Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hated having ice & snow build up on my winch line through the opening on the SW bumper. Thought of a simple idea to prevent it happening again. Here's what you need:

1 piece of lexan 10" x 5"
2 bolts
4 washers
2 nuts

and voila...a see through cover ;)

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Even simpler, and more effective is to just stick a magnetic bumper sticker over it. You can put it upside down so its black and blends in, and more importantly it prevents UV damage to synthetic line. Plus it's way easier to put on and take off when you need to get in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even simpler, and more effective is to just stick a magnetic bumper sticker over it. You can put it upside down so its black and blends in, and more importantly it prevents UV damage to synthetic line. Plus it's way easier to put on and take off when you need to get in there.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did consider that, but couldn't find a magnetic sheet thick enough work on short notice so I went with 6mm lexan (~ 1/4"). It does flex enough so I can bend the edge to get to the bolts underneath to remove it if I need to.

That being said, I'll look online for a thicker magnetic material as I agree that it is a better option... I'd still use bolts to hold it into place as far too often I'm using the scraper to remove ice from the bumper.

·
on line
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lexan absorbs about 70% of UV light on its own :) Just paint it black.
Painting it would defeat the purpose of ensuring the line is winding properly on the drum and I knew about the UV protection and that's why I used it...maybe I'll use window tint ;)

I saw some hear-say on just platidipping the thing after you use it... but I have no idea if it would potentially hurt the synthetic line over time.
Any coating on the line is not going to prevent snow & ice from forming. I'm covering the opening to prevent that.

We had 20mm of sleet/freezing rain here last week and my line was a solid brick of ice as a result; It would not have made a difference with synth or steel. 2 days ago I had to use the weight of the vehicle on a decline and the power out on the winch to break the build up free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts