Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My 2006 Xterra just 100,000 miles, and the stock suspension has seen better days. I know that the rear shocks are shot, and I am sure the front struts are not far behind. The other issue of course is that the rear springs bottom out at times....I almost launched a rear seat passenger through the roof when I hit a bump on the highway yesterday.
So where do I go from here?
My first plan was to simply replace the shocks/struts with Bilstein HD shocks, and do nothing else. But I soon realized that Ironman and OME make full suspension kits for the X. I do not have and extra weight added to my X, but I "may" tow a trailer (under 2,000 pounds) in the future. Does anyone have some pointers as to where I should go?

If I just replaced the shocks/struts, will that help the rear end bottoming out issue?

For a vehicle that spends 97% of it's time on road, is a full suspension needed?

Will a new OME or Ironman kit help or hurt the ride on the road?

What are the pro's and con's to the OME vs Ironman kit? I have an Ironman kit on my 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser, and it seems to be working well. On the X, the cost between the two kits is about $150. One plus to the Ironman kit, is that the distributor is local so no shipping charges would apply.

Of course the full suspension is over triple the cost of just new shocks, but is it worth it? We plan on keeping the X for at least a few more years.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
if you just replace the shocks, it may help the bottoming out issue a tad, but since the leaf packs sound like theyre shot, theyre going to wear those struts out much faster because the strut will be doing a lot more work. my truck bottomed out bad and then i lifted it. I added an AAL in the rear as well as bilstein 5125 extended shocks and prg adjustable shackles. I haven't bottomed out since and the ride is great. you can go the OME route because they have everything for you in one nice package, or you can do a mix-n-match package from nisstec or prg. idk anything about ironman. if i were you i'd just upgrade everything and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you upgrade to anything, (OME, Radflos, TJM's. ect) you will notice a huge improvement in the ride. Just be sure to change out your rear leaf springs and not just your rear shocks. The springs do all the work, the shocks dampen the blow.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps this thread will help on just doing shocks:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65432

On the bottoming out you'd have to see how good (or bad) your leaf packs are.
Well are the front coil springs usually good even after 100,000 miles? So are you saying that it might be fine just to replace the rear springs, and do shocks and struts on all four corners?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Hi everyone,

If I just replaced the shocks/struts, will that help the rear end bottoming out issue?

For a vehicle that spends 97% of it's time on road, is a full suspension needed?

Will a new OME or Ironman kit help or hurt the ride on the road?

What are the pro's and con's to the OME vs Ironman kit? I have an Ironman kit on my 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser, and it seems to be working well. On the X, the cost between the two kits is about $150. One plus to the Ironman kit, is that the distributor is local so no shipping charges would apply.

Of course the full suspension is over triple the cost of just new shocks, but is it worth it? We plan on keeping the X for at least a few more years.
1. No, just shocks won't help, much, if at all.
2. No, but it helps.
3. Depends. If you live in a cold climate, you may find the ride stiff in the cold. If you're sticking with stock size tires, in a P rating, then I think you'll be ok. I found the combo of cold weather, OME shocks, and stiff E load rated tires to be harsh on rough pavement. Now running D loads, with less tire pressure and in a warmer climate, and really like it.
4. No idea, I have the OME and like it.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Well are the front coil springs usually good even after 100,000 miles? So are you saying that it might be fine just to replace the rear springs, and do shocks and struts on all four corners?

Thanks,
Zack
Typically yes, though the front coils are cheap to replace. I believe they are like $60 each.

Sooo, if you are looking to retain stock ride quality and height (when it was new) - I would get 4 bilstein HD shocks, 2 OEM front coils, and a better aftermarket leaf pack or a stock pack and reinforce it with something (roadmaster, AAL, airbags, timbrens). That should be reasonable in cost (if you wanted to save some coin you could get cheaper shocks, your real problem is your rear leaf pack). Its also something you could install on your own without the need to get camber bolts, shims, shackles, etc or other adjustments required with a full lift. Though, keep in mind you should have a shop install the coils on the front shocks, messing with a spring compressor at home is not a good idea. If you already have the shocks off its only like $40 for a shop to switch them over.

Alternatively, if your budget allows, you could get a full suspension setup. Most folks like the OME kit for a good balance between on-road quality and off road capability. However, seeing that your X rarely will be off roaded a kit like that, even one as balanced as the OME, is likely overkill for your application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts