Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sure enough, I go to put my sh rock rear diff cover on today, and get under the truck and notice the damn cover is bent at the bottom and leaking oil, called Nissan dealership since all the parts warehouses are closed, the parts guy goes " I don't believe they sell the cover separate, its the whole differential , call back Monday" is this true???

I'm going to take it off now, I believe I might be able to hammer back in flat edge on my vise, please advise

Got it at rausch last weekend...

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
When I installed my shrock cover after the MDXC run I noticed the bottom of my cover bent back a good bit. Wasn't leaking and I have no idea how. I hammered it flat and also put it in a vice and cranked down and it was good to go. Lubed it up and threw the cover on. No problems since.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
2,868 Posts
It's likely that just removing the bolts from the diff cover prior to putting on the shrock diff skid will cause it to leak too (most folks on here experience that). So, don't put any fluid in it until you bolt the shrock skid on it too. Also, don't use a torque wrench on the cover bolts, just tighten them up by hand until they are snug.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It's likely that just removing the bolts from the diff cover prior to putting on the shrock diff skid will cause it to leak too (most folks on here experience that). So, don't put any fluid in it until you bolt the shrock skid on it too. Also, don't use a torque wrench on the cover bolts, just tighten them up by hand until they are snug.
that's what I did and my diff cover still leaks a bit. I just need to find time to drain it( again) peal both covers back and re seal the Stock cover to fix that pesky leak

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I got it off, reshaped the cover via vise and anvil, and have used the permatex sealant. Going to dinner now , will add pics of the busted cover, feedback on the shtick cover design and update after I fill with oil, lol, fingers crossef

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Must have been your crazy trail leader.... :iconbiggrin:

I was able to get my shrock diff skid on without resealing but it appears I am in the minority and it wasn't leaking to start. It sounds like it was good idea to straighten it and it am pretty sure it will seal up fine...

·
Registered
860 Posts
When I did mine. I just drained the fluid first so there would be no chance of the weight of the fluid breaking the seal. I had just changed my fluid so I pumped it back in. No leaks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Must have been your crazy trail leader.... :iconbiggrin:

Nah, lol!

Here are some pics, this cover is so flimsy, I can't believe they made it put off aluminum

Hammered back, used the shrock cover to act as a template

The seal has held so far, tomorrow I will take it on the road. Highly suggest ramps and removing the spare tire

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Derek get a hold of me or carl we both have stock covers laying around.. for $0 for you !

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ryan, I think you're right. But like you said, I cant believe they would make the cover that thin compared to the rest of the it. I could literally bend that cover with my hands.

Keith, its holding so far, but you might get a call out of nowhere some day! Next time I see you I'll take it off your hands, thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts