Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, (2006 4x4 S) this slow oil drip has started showing up on my friends' driveways and in other random spots. Never was an issue before, but the engine now has 265,000 miles and it seems like its age is showing a bit (even though this engine has been known to reach even higher mileage than this when maintained properly).

Check out the pics, what are your thoughts to where this could be originating from? Thanks for the input and advice!
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
As mentioned, clean it off well with engine degreaser then try to verify where its coming from for sure. If its coming from the top you should be able to tell.

What is the fix for that? Pull valve cover and new gasket?
How involved a job is it to do?
Right hand side is a little more involved, but not that hard. You want to replace the whole valve cover because the spark plug seals can't be replaced on their own. Rye the car guy has a pretty good video - just search youtube for rye the car guy valve cover

·
Registered
694 Posts
Are we ruling out the oil cooler O-ring? The first photo suggests it is not the oil cooler. Thought I would ask anyways.

Reactions: Leather Bound

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are we ruling out the oil cooler O-ring? The first photo suggests it is not the oil cooler. Though I would ask anyways.
That might very well be the culprit. Seems like oil is collecting around that cross member, but wasn't noticing it up higher.

Thanks so much for that tip!

·
on line
2,450 Posts
2nd picture is the oil pressure sending unit. I've had various vehicles leak there either through the threads (bad thread sealing) and the sensor itself fail and leak through the guts of the sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts