Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been looking around tire rack for my next set of tires. as my x is my first truck (or the first truck i cared about ie my old 98 explorer) i just went with whatever used tires i could find. but with my x i want to go exploring and trailing, something i never did with my explorer. i was looking at goodyears wrangler with kevlar. they seem, by reviews, to be a good choice, but at a little over $700 plus s&h im looking into other options for the time being. i want to to stay with the stock size tire. also tires thatll be good on and off road. as far as off road i mostly travel rough jeep trails and some deep mudding. any advice would be helpful. THANKS! :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You will definately want an AT, no "road" tire will like much mud. I would recommend something like the GY Duratrac or the Kelly Safari TSR(basically the same tire), I have the Kelly and have been happy with it's road manners and it does well with snow and offroading. I have not put it thru any thick gooey mud though.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. ill look into them.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
i went with goodyear duratracs. have them on the stock OR model size on my s model and love them.

they work great off and on road. there is road noise but it's cool.

with that said, i had big issues at first because they inatalled 2 bad tires, at least. They didn't become bad enough for me to notice until the 1st rotation and balance it seems. after that nothing would fix them besides replacing.

long story short, i got 4 new tires under warranty and each one had to be road forced. they went though 6 new tires to get 4 good ones.

since then, i jsut rotate them myself, back to front, front to back with no cross. that's how the manual says to do it so maybe crossing them ruins them i dunno.

anyhow, i have rotated mine 2x in 9k miles and so far smooth as glass and fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with General Grabber AT-2s

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-at-

I got em from my local mechanic for $160.00 each.

They ride nice, not too hard.

Low noise when compared wiht "All-season" tires.

Haven't had them off road or in snow yet, but another Xterra owner told me they're great for the occassional off road run, and besides...

They look killer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts