Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen this article? article
The author makes a compeling argument that "A tall, narrow tire is superior for all off-highway surface conditions...". Looks like the 255/85 guys are onto something!

Rob

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That is why the narrow tire guys bought them. I think it started after someone read that article and actually went to a Bill Burke training session.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
^^^ Correct.

There's still differing opinions on the subject but wider tires (high flotation) do have their merits.

·
on line
187 Posts
The Argument: A tall, narrow tire is a better choice for all off-highway surface conditions with the exception of soft sand, snow and soft mud that's depth exceeds 110% of the vehicles minimum ground clearance. Here is the explanation.

he even says this........
this article is very specific as to when a narrower tire would be best.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
No single tire is the absolute best for all conditions. I personally prefer the taller narrower tire (255s) from past experiences in my jeep

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Question to those with the 255/85 tires.....When you guys go off roading do you air down?

I am getting tires this month and it has come to this:

BFG AT
265/75/r16 for $750

BFG MT
255/85/r16 for $745
265/75/r16 for $810

ProComp AT
265/75/r16 for $665

ProComp MT
265/75/r16 for $730

These are with California state tax btw.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I just read the article. It's really interesting and helpful. Note that high flotation tires are the numeric sizes (33x12.5) not the LTs (285 75 16).

The 285 75 16, many of our tires, is an LT, not a high flotation, and is still within his recomended sizes for trucks that have a GVW of over 5 thousand lbs. (certainly my X does when it's weighed down with all my gear, recovery, camping, etc.) and which are used often on soft surfaces, also true for me in So. Cal. 285s are about 11.4" wide, nothing crazy. They do not have the flex/surface patch of high flotation tires.

In a sense, in the offroad world, and by this article's definition, 285 75 16s are still tall skinnys for some of us. They are within the realm of optimum by his standards.

But after reading the article, I do have a much better sense of why people are going for the 255s.

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For you 255/85 guys...does that size tire fit in our spare compartment?

I'm still up in the air as far as which tire size I'll go with. I've gotta git rid of these rugged trails first. I almost had a buyer from craigslist, but he backed out.

Rob

·
on line
807 Posts
I love my 255/85s. Like others have said, a narrow tire is not better in ALL conditions, but in many. For me, I never wheel in sand, and although I like mud, I know I should avoid it, therefore the narrow tire works well for me. Where I am in PA is mainly rocky, so the added contact pressure is nice.

I have a frontier, not an X, but if the X stores the spare under the rear cargo area (the equivalent to under the bed in the fronty) then, Yes, a 255/85R16 will fit.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Someone asked if us 255 guys air down.

I air down when it makes sense, like through deep sand, large rocks, positively deep mud, etc... But I have done just fine in deep, soft sand in 4wd without airing down.

Also, the 255 will fit in the spare tire position better than a 285. It's still a 33" tire, just more narrow.

Just an FYI for people new to tire sizes, when we say "255" or "285" we're using that as an abbreviation. In reality, "255" means nothing without the following numbers.

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
syndicate said:
...Also, the 255 will fit in the spare tire position better than a 285. It's still a 33" tire, just more narrow....
Thanks syndicate!

The reason I asked is because the 255/85's (MT) are listed as having a 33.3" diameter and the 285/75's (AT) have a 32.8" diameter. I've heard that the 285/75's will fit in the spare "hole", I just didn't know how tight of a fit they are.

Rob

·
on line
1,792 Posts
For the record: "285" or "255" are millimeters. Alone, they do designate tread width. 285 mm is approximately 11.4", whatever the following numbers. To calculate diameter, the following numbers are essential.

·
on line
358 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts