Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm am looking at doing my first lift and I want to install it myself( I have moderate experience) and I want to do it for around $300. I will mainly be muddling, some trail ridding. I was looking at the PRG front strut spacer and rear shackles? What do yall think? Any thing better you would recommend? Anything special I will have to do after install? Also I want the ride to feel very close to stock or better.

·
on line
504 Posts
I have the basic PRG lift ( spacers and shackles ) with a Helwig Helper Spring. I love the stance and I myself use it for hunting/mild offloading.

For the price you can't beat it. I installed it myself! Not hard if you have air tools.

·
on line
504 Posts
You can do the install with just hand tools, just speeds up the install with an air gun...

·
Registered
68 Posts
On my 06 I run the PRG 2" Spacers, Bumpstops, Cam Bolts, and I went for the the rear Dual AAL in lieu of the shackles. I also removed the rear sway. This set up handles well and is great on road as well. It feels nearly the same as stock. I would recommend going for springs then maybe later adding shackles. The shackles lower the back end of the leaf pack at an angle it was not designed for and can cause the rear pack to flatten more quickly (what I was told my Greg). Springs also greatly improve bottoming resistance. I don't run the shims and I have not experienced driveline vibrations supposedly its like 1 in 100 that will experience it. Long story short I would spring for the Dual AAL or Single AAL. If you want to really get the suspension scoop I would recommend giving Greg at PRG a call. He is super nice and will answer any questions. :cheers:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my 06 I run the PRG 2" Spacers, Bumpstops, Cam Bolts, and I went for the the rear Dual AAL in lieu of the shackles. I also removed the rear sway. This set up handles well and is great on road as well. It feels nearly the same as stock. I would recommend going for springs then maybe later adding shackles. The shackles lower the back end of the leaf pack at an angle it was not designed for and can cause the rear pack to flatten more quickly (what I was told my Greg). Springs also greatly improve bottoming resistance. I don't run the shims and I have not experienced driveline vibrations supposedly its like 1 in 100 that will experience it. Long story short I would spring for the Dual AAL or Single AAL. If you want to really get the suspension scoop I would recommend giving Greg at PRG a call. He is super nice and will answer any questions. :cheers:
Can you tell a difference in the removed sway bar?does your car drive different? Do you recommend one to remove it? If so why?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah I would definitely remove it especially if you add springs. It doesn't do much of anything really. And it's really easy to put back on if you have second thoughts. The extra springs help the body roll too.

·
on line
504 Posts
I was going to remove mine a few weeks back as the rear sway-bar bushings were beat out. So I removed it.....

Not for me. I like doing moderate off road such as hunting cutlines etc, nothing major... but I also rip down the highway at 75mph.

I ended up going to Nissan and replacing the end links and bushings.

I preferred mine left on. Each to their own though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts