Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying that this is a 2008 Xterra 4WD with 265K on the body. This has been a project that I have rebuilt for my daughter from being a parts rig to a running truck. Currently I am having an issue where the truck does not want to downshift when you accellerate hard. Everything else seems to be fine. Shifting is occasionally a little hard from first to second but it shifts regularly with no slipping on accelleration. Initially, I was having this same issue with some other troubles so I took it to a local transmission shop who promptly told me that it was the bands going and I needed to replace the trans. I went ahead and bought a Transmission online that said it had been tested and came with a 6 month warranty. I have installed the trans and its still having the same (not wanting to downshift) issue. I get no transmission codes but the codes I do get are for the cats, a small evap leak, cruise control, and a C1156 code.

C1156 is the one that gets my attention because on one hand it says something about the wheel speed control circuit. I have tested all of the wheel speed sensors and they seem to test either 15.00 or 22.00 which is about the same as my 05 X that runs perfectly. However, one of them tests high at 32.00 but I know that normally if a component has failed it will test at zero ohms.

research online shows me that it could be any of the following:

Faulty Steering Angle Sensor
Steering Angle Sensor harness is open or shorted
Steering Angle Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty ABS Actuator and Electric Unit (Control Unit)
CAN communication line

I am inclined to think tis something to do with the steering angle sensor as I replaced the clockspring and turn signals (would also likely cause the issue with the Crusie)

Anyway, Im looking for any suggestions or recommendations for which way I can go with this. Im really feeling like I have no idea how to get to the bottom if it without taking it to a dealership which I really would rather not do, due to the cost of labor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m having the same thing on my 2010 x w/126k miles. At high speed and rpm’s it struggles to downshift from that high gear. For example when I let off the gas while going up a mtn 60-70 mph. Letting off the gas completely and it stays at 4000rpm so I have to give a little fuel and coax it into shifting down. No dash lights on and no other slipping or tranny issues

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I will stir the pot a little.

Before going very far, I would confirm your not dealing with SMOD.
If your unaware of this term, you can find a topic of such in the powertrain section of the forums.
In layman's terms, your year model Xterra is known to have a faulty radiator which can leak coolant into the transmission lines which pass through it. Generally speaking many owners will experience odd shifting prior to the transmission ultimately failing. A check of the fluid in your radiator, overflow and transmission can assist in detecting this issue (smod looks like a foamy frothy strawberry milkshake). If you have an original radiator, swap it out.

It's possible you may have a bad swapped transmission.
I've heard of an issue with the throttle positioning sensor which caused a similar problem.
Check YouTube for a "How To" check and replace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts