Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all the write-ups and the how-tos and watched online and read and re-read the FSM about 1000 times.

I cannot seem to be able to get the timing chain cover off. I can get the passenger side to pull away a bit but it binds up on the dowel/post before I can pull it off.

The driver side/bottom is the real problem. I cannot get it to even crack after about half way down from the top.

I'm worried about pulling on what appears to be cast aluminum too hard - I know the first time cracking this should be sticky but this is REALLY hard to pull out, like so hard it feels like there is still a bolt in there.

Is that normal? How do I get this thing off?! Thanks.

Here is the top view:

The passenger side:

The driver side:

Lower driver side (this is where it almost seems to be still bolted):

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I know you have said this but usually in my experience there is a missed bolt that causes this but I haven't attempted this yet on the newer Xterras so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know you have said this but usually in my experience there is a missed bolt that causes this but I haven't attempted this yet on the newer Xterras so I can't say for sure.
Thanks, any idea where that 'hidden' bolt might be? I'm stumped... There is a 'hole' on the driver side of the case where it appears to be tight that actually does have a bolt head in it. I'm not sure what it holds on though so I didn't remove it as it wasn't indicated as being required to remove. I don't want to remove something that turns out later to be difficult to re-install. The main reason I didn't remove it though was because it appears to be deeper than the actual cover anyway - if that makes sense.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Seems like there should be another bolt on the underside? I thought I remembered 2? I know they were a PIA to take out without dropping the diff. I only see one hanging vertically in the second to last picture??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like there should be another bolt on the underside? I thought I remembered 2? I know they were a PIA to take out without dropping the diff. I only see one hanging vertically in the second to last picture??
Thanks, the one on the driver side is completely removed. The other won't drop out because of the diff but all the guides I've read said it shouldn't matter?

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Here are the removal instructions from the 2005 OEM service manual. Does this help or do you already have this?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the entire FSM, thanks. I just cannot figure out what I'm missing...

·
on line
1,479 Posts
So, you have the 25 bolts out + the two from the oil pan? If so I think it's just being a beotch. I would just keep working at it real slowly so as not to warp it. Maybe a little PB blaster to loosen it up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, you have the 25 bolts out + the two from the oil pan? If so I think it's just being a beotch. I would just keep working at it real slowly so as not to warp it. Maybe a little PB blaster to loosen it up.
You were right. It was being a b*tch. Finally got it off tonight. I'm about 12 hours into this thing already... first time for everything is a killer. Thanks for all the help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,479 Posts
You were right. It was being a b*tch. Finally got it off tonight. I'm about 12 hours into this thing already... first time for everything is a killer. Thanks for all the help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Congrats man! It always feels good when you get past something tough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts