Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
on line
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is how my Xterra looked 2 months ago at 12,400miles:

And here is how it looks now at 286miles:

Oh, and here is my story. The last weekend of September I was 4 wheeling with a friend and the stupid airbags went off. It is the side curtain airbags that have the “rollover� protection. I wasn’t sideways or at all close to rolling over. I was on just after a rough section and it was pretty much just a dirt road (double track). I think what happened was when my tire came off this medium sized rock (the road had a couple degrees of cant) and the Xterra shook from side to side. I think the speed of it going from side to side was the perfect frequency and it amplified the ball to hit the sensor and that made the airbag sensors think I was rolling over… when I wasn’t even close to that happening. The airbag sensors for roll over are pretty much a ball bearing in a curved track that is filled with a heavy liquid and has sensors at a certain point to signify angle of rollover, which I believe is 45*. I was only going about 15mph. It completely blew my mind. I heard this loud bang and thought some tree fell onto my car or something. I was leaning in to the center of the vehicle and when I looked over my shoulder to see what happened there is an airbag in my face. JR, my friend, was behind me in his Xterra and thought someone was shooting off a shotgun.

It took Nissan 6 weeks, yes 6 weeks, to just DECIDE to fix them under warranty. Well they finally did, but they told me that the airbags functioned the way they were supposed to and it was my driving that made them go off. If they were there they would not have said that, but they only had computer data to see what happened. They told me they couldn’t disconnect them and they weren’t going to give me a different vehicle. They told me that they were fixing my airbags on my vehicle out of good will. My car had 12,400miles on it and no sign of rough driving. I lost a lot of sleep and had many nightmares about them going off again, etc dreaming about going 4wheeling. One of the main reasons I got the Xterra was to be able to go 4wheeling. The week before the airbags went off I order swaybar QR mounts, but I didn’t want to install them in anticipation of the airbags going off again and giving Nissan an excuse to not fix the car. I also wanted to do a suspension lift, which again makes me nervous for the likelihood of the airbags going off again. Long story short… I traded my 06 in for an 06 that doesn’t have those stupid airbags.

I got an amazing deal on the new black 06 and only took a small hit on switch of the vehicles, $4,500, but I got a new 2006 w/o those stupid airbags. I had 13,350 on my Granite Xterra and I got all the same features except the airbags and sadly I didn’t get the rocksford fosgate stereo… But after listening to the radio for the last week I don’t see much difference between the RF and the base stereo in sound quality. I’ll write up a little thing about the differences I notice between them in a different thread. Charcoal interior, manual, Off-Road and no “rollover� airbags were my “must haves�, and I was willing to get a couple colors. Granite was my 1st choice, but there wasn’t a single one in the nation… but there was a black one locally w/o the RF stereo and so I went with that… I really like the black (my 2nd choice in color). It is very hot and now I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I’m pretty excited about the black and really excited that I can now modify my Xterra and not have to worry about stupid airbags going off when they are not supposed to. I super happy that I got rid of my X with the airbags and now I can just move on and not have to worry about what I do with my Xterra and what type of 4wheeling I do with it.

My biggest piece of advice to anyone buying a new Xterra, if you plan on going 4wheeling with it, don’t get the “rollover� side curtain airbags. If you have them already and you go 4wheeling, I hope you’re lucky and they don’t go off on you too.

Do I have the most mods for the least amount of miles?
Shrockworks Sliders
OEM Sunglass holder/light
Swaybar QR links
BFGs 285/75-16 tires (10ply)

- I’ve also done deletion of mudflaps, tint, clearbra (headlights, front and door handle areas), the bike racks and bug deflector (which you can’t see on a clean black X).

300miles and I have drilled 2 holes into my Xterra, enlarged 4 holes (swaybar QRs) and cut into my headliner! I’m sick and probably need to get help.

Here are some pictures of the inside of my Xterra:

In my underfloor cubby, I keep a Colman air-mattress (double), tow rope, the Nissan “Emergancy Kit� (which I’ve added to and improved), a sheet to fit over my seat incase I get dirty, and for changing flats, etc gloves and a 6’x8’ tarp

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Wow that sucks, but at least you got another X. Hopefully this doesn't happen to too many more people.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Man o man. I was waiting for this story to surface! Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Well makes me happy i didnt get airbags.
me too

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I am glad you are back with us after that nightmare! Whooo! I am glad now I don't have side airbags! Sometimes too many tricks is not good. Check out the stereo upgrades, And you can do my "Air up anytime Mod!" Keep going! It's fun watching what people come up with!
I think you did the right thing getting a new X.
MC

·
on line
641 Posts
Re: My Xterra... Rollover Airbags suck if you want to go 4x4

Spicoli said:
My biggest piece of advice to anyone buying a new Xterra, if you plan on going 4wheeling with it, don’t get the “rollover� side curtain airbags.
Here in Canada they only sell three models of the Xterra: S, OR, SE.

For 2006, the "Roof-mounted curtain supplemental side-impact airbags for outboard occupants side-impact protection with rollover sensor" were standard for the SE, available as an option for the S, but not available for the OR.

For 2007, they are standard for both the OR and SE, and optional for the S.

I have a 2006 OR, and as they weren't an option, I don't have them. When I saw that they were standard with the 2007 OR, I wondered if it might affect the resale value of my 2006, but that was my only thought about not having them. When I bought my X, I just figured that they didn't put them in the OR model because they weren't appropriate equipment for an off-road truck. I guess maybe I was right!

·
on line
551 Posts
Glad I won the arguement when we bought ours. Wife wanted them, but I didn't want to spend the extra $700 for it. I do have them in the Suburban but that was bought used, so no choice, but will keep that in mind when modding the Burb for off road

·
on line
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted them when I originally got my Xterra thinking it was a good idea, just incase I did roll it. It just brings me back to what I have always wanted from my car mod'ing days... simple and little technology is better.

Plus I really like the black.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have trouble shucking out money for disaster preparedness. If I roll, I guess it was meant to be. Came close 2 times so far. But I see a lot of rollovers and today's SUV's hold up pretty well. Long as you have a seat belt on, I think your chances are good. MC

·
on line
807 Posts
can the airbag fuse simply be pulled to prevent this from happening?

·
on line
232 Posts
stevet47 said:
can the airbag fuse simply be pulled to prevent this from happening?
I believe so... thus we changed our order back to one with the side airbags and we will just pull the fuse when wheeling. Our Infiniti has the side airbags and only has one airbag fuse so the sides and front must be interlaced.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
usmc xterra said:
I have trouble shucking out money for disaster preparedness. If I roll, I guess it was meant to be. Came close 2 times so far. But I see a lot of rollovers and today's SUV's hold up pretty well. Long as you have a seat belt on, I think your chances are good. MC
You're right. My '02 held up just fine during my rollover, and I had my seatbelt on. I walked away from that accident without a scratch on me.

I like the new truck, and I'm glad you have the BFG AT's without the OWL; I was wondering what it would look like when I get those tires. Now that I've seen it, I like them with the black sidewalls!

·
on line
132 Posts
Man, I felt bad when I couldn't get the OR because of limited availability and price range. But now that I hear more and more stories I think I made the right choice. I still wish I could have OR, but I think most of us here have the S model and just mod the hell out of it.

·
on line
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MidnightX said:
Man, I felt bad when I couldn't get the OR because of limited availability and price range. But now that I hear more and more stories I think I made the right choice. I still wish I could have OR, but I think most of us here have the S model and just mod the hell out of it.
There wasn't a problem with the offroad... it was the supplemental rollover airbags that were the problem.

·
on line
114 Posts
pull fuse to disable airbags?

Can anyone confirm that this is possible? If so, where would one find this fuse?

Unfortunately, I've got the mentioned airbags but I really don't want them going off just because I'm navigating an off-camber trail.

Thanks in advance...

·
on line
135 Posts
My dealer gave me the heads up on the airbags when I was ordering my OR from the factory. He said there were some "sales guidance" on ordering airbags for those customers who intended on off roading. Their internal rule is to just not order the airbags on ORs they purchase.

·
on line
358 Posts
So has anyone found a mod (switch inline or pulling the fuse) to alow offroading without the ABs going off? I will be buying an Xterra in a month or so and don't know if I should buy the AB pkg. I want it for on road but don't like the idea of them going off offroad.

·
on line
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IF you're going to get one, I would advise not getting them. In the snow we had a few weeks ago I was playing around and hit a gigantic sheet of black ice in the REI parking lot. Slid into the curb, got up on 2 wheels and came back down. No damage, nothing big... but if I had my old Xterra I bet the airbags would have gone off and it wouldn't have been a situation where I would have pulled the fuse like going 4x4ing where you aticipate getting sideways.

·
on line
853 Posts
OperatorX said:
My dealer gave me the heads up on the airbags when I was ordering my OR from the factory. He said there were some "sales guidance" on ordering airbags for those customers who intended on off roading. Their internal rule is to just not order the airbags on ORs they purchase.
That apparently never occured to the dealer I bought mine from (granted it's not an OR model but maybe they should have said something).

I do have to say, though, that I have slammed my truck fairly hard several times now, and had it fairly off camber a couple of times, sometimes at the same time as the hard slams, and not had a problem with the side airbags going off. I insisted on side airbags when I bought the truck, now I am wondering if I should figure out a fuse or bypass mod. I did not get the side airbags for roll over but for side impact. At least in So Cal folks get t-boned often by idiots running red lights. Seems real common around here.

·
on line
358 Posts
So is anyone removing the fuse on their Xterra airbags when they offroad?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts