Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am an X noob so bear with me. I am finding my new X hits pretty hard and pretty easily in the rear when i have a load in the rear. I understand it will do this once there is extra weight in the back but to me this happens too easily. I only have the S model and not the OR package with the better shocks.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am coming from a Land Rover so i am used to a something more solid underneath me. Can i do something easy with the Leaf Springs or maybe the OR shocks to keep this from happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers....

Shane
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
Do a quick search.

This has been a problem since the first 2nd Gen X's rolled out of the factory. There has been two solutions to the problem. New bump stops or Add-A-Leaf in the rear. Problem with the AAL is that it lifts the vehicle.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Muzikman said:
Problem with the AAL is that it lifts the vehicle.
A lift is a problem? I thought it was mandatory in order to post here on the new (lifted) X :geek:
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,272 Posts
RogueClimber said:
Muzikman said:
Problem with the AAL is that it lifts the vehicle.
A lift is a problem? I thought it was mandatory in order to post here on the new (lifted) X :geek:

Don't forget that AAL's require shims and apparently some people vary in opinion as to what works better, a 2 or 3 degree.

Edit: Although I believe the shim problem is only depending on certain vendors. I may be mistaken though.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
564 Posts
There's a third solution...unbolt the two bolts holding each bumpstop on, stick them in a vice and hack about an inch off of the stop. Voila, less bottoming out and more rear suspension travel.


Rob
 

·
on line
Joined
·
238 Posts
Ah, don't forget one more solution that I haven't seen anybody here with yet. An air bag load support. Greg at PRG is them with great success and will sell you the same setup. They are not listed on his web page, but he can set a set up for you.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
RogueClimber said:
Muzikman said:
Problem with the AAL is that it lifts the vehicle.
A lift is a problem? I thought it was mandatory in order to post here on the new (lifted) X :geek:

Don't forget that AAL's require shims and apparently some people vary in opinion as to what works better, a 2 or 3 degree.

Edit: Although I believe the shim problem is only depending on certain vendors. I may be mistaken though.
I am using 4 degree shims for my custom AALs. They gave me 2" lift in the rear. I used an angle finder to determine what degree shims I would need to line the pinion and drive shaft up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
With 2-2.5" of lift MOST Xterra's should not need the shims. I have personally installed over 70 sets of these and of those NONE have had any vibration issues. My own X has about 3" of rear lift and over 30k miles and not one vibration. Of all the spring packs we have sold (over 300), only 2 people have had issues with vibration, and shims took care of the issue. We stock shims now and if they are needed we will offer them at our cost to that person. AAL should not change the pinion angle and shackles will change the angle similar to adding shims.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
greg, I hear you and this is what I have been told since the first lifts came out for the new X's. But I'll tell you, 2.5" of AAL lift causes vibration, at least in the 05 OR model. I had the problem, I tried correcting it with a set of shackles, but it wasn't enough. I ended up scraping the AAL kit and buying a different multi leaf kit with shims and I have not had a problem since.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
Muzikman said:
greg, I hear you and this is what I have been told since the first lifts came out for the new X's. But I'll tell you, 2.5" of AAL lift causes vibration, at least in the 05 OR model. I had the problem, I tried correcting it with a set of shackles, but it wasn't enough. I ended up scraping the AAL kit and buying a different multi leaf kit with shims and I have not had a problem since.
we have the exact same year and model as you. Here are the pics (never mind the experimental air bag assist). And it gets driven everyday with no vibration. as i posted, the Xterras that get vibration are exception not the norm.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
Timbren's are different as they only help prevent hard bottoming, they also reduce wheel travel. Since we take a pretty heavy trailer out camping, i needed a bit more load carrying while towing/traveling, but i still needed full articulation for the trail. I had the parts laying around and built this set-up that uncouples from the frame at full droop, turns out that it rattled and drove me nuts. So i permanently mounted the upper bracket on the frame and the bags are fine with the extra travel. I typically have 2-5 lbs in the bags and I can't feel them except on really hard hits (kinda like the timbren's) but i can air them up (only to about 30-40 psi) when i have to tow stuff. I belive ride-rite makes a kit for the xterras. Should be around $200.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
The shocks on my X are the new Radflo replacments, and they are really nice. They are $375/pr shipped. Here are some pics of an X I did today. I took some pics to show that you do NOT need longer rear brake lines with the proper (and longer) rear shock. This X is running a 1" longer Bilstein and our Deaver/PRG 2-leaf pack. notice that the ABS sensor wires are what really needs to be longer, but they are still fine. The pics are shown at full droop. and even at full articulation, the brake lines cannot be stretched any longer becasue they are "between" the shocks. And this X has no vibration without shims.


 

·
on line
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Maybe you can answer the pm here?


"I love the deavers i got from you guys. But those coil overs and uca's are just too expensive in my opinion. You ever going to sell them as a package deal? Maybe have a sale or group buy discount?

If so, then id be more likely to do it."


???????????????/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
The new Bilsten titan shocks, used with the offroad/nismo coil retainer, may be just the ticket to better performance on budget. Im still working on getting all the parts together to test this combo out. As for the radflos in a group buy, the fact is that there is very, very little margin in these units already. I set the price as low as I could to make them available to as many people as I could. we also sell the TC arms so low that I get calls all the time from TC telling me to raise the price because other vendors are complaining. I will keep everyone posted as to what I find out with this new shock.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
The price on the Radflo's is so low I don't even know how you can afford to put food on the table Greg...
seriously, anyone looking for coilovers will quickly realize they're ridiculously affordable
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
The price on the Radflo's is so low I don't even know how you can afford to put food on the table Greg...
seriously, anyone looking for coilovers will quickly realize they're ridiculously affordable
Haha. I know they are spendy, but the margins are set as low as we can go. Since I never plan to sell these to other shops or to retailers, they are priced as"'manufacturer direct" or wholesale. These things are just expensive to build. I know Id sell a lot more if if COULD get the price down.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
137 Posts
I have a 2 inch shackle lift on the back with timbrens, no spacers, so the timbren is about 3 inches from the axel- the improvement in ride is incredible.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top