Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this is going to be a decent amount of information, so bear with me.

So, I bought my Xterra in Spring of 2019, with ~121,000 miles on it. Before taking it off the dealer lot, plugged in my OBD II Bluetooth module and the truck had a misfire on one of the cylinders. Dealer went through replaced all the coil packs and the misfire was gone the spark plugs were new at the time. They also replaced the rear shocks because they were leaking. Fast forward to June of 2020, I had a whining noise coming from the engine and the issue was determined to be timing guides. I replaced all the timing chains, guides, and tensioners, secondary and primary. This fixed the whining issue. Earlier in 2020 when wheeling Top of World I had noticed some rattling noise, our group suspected the exhaust shield, so I didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time, but around November the rattling noise turned into knocking. The knocking was apparent on startup and between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM. I used a stethoscope and found the knocking to be on the bottom end. I removed the engine took the bottom end apart and it ended up being a spun rod bearing. Replaced all the bearings crank and rod, and rod cap bolts, as well as oil seals and bottom block bolts. After fixing that my truck drove perfectly and I was happy to get it back out onto the road and wheeling again.

This brings me to my most recent problem. After coming back from Moab in-between Fruita and Junction, the truck started rattling and the engine light came on. The code came up as P0301 (Misfire Cylinder 1). So our group pulled over took the intake off checked all the spark plugs and coil packs to see if the misfire would move to a different cylinder. It did not. I had also consumed around a quart of oil respectively, this lead to suspecting bad compression rings. Same day, drove back to campus did a compression test on cylinder 1 and we got 25psi, during the wet compression test we barely saw a 1psi gain. This most likely means the compression rings and probably the cylinder wall is toast.

I am reaching out to the community because I really love my truck and don't intend on getting rid of it. Plus I enjoy doing the work on my truck myself. Saves me a ton of money especially as a college student.

All work that I have done on my truck has been accordingly to the factory service manual, incase any one had their doubts, which is still okay I am no certified mechanic. I have not done a leak down test yet, but I am leaning towards replacing the whole engine. I would appreciate anyone's insight or help into what may have gone wrong, or other things to check for. Also if anyone knows where to source engines in and around the Colorado area, that information would also be appreciated.

Again any help or criticisms are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Usually that error code goes along with a bad cat convertor. Check them too.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,111 Posts
I would say that a primary cat failed prior to your buying it and dust was pulled into the engine starting the destruction. Your work on the bottom end slowed the process a bit, but once you were up and going again it continued (more catalyst ingested?) and destroyed the rings and scored the cylinder wall.
Did the dealer say anything about replacing cats before you bought it?
The rattle that you thought was a heat shield was most likely broken up catalyst.

I’m armchairing this obviously, without being there to inspect the engine and other bits. But based on others’ history my gut leans to this probability.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say that a primary cat failed prior to your buying it and dust was pulled into the engine starting the destruction. Your work on the bottom end slowed the process a bit, but once you were up and going again it continued (more catalyst ingested?) and destroyed the rings and scored the cylinder wall.
Did the dealer say anything about replacing cats before you bought it?
The rattle that you thought was a heat shield was most likely broken up catalyst.

I’m armchairing this obviously, without being there to inspect the engine and other bits. But based on others’ history my gut leans to this probability.
Passenger side catalytic converter was replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually that error code goes along with a bad cat convertor. Check them too.
Getting a code on Cadillac convertor. Can my 2005 run without it ? Thinking about having the cad cut out and replace with a straight pipe.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Getting a code on Cadillac convertor. Can my 2005 run without it ? Thinking about having the cad cut out and replace with a straight pipe.

this is a nissan forum not a cadillac forum!

but, the answer is, you need to replace the cat. deleting it will not fix the code or solve the issue.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Passenger side catalytic converter was replaced.
man idk at this point, youve already got a good bit of $$ into it, so i can see wanting to salvge this engine, butat the same time, with as much issue as its giving you, I could see just swapping in a lower mile vq being the better long term option.

OOORRR just throw a vk56 in it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did end up putting in a lower mile VQ in, ~22,000 miles on the engine, so hopefully that will last a good while. What was the code you received from the OBD?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I said my 2005 which meant Xterra

Forgive me, perhaps there is a language barrier or some confusion. the part your referencing is called a Catalytic Converter. not a Cadillac converter. I was making a joke about the word "Cadillac".

most refer it these parts as "cats", not cad's.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Is this what happens to an Xterra when its Cadillac Converter fails?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts