Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from the beach this past Saturday and I noticed my tachometer started going crazy. It was jumping from 2K to 4K for no reason when I was applying consistent pressure to the gas. And, the serious problem started.

I had a idea that this problem was something odd and possibly bad, so I was attempting to get home as soon as possible. Suddenly, I was barely able to get any traction or gear contact in 1st or 2nd. I was revving the engine up to 5 and 6K and receiving no response and no forward momentum. As I headed up a hill only 2 minutes from my house the clutch 100% gave up and I couldn't go any further. I was barely able to get in some random, old woman's driveway to call a tow truck to come take my X away. I did also, have to wait 2 hours for that tow truck.

Just to back my own butt up. I have been driving manual transmissions since I was 16. My X is my 4th manual car/truck and I know what a bad clutch is. To have a clutch go bad in 1 day is crazy and I can't wait to hear what the mechanics find.

It was sad to see my poor X up on the wrecker truck and towed out of my site. Parts have been ordered and I might get it back by Thursday...

Boo.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
From readin other posts, I can tell you what they are going to say.

"Clutch is a wear item and it's not covered under warranty."

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already talked to my service tech and said everything will be covered under my warranty. I only have 38K on my truck. A clutch should not wear out that soon. Something else must be causing this problem.

·
on line
366 Posts
Are you sure you're not doing burn outs? lol. :D

That does sound kinda odd that it failed so soon.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
SeXterraPA said:
I already talked to my service tech and said everything will be covered under my warranty. I only have 38K on my truck. A clutch should not wear out that soon. Something else must be causing this problem.
Wow you are lucky, there have been people with A LOT less miles (I think one was at like 8-10K) who was told it wouldn't be covered.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did purchase the extended warranty that has more coverage than the factory warranty. So, perhaps the coverage on that plan is able to take care of a clutch or fly wheel?

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem started and was ended all within less than 2 hours. I didn't have a chance to stop because I was too far away from home/dealership. I didn't want to have to pay to get the truck towed over 20 miles because that gets expensive.

·
on line
87 Posts
Lucky; I had ~28k miles on mine when the clutch died for no reason and they wouldn't cover it. I have only had one automatic car out of the 5 I've owned, so I know it wasn't anything I did. My last car, a 2000 Maxima, had 85000 miles on it when I traded it in and I never changed the clutch. I've read, mostly on this forum, that these clutches are way weak.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My retort was, "Oh, that's my clutch, I've been cooking it all day. It should be ready for dinner!"

I retain that no previous wheeling had any effect on this recent tragedy.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I personally think the X is not geared low enough for a manual to handle the type of wheeling we do in PA. Hell, I am getting 5.13's for my Rubi becuase it's not low enough.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have cooked potato's on the exhaust manifold before. Works well.

There is an entire book on cooking food on your engine.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok....

So, I got a call from the dealership today and I was hoping it was to tell me that my truck was done and I could pick it up.

It was not. He asked to come in and look at what had happened to my to the clutch and transmission. Well, a lot had happened when I went and looked. The service manager initially thought the pressure plate had broken which would cause the clutch to wear out ahead of schedule. It had not.

What actually happened was the clutch extremely overheated and fused to the fly wheel which caused it to vibrate loose and break the bolts inside and thus explode the material that holds the fly wheel to another piece at the front of the transmission. Excuse my explanation, because I don't know what everything is actually called.

Anywho, things were all ****** up! My truck is in pieces and my tranny is collecting dust on the service floor.

He also had fun pointing out where I had dented the crap out of my frame and subframe and the nice dent in my oil pan(which I am replacing too). They had to use a blow torch to get a piece of the subframe off!

So, my warranty will not cover everything due to the nature of the damage. He can't send in the damage under warranty to Nissan, because neither he nor I can prove I didn't cause it But, he is only going to charge me for parts and not labor, which should save me almost $2,000.

Long story short, apparently I am an idiot and now I am going to be out almost $800!

Boo.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
If they fix it maybe you can float gears when changing. I do it all of the time in my big truck.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Kind of what I expected, but good thing they are covering at least some of it. It almost sounds like the dealer is going to be eating some of that cost, as if Nissan is not warrantying the work, then they are not going to pay the dealer.

How did you dent the frame? I have hit my skid plates and sliders pretty good, but can't say my frame has any dents in it.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't actually dent the frame, but the mechanic was being over dramatic when showing me the undercarriage. Their were some sweet dents to the sub-body though... made me proud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts