Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now I've found bright green spots in the snow. First time was New Year's Eve after an hour drive home through about 12" of snow (4x4 all the way). It was a small drip - maybe 1/2 a cup total right under the passenger side rear door. Second time (yesterday) I just noticed a 8" diameter green puddle under the driver's side door.

Checked this morning and the antifreeze tank is just above the MIN mark cold. I never paid attention to it before, so I don't know where it was previously.

As far as I can see, the only thing in the vehicle that is neon green is antifreeze. But it should only be going from the radiator, through the engine, and back. How in the heck would it get all the way back by the rear doors?

Any known leaky antifreeze issues with these vehicles?

·
on line
1,340 Posts
You need to check the coolant level in the radiator. Have you under the car?

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mcm4090 said:
You need to check the coolant level in the radiator. Have you under the car?
The antifreeze in the radiator is right at the top like it should be.

Have I what under the car? I did get under there and look around, but its about 50 degrees here today which means everything is melting and the whole under side is wet and dripping everywhere. I took a white rag and wiped down a bunch of spots and didn't find any green.

Other information - 2005, 55K miles, no service has ever been done to the cooling system.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Knaffie, it's supposed to be YELLOW SNOW--

--Cause and effect !

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Do you have skid plates installed?

Sometimes fluid will collect and then travel down underbody components to another location prior to falling to the ground.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
Lonesome Crow said:
you haven't had any cooling system work done in 55k miles.
Coolant isn't scheduled to be replaced until 60K miles. It is filled at the factory with a "long-life" coolant.
I agree that the manual says that I'm just recommending that it be done because he is @ 55k already and having issues with peeing green. This would be an easy way to determine if there is a problem. I'm still in the habit of getting my winterize done every year on both of our cars, it just makes me feel better when my wife has to drive in the snow and ice.

·
on line
80 Posts
Mine is occasionally doing the same, and then I noticed it under my other car - Mazda 3. Only notice it after a snow. I was maybe thinking its that new liquid salt solution they are using on the roads instead of rock salt.. both vehicles show coolant at the max level still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts