Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
6,543 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Would siping be a horrible idea on such a nice M/T tire? I mean the deep siping in the duratrac is why I like them for the rockies and wondered about siping a M/T.
The problem with siped tires is that they tend to chunk easier since they're more compliant.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
MTR FTMFW! That's what I'm running right now. Sticky as hell out in Moab, but from what I hear they suck in the snow and ice.
I have them too and just coming from AK I can confirm they suck on ICE. In deep snow they claw through it like crazy. Just like they do in mud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i drive on a set of 285s on my 4runner...they do fine on the snowy roads. Drive like a dumbass and there isn't a set of tires out there that will save you.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
i drive on a set of 285s on my 4runner...they do fine on the snowy roads. Drive like a dumbass and there isn't a set of tires out there that will save you.
They may do fine on snowy roads but on a foot of packed ice at 40 below they suck.

My daily drive to work in Alaska was completely on a military base with a lot of military police presence.

I was not afforded the opportunity to drive like a dumbass but the traction control on the X was constantly engaging. They are not made for ICE.

Once I got off the ice and into the powder they did great. I would recommend them to almost anyone. I love mine.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I've only had one experience with M/Ts on winter roads. That was the new OEM BFG M/Ts on my Rubicon. They were downright dangerous on anything but deep snow. I was about ready to get a cheap set of take offs (off of a non rubicon with all seasons) for it to run in the winter but someone paid me way more than the jeep was worth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sorry...i wasn't directing my comment at anyone. Solid ice is always a different story, and for any sort of performance, you'd need nothing short of studs. I've driven on tons of tires on every drive of vehicle; rwd, fwd, awd, and 4x4. These are my cars, not just a one time jaunt to the corner store. I just see so many internet post where people claim that because it's a mud tire, it's going to be dangerous. When i'm driving on a snow packed road, i'm not pushing the vehicle to the ragged edge of a tires capability. These tires are plenty capable on a snow packed surface, given that the driver uses common sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts