Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's good everyone. I am currently looking for a new car that can be used for work and for daily use. I was watching some videos on different cars and I think the Xterra is perfect. I found someone near me selling their 2003 Xterra with 200k miles for an asking price of $1,000 but the radiator and catalytic converter needs to be replaced. My question is, is it worth getting the car with those mechanical issues for a DIY repair?

I don't know anything mechanical related to cars, but I do have the internet to learn how to do anything. I work construction so I think this car will be a perfect fit for me since it has a roomy trunk and it also has a roof rack which is also another benefit. Please let me know your thoughts!

EDIT: I will not be getting the car to save myself from any other problems. Thanks for saving my ass!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
IMHO... if the cat converter needs replacing that is a red flag that something is wrong and possibly the engine is ruined or will be ruined. Stay away!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought my car because it had issues that I knew I could fix (clutch & timing chain whine) & got it cheap.

With that for context, I would stay away OP. Unless the seller can document the service history & exactly what went wrong and when, like the first guy said, there are red flags.

Catalytic converters usually go bad because something else is wrong (more $$$ to fix) & older cars with radiator issues are more likely to have been run hot for longer than is prudent, potentially leading to a host of very $$$ issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMHO... if the cat converter needs replacing that is a red flag that something is wrong and possibly the engine is ruined or will be ruined. Stay away!
I will stay away then. Can't afford any other car problems since I am on a budget. Thanks for the comment (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my car because it had issues that I knew I could fix (clutch & timing chain whine) & got it cheap.

With that for context, I would stay away OP. Unless the seller can document the service history & exactly what went wrong and when, like the first guy said, there are red flags.

Catalytic converters usually go bad because something else is wrong (more $$$ to fix) & older cars with radiator issues are more likely to have been run hot for longer than is prudent, potentially leading to a host of very $$$ issues.
Thanks for your opinion. I can't afford to have any other problems that will be costly since I have a small budget. I assumed it could've been a DIY fix but I didn't know any other potential problems. Thanks for your comment (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts