Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

It's been a while since I last visited. I still have the Xterra and I need your help. The X had been running great up until three weeks ago. At 247K miles, I got stranded on the highway while taking the GF back home on a late Sunday night. All of a sudden lost power and engine felt like it was straining. Couldn't accelerate past 3000 rpm. Towed it home and began troubleshooting. Plugs, coils, and injectors all checked out fine. Got a code for O2 sensor on bank 1. Replaced with new one but issue still persisted. Towed it to dealer for additional troubleshooting. Turns out the passenger side cat needs to be replaced, but the bigger issue is the ECM is toast. I was informed that Nissan has discontinued the part for the manual transmission model. Part number is 23710-ZP33A. None in stock anywhere. Have searched at multiple dealerships and online. So my question is, does anyone have a source for getting replacement ECMs and or know of a place that can repair them? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you can get used ECM from ebay or junk yard and need car programmer who can do reprogramming to used ECM (from junkyard or ebay or whatever).
Good body shop, especially shop fix or repair totaled car, can do that. Are you familiar with J2534?? If not, you should not do it by yourself.
Usually, reprogramming costs around $100. Used ECM probably costs around $100-$200.
Possibly you need key programming also because some of the ECM stores key data in ECM.
If you decide this route, you have to really really make sure parts number of newly gained ECM is exactly same as your current ECM.
If you don't have confident, you should go to reputable body shop who can do reprogramming.
Bad part of nissan is that nissan software and device is very expensive so not many body shop does not have those setup.
If you gonna go this path, find body shop or car programmer can handle this stuff. Then, buy used ECM.

Or another choice is that some of the company offers repair the ECM and send it back to you. Bad side costs more, but you don't need deal with reprogramming step.
This path might not need key programming possibly. Key programming is probably $100 if you ask mobile key programmer.
I don't know the detail about the service. Just google "ECM repair".

Nissan dealer does not offer these stuffs. Nissan can program new ECM only.

good luck! If you need any question, let me know!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Howdy Folks,

It's been a while since I last visited. I still have the Xterra and I need your help. The X had been running great up until three weeks ago. At 247K miles, I got stranded on the highway while taking the GF back home on a late Sunday night. All of a sudden lost power and engine felt like it was straining. Couldn't accelerate past 3000 rpm. Towed it home and began troubleshooting. Plugs, coils, and injectors all checked out fine. Got a code for O2 sensor on bank 1. Replaced with new one but issue still persisted. Towed it to dealer for additional troubleshooting. Turns out the passenger side cat needs to be replaced, but the bigger issue is the ECM is toast. I was informed that Nissan has discontinued the part for the manual transmission model. Part number is 23710-ZP33A. None in stock anywhere. Have searched at multiple dealerships and online. So my question is, does anyone have a source for getting replacement ECMs and or know of a place that can repair them? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
I have an ECM from my 05S When my last X was misfiring I replaced it with identical numbers... thought was bad a ECM, happened to be engine failure with misfires .. PM me

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies everyone. Short story is I let the Xterra go and bought another vehicle. It was a sad day but my options/budget was very limited. New job with a long commute means I needed reliable transportation. I'm gathering up extra parts I've accumulated over the years. I will post once gathered up and photos taken. Updates to come later. It's been an awesome 13 years being a proud owner of an Xterra. This forum has some of the nicest and most helpful people I've come across. Who knows, maybe someday I'll get another one. Stay tuned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts