Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I searched and searched and couldnt come up with anything that sounded quite right.

So here goes. Long story short, my truck was sitting at my parents' house for a month while I was away. A few days before I got back my Mom decides she's going to take it and pressure wash the **** out of it before I get back (including the inside of the wheel wells (minus fender liners) and underside of door areas). Now I've told them not to do that, but it happened anyways.

eff me.

I get in my truck after my month back (it's been below freezing for a few days after the pressure wash, but has warmed up to about 8 degrees for a day or so) and start it up, but the slip, VDC off, and ABS lights come on. AKA the trifecta of ****. And to top it off, it wont go into 4hi or low (not even any noise from the transfer case, no matter what I do.)

Does anybody have any ideas on what the hell happened? it's now sitting in my warm garage with heaters pointed at it, because the only thing I could think of that's happened is that some water got pushed into some wiring somewhere and ker****ulated the whole system. why it would span out and affect the 4Wd is beyond me. checked all the relays and reset the computer, but still no go. help!

·
Registered
988 Posts
You need to get it scanned to find out which sensor is causing the issue. From my experience if the fronts are bad it will prevent you from switching into 4WD, the rears you still can.

The freeze thaw from the water may have shifted the sensor if the bolt wasn't tightened all the way or if the plastic cracked. Either that or possibly the pressure from the water dislodged the wire where it enters the quick connect by the coil bucket.

Start with a good visual, then remove both sensors from the hub and try cleaning then re-assembling them. If nothings changed then go and get it scanned to find out which side is the problem. Either way I am 99% certain it is one of your front 2 sensors acting up.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys, I went and detached all the connections on the front wires, but i'll tackle the actual sensors now. see what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
good luck man! I had that happen to mine. Turns out it was also partnered with with "transmission/radiator" problem. Had to get my transmission rebuilt and an upgraded radiator put in. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah so all the sensors look connected, and good to go, not sure if one of them is gone though. ****. gonna take it in and have the bloody thing diagnosed

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Thats what the lights are for....to tell you there is a fault that needs to be read.

I kinda doubt the pressure washing had anything to do with it. Modern connectors and wiring is pretty well sealed.

Could be a sensor that rusted or corroded or a rodent chewing on something.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the pressure washing was what did it for sure. I mean, last time I pressure washed under the titan, and sent all the same **** haywire. waterproofing is pretty underpowered when faced with the 1000 psi or so coming out of a gun nozzle at close range... I think it has to do with the junction box right behind the front passenger side wheel well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A couple weeks ago my oil pressure sensor went nuts for a few hrs after power washing the undercarriage. Sealed my a$$!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha turns out the front abs wire has been cut in half by the pressure washer! easiest fix in the world! whoo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts