Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the night before last I made a bit of a mistake and left my X outside in -30 degree wether... yesterday morning when I went to auto start it, it would crank once and stop so I went outside and tried with the key in the ignition. It would turnover and start for maybe 1-2 seconds then just die. After that I killed my battery and had to wait until lunch when I brought my friends car over and hooked it up to jump my battery. This went on for about 15 minutes when it finally started and stayed running, granted it did not sound good at all! I let it run for about 45 minutes to try to get it nice and warm. when I went back outside I got in and put it in reverse pushed the gas with no response I just idled backward, put it in drive and same story. On the dash my VDC light, OD off light, and Service Engine Soon lights were illuminated. I then turned off the X and started it agian and she started right up like normal. The VDC and OD lights turned off but the Service Engine Soon light has stayed illuminated... also after I turned it off and back on I tried to put it in reverse and push the gas at which time I then got a response from the pedal, put it in drive and same thing, I got response again.

when I got out and was walking around to go inside I noticed what looked like and turned out to be high pressure oil splatter on the snow. I dont actually know from where under the X it came from because I had backed out of my driveway and then back in.

later that night I got the X in the garage and looked under the front to see oil all over the skid plate access cover for the oil filter so I pulled it off and saw oil all over the side of the filter.... though I dont believe it is still leaking from there that I can see anyway. I guess my main questions are...

1) Why is my Service Engine Soon light still on and how do I clear it.

2) Did I screw anything up?

3) Should I do an oil change and change out that filter ASAP?

As a side note all my guages are reading normal as far as Oil Temp/Pressure Engine Temp. etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Step 1: Get a new battery and make sure the connections are soid and clean. If not, fix them.

Step 2: Get new oil and a filter

Step 3: Change your oil and filter, and pay attention to how much oil comes out and make sure you put enough in. Also look at the filter to see why it was leaking. Maybe it wasnt on tight enough and the drop in temp cause a leak?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The oil level still looks fine and there is no sign of a continuous leak today. The Service Engine Soon light is still on however.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to run downtown today so I think I will do that. I have never had to do that before, do they charge for that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok all, I visited the local auto parts store and used their diagnostic tool. Here are the 2 error codes I am getting. When I asked the store employees if they knew what the codes were they had no clue. Im counting on y'all to help guide me in the right direction to get this taken care of! Thanks again!

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Codes sound like the ones generated by low voltage (low battery plays havoc with the computer). Reset and ignor.
The black stuff, soot mixed with water. Cold starts are rich so they will start and run. That makes for soot in the exhaust until the engine warms up and burns it off. The exhaust also has weep holes. So the condensed water (water is a natural byproduct of combustion) will drip out and not for pools of water in the exhaust. If you don't find any other issues with leaks (which I doubt you will), it is simply exhaust dripping.

So calm down. You were a victim of a weak battery and nothing else.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
That tool that read the codes, will also erase them.
It may also be a good idea to fully reset the computer, unhook the battery and leave it off for a little while for the memory to clear out. In which case you won't need the code reader to erase them.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Codes sound like the ones generated by low voltage (low battery plays havoc with the computer). Reset and ignor.
The black stuff, soot mixed with water. Cold starts are rich so they will start and run. That makes for soot in the exhaust until the engine warms up and burns it off. The exhaust also has weep holes. So the condensed water (water is a natural byproduct of combustion) will drip out and not for pools of water in the exhaust. If you don't find any other issues with leaks (which I doubt you will), it is simply exhaust dripping.

:salute:
great post.

·
Registered
17 Posts

+1 to this ... happened to wife's X too ... the old battery (original and ~5 year old) was found cracked ... now there is deep cycle battery inside :)

for diagnostics and code clearing ... I'd recommend one of OBD II bluetooth dongles from eBay (~$20) and cellphone app like Torque, Car Gauge, Dash Command or some similar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts