Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a new to me 2008 Offroad. It's been making very loud grinding / mechanically destructive noises from the front end. The wheel on the outside of the corner feels like it wants to lock up / stop rotating and it's worse with an aggressive turn in either direction, even at slow speeds. It's also not constant and can disappear mid turn or be take some patience to initiate. It's very hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from other than it is forward. You can feel the noise through the pedal. It does not happen in reverse. The test drive and pre-purchase mechanical inspection said only that the passenger side lower ball joint was bad and that the front brakes had uneven wear - 1 pad out of 4 was down to 1mm, the rest were 6mm.

The noise first turned up after driving it 30 or 40 km from the lot. I replaced the passenger side ball joints and wheel bearing assembly when I did the brakes. I figured that the most likely culprit for uneven brake wear would be a siezed caliper, so I replaced calipers and pads on both sides. The problem disappeared and I drove 100km with no issue. I assumed that the wheel bearing had been the culprit as the old one was definitely at the end of it's life. I then replaced the bearing and CV axle on the driver side and drove another 30km, again with no problems. And then the noise came back - pretty much the same in quality as before, but more often. By the time I nursed it home, any corner at 10km or above would set the noise off. So...unless the new Timkin bearings failed in 130km, it's not the bearings. Unless there is something really ugly going on with the ABS, it's not the brakes (or shield). And it's not the CV axle on the driver side. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ideas:

100km later? It is probably a good idea to dismantle the brakes, clean, and re-lube. But that is unlikely to be your issue given the symptoms.

Check the WBHAs. Raise the front end partially, grab the tire and check for vertical movement. There should be minimal play.

WBHA = wheel bearing hub assembly

Have the lower control arms, and tie rod ends been replaced? Sway bar bushings are probably due for replacement too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I cried uncle and took it into a shop. It is the ABS system engaging the brakes on the outside front wheel...or perhaps it is the VDS system engaging the brakes while turning. Either way, the grinding noise is the caliper being engaged automatically while turning, even if I'm not braking. The mechanic suggested that I have the steering sensor re-calibrated, and if that doesn't do it, it might be the steering clock spring / sensor. One of the ABS sensors is unplugged to disable ABS and the vehicle drives fine. But I want ABS, so while I might be closer to an answer, I'm still digging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideas:

100km later? It is probably a good idea to dismantle the brakes, clean, and re-lube. But that is unlikely to be your issue given the symptoms.

Check the WBHAs. Raise the front end partially, grab the tire and check for vertical movement. There should be minimal play.

WBHA = wheel bearing hub assembly

Have the lower control arms, and tie rod ends been replaced? Sway bar bushings are probably due for replacement too.
WBHA's are both new. There is no play. Tie rod ends are also good - 1 is new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts