Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought "La Rana", a very well built xterra, however my driver side rear axle blew. I think he has a M226 rear axle but I am not sure. It says he put a titian diff on the front with front V8 Pathy axle. Does this mean the rear axe will also belong to a pathfinder v8??? All I know is that he has ARB air lockers for a Nissan M226, the axle measure 31.25 inches and it is a 32 spline. Would anyone know how I can determine what axle I have to reorder? I saw on Car Domain that he wrote it has a Dana 44 rear axle, and I am not to sure what that means. Any help in finding out what axle I have would be great.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You have a Nissan Xterra M226. He swapped in a Nissan Titan M205 in the front, but that holds no bearing over the rear end. He listed it as a Dana 44 because the M226 is Nissan's Dana 44 variant. Regardless, your rear axle is an M226 so that is the axle shaft that you need. Check the splines when you order, your M226 will be the older version...I don't know if the spline counts changed when the version changed. Either way, since you know your current spline count it shouldn't be a big deal.

Edit: Being that you are now the owner of this Xterra though, I highly recommend reading that link that Chrishaynesusa posted for you. It should tell you everything you need to know about that truck. Good knowledge to have about a truck that is built to that level. Many shops won't know what they are looking at under there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ThePlasticOne, Killswitch, and chrishaynesusa, I will see what can be done. The thing that got me was the shop that I took it to told me the Xterra axle he reordered for me didn't fit because it was too short. He told me it was not an xterra axle out of the la rana.... but I don't think he knows what he is talking about so I am going to take it to a Nissan dealership to get it done. Thank you very much for your help.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
If it has an ARB in the rear, that replaced a Nissan factory e-locker - which I believe was the case, but correct me if I'm wrong - the axle that was ordered was too short because the ARB install requires the shafts to be swapped side-for-side.

I do not know why this happens to be the case (and at the end of the day I don't suppose it really matters, other than for the sake of satisfying our curiosity); but that's my guess ... unless he ordered the shaft for a c200 (non-Offroad, auto-trans models).

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Thank you ThePlasticOne, Killswitch, and chrishaynesusa, I will see what can be done. The thing that got me was the shop that I took it to told me the Xterra axle he reordered for me didn't fit because it was too short. He told me it was not an xterra axle out of the la rana.... but I don't think he knows what he is talking about so I am going to take it to a Nissan dealership to get it done. Thank you very much for your help.
Here is the answer:

Yes it's an M226 that you have, but heres the tricky part. When you put an ARB air locker into a previously E-locked M226 as both LaRana and myself have done, you must swap the left and right axles (which are different lengths), so when you broke the rear DRIVERS side axle, it was previously swapped, so you need to order the PASSENGER side axle. Crazy odd as it sounds. Little known fact that very few know. Now you do. Boom. Mystery solved.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Ha! Finally, it was me that snaked a response while someone else was typing ... usually it's the other way 'round.

:eek:ccasion5: ... hmmm, now I think I need a beer ... or maybe more margarita ... decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Ha! Finally, it was me that snaked a response while someone else was typing ... usually it's the other way 'round.

:eek:ccasion5: ... hmmm, now I think I need a beer ... or maybe more margarita ... decisions, decisions.
Why choose...pick both. Now which first?

Well played Jay...circle gets a square.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in savannah

not too far from me at all. Im in statesboro. Definitely wouldnt mind helping and would sure like to see this thing.
I live in savannah and I been to Statesboro a lot. I will be back in savannah after ranger school, so around next July. It would be great to meet up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts