Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished up a rear cargo drawer system for my Xterra. Lots of great inspiration from so many awesome builds on this site and Expedition Portal. But, the main area I drew inspiration was from: https://theadventureindex.com/shop/

Here's the basics on my setup:
-- 1/2" birch
-- Cut the bottom of each drawer so I could still access the underneath rear cargo tray by folding the back seats forward
-- 400 lb full extension drawer slides
-- 333 lb D-rings bolted with 5/16" pronged tee-nuts and bolts on the top (so I can still strap things down, when needed)
-- Side "wings" are removable, so I can use the space under them, too
-- 12" interior hieght
-- Driver-side drawer is 2-feet deep
-- Passenger-side drawer has a "drawer within a drawer" and a spring loaded prep table. There's room under the prep table to store silverware, spices, spatula, tongs, etc. (or anything else that's no taller than 4")

Pictures...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeezz louise son, you got skills! You could probably make a few bucks selling those if you had the desire too.....NICE job!
Thanks for the nice words...appreciated! I'm pleased with how it turned out, I was a little concerned with being able to get the templates just right for the "side wings." But, I first measured and drew it out on cardboard, then made the adjustments needed and used the cardboard template for the plywood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those asking about weight...

I didn't weight it and with my OME AAL and upgraded suspension I didn't really care too much. If I had to guess, I'd say it's somewhere in the 40 - 50 lbs range. The 1/2" birch is a very lightweight wood and cutting the holes out of the bottom eliminated some weight, too (while still maintaining the structural integrity). If someone wanted to make it even lighter, they could cut some wood away from the side panels, too. The carpet and D-rings are essentially nothing. The heaviest items in the entire construction are the drawer slides...they seemed to weigh as much as the outer shell.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Well done!
Interestingly, I finished my cargo drawer this weekend, sort of! Still some details left like the lift-up prep table and organizer dividers. Here is the link to the thread onboard-water-tank

I left the sides open from both front and rear, because loaded up for the camping, there is always something on the top panels. So, it will be hard to access them. In addition, this way I can push long items like camping chairs and roof top tent annex in there. Top panels are hinged to the drawer and can be opened up if nothing sits on them. To prevent rattling noise, they are secured by the thumb-screw to the L-brackets holding them.
I made the drawer section a single piece, one big top and bottom plate, and one middle wall.

How do you secure the whole drawer system? I used L-shape custom made brackets to mount it to the T-rails in the cargo floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
GPD605X
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing