Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: I switched the title to something that may be helpful for others now that I got them done.

Hey everyone, been calling around to get my bearings/sleeves (m226) pressed on my rear axles and shops want want to charge like $50-$75 per axle... Well for that I'll go buy a 12-ton press from harbor freight for $100 and do it myself as I all ready have the old bearings/sleeves cut off!!! Then I got to thinking that someone may have all ready done this... So anyone have a press like this:

Video of How To (3:08): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYf4bgG6Xo

·
Registered
32 Posts
I debated the same thing when I had to do the ones on the Frontier this year. I ended up using the Napa in Erie and they only charge me $20 total to press the new bearings on both shafts.
Check with some of the larger Napas around your area if you haven't already and see if they have a press.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I debated the same thing when I had to do the ones on the Frontier this year. I ended up using the Napa in Erie and they only charge me $20 total to press the new bearings on both shafts.
Check with some of the larger Napas around your area if you haven't already and see if they have a press.
Hahaha I almost text you as I figured you would have one in your immaculate garage!! I spoke to Creek at the evergreen one and he said $40 a piece... The NAPA in Aurora wanted $77 a piece!!!! Ughhhh some mechanics are scumbags!!!

·
on line
10,133 Posts
my ears were ringing...

it'd have been $40 each if we needed to pull of the old bearings and such - if it was the c200 style axle where you need to pull the tone ring to do it. For the m226 style where the tone ring doesn't need to be pulled, it woulda been somewhere in the 15-20 per axle if we needed to pull the old bearings off. To just press on new bearings, we woulda done $20, but you'd have spent that in fuel driving up the hill. Or, a 30 pk of pibbers to use the press in my garage. But, this place still sucks and i'm going back into hiding...;)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You can also use a pipe and slam the whole thing down onto solid ground. I've seen it done this way, but never tried it myself.

I used an induction bearing heater to slide the bearing on like butter, but even after heating the retaining ring, it still took like 10,000 psi to press it on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts