Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to report on my quest to find a new key for the X. When I bought it the dealer only had one key and fob, I had them knock $200 off the price knowing it might be expensive to get a new one.

I had stopped by the ACE Hardware store about three weeks ago and found out they can do it, but didn't have the correct blank for mine. He told me if I could find the blank for their system (Hy-Ko) he would cut and program for free.

Well, I ordered it from here

It came in the mail today, so I ran up to Ace and although it was a different guy and had not done a Nissan before, he tackled it. It's a multi-step process.

1 Read current key in machine
2 Read new key to verify
3 Cut key (Had to touch it up a bit after the first cut to get it to fit)
4 You have to put the new key in the ignition, turn to on for 5 seconds, then off and out for 2 seconds 3 times. (Had to repeat that step again, he hadn't turned it to ON, just ACC) :scratch:
5 Back in the store to read the original again
6 Write the code to new key.

Even though it took a while, he was curious as he wanted to learn how to do them correctly. They didn't charge me and I'm happy to now have a spare key.

Oh, and get this, they just got the correct blank in at the store about two days ago he said. They charge $79.00 for the blank and programming.

So, if anyone needs a key, hit up your local ACE.

Next step will be to find the correct Murano key with fob to use as my primary.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got lucky with my X, it came with one key and fob. I ordered another fob off ebay then started hunting for a key. A week later the dealer called and said the previous owner had just come in with the spare keys. I now have two full keys, the valet key and three fobs!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got lucky with my X, it came with one key and fob. I ordered another fob off ebay then started hunting for a key. A week later the dealer called and said the previous owner had just come in with the spare keys. I now have two full keys, the valet key and three fobs!
I was hoping that would happen to me, but I guess not.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
I bought 3 spare keys on eBay for only $15 each. My local locksmith cut all 3 and programmed the X for all the keys for $25 total. So, those prices sound crazy pricey to me. And yes, all 4 of my keys open, start and drive the X fine. Just saying... I also got fibs for $10 each and programmed those myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought 3 spare keys on eBay for only $15 each. My local locksmith cut all 3 and programmed the X for all the keys for $25 total. So, those prices sound crazy pricey to me. And yes, all 4 of my keys open, start and drive the X fine. Just saying... I also got fibs for $10 each and programmed those myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're lucky, I bought a couple of keys off Ebay, but the only guy around here that has the programmer wanted $95 to do just one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts