Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock height 'S' with the Sylvania silverstar headlight bulbs installed on my X. What i cant stand is when im driving with my low beams on and people flash me with their highs like im driving with highs on. The best part is when i flash them back with my highs and i kno that they fell stupid. does anyone have this same issue? I kno that they are adjusted correctly. It seems to me that its always the lowered rice burners that do the flashing. People need to stop looking into oncoming vehicles headlights and just focus on the road!!!!! And i think that my headlight are high. lol i had to lead 2 Jeep Rubicons home on the PA turnpike and wow i had to move my mirrors cause their headlights were really bright. Sry all i just needed to vent.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Flash? Try these:

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed my silverstar ultras. Do yourself a favor and lower the lights a little.

My sister met me coming the other way in her subaru and said that it almost blinded her. The lights are damn bright for a small car. After lowering them, it helped a lot with the oncoming traffic, and didn't really hinder visibility that much

·
on line
139 Posts
I have a theory on this:

I think that the average driver is less skilled / educated now than even a decade ago. As a result, you get people who don't consider the fact that as you come over a hill or even hit a bump, your headlights will shine like brights when they are at the right angle. Combine this with more people driving than ever and you get lots of flashes.

I'm bone stock with no adjustments to my lights and people still flash me.

D-Rock

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My experience leads me to a different conclusion: the X, even bone stock with lights adjusted properly, is damn bright. My friend and I experimented with our Xs and we both agree that they confuse and genuinely annoy some other drivers. The tech at my dealer says they get many complaints.

My usual response is to quickly flash the high beams. "Punishing" and temporarily blinding the other driver, who may have genuinely made an understandable mistake, seems overly aggressive and dangerous IMO.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
XVTer said:
I had the same problem when I installed my silverstar ultras. Do yourself a favor and lower the lights a little.

My sister met me coming the other way in her subaru and said that it almost blinded her. The lights are damn bright for a small car. After lowering them, it helped a lot with the oncoming traffic, and didn't really hinder visibility that much
Same here. I had my roommate's car for a day. As he drove up in my car to exchange cars, I was completely blinded. Also add to the fact that I have an HID kit in there which has a tendency to spread a little more than halogens. I immediately lowered them when I got home.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my '02. People always flashing their brights at me. I had the lights adjusted and it never happened again.

Now I get a new X and the flashing has started again. I'm just gunna have them tweaked down a little.

·
on line
527 Posts
I actually think its fun pulling up behind people at intersections with my headlights pointed right in their rear view mirror. I know im a dik but who cares. People flash their light at me all the time and i just show them my real bright lights.

·
on line
473 Posts
Every time someone flashes me I quickly think there must be a cop ahead and they are warning me...but really there just a dick

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a theory on this:

I think that the average driver is less skilled / educated now than even a decade ago. As a result, you get people who don't consider the fact that as you come over a hill or even hit a bump, your headlights will shine like brights when they are at the right angle. Combine this with more people driving than ever and you get lots of flashes.
i completely agree with this statement. I know that i could be considered a hypocrite but honestly i think that people just need to stop and think for a split second. like i said it mainly the rice burners that have the huge fart can exhausts and such. im pretty sure that (MOSTLY) there are kids driving these cars and they have not had a lot of time behind the wheel. i know that even though im only 20 years old, i am young in terms of driving experience and skills. i do know that headlights even if aimed correctly can still blind people given the correct conditions.

·
on line
254 Posts
I was starting to think it was just the fog lights but my wife coming the other way couple of nights ago said it is blinding even without them. Stock suspension and lights, 07 OR with factory fog lights.

Aren’t exactly a lot of rice burners or low riders around me either.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've put 50K on my X in just over two years. I've been lifted and stock, had the lights adjusted, tweaked it myself, got somewhat better results after aiming them down as far as possible. My friend got his X at the same time, same story.

We both get flashed all the time, by all sorts of vehicles, whose drivers clearly, sincerely think our high beams are on. ALL SORTS OF VEHICLES. I bet hundreds of Xterra drivers have the same experience, especially if they drive lonely country roads with big straightaways, as I do in CA, NV, AZ, and my frequent trips to Baja. It's a PITA, but I don't see how blaming the other drivers solves the problem.

One more thing: Professional drivers, driving semis, are some of my frequent flashers in the desert. Obviously these guys are just trying to drive. It's not my fault, and it's not their fault.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i understand what u mean it just seems to me around my area its the lowered tuner cars that do a majority of the flashing to me. im not saying that others dont its just the majority are the rice burner types. sry to offend.

·
on line
245 Posts
I agree with you xterraguy... when i'm on the freeway driving behind a little car like that, it's always the one's who think they are straight out of fast and the furious to change lanes, then pull up behind me and start going nuts on their lights. i guess they didnt realize that having a car which has a front and rear windshield height of most SUV headlights might get kind of annoying.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
cHurt said:
it's always the one's who think they are straight out of fast and the furious to change lanes, then pull up behind me and start going nuts on their lights. i guess they didnt realize that having a car which has a front and rear windshield height of most SUV headlights might get kind of annoying.
Of course there are some fools on the road. I agree. But to imply that people who buy small cars kind of get what they deserve is unfair. My GF has an Acura RSX, and we both had Integras for years. Great cars, and I never had a problem with lights. There's room on the road for all sorts of different vehicles, from a low-slung Jaguar E-type to semis.

None of this changes the fact that many X drivers get flashed a lot by many different types of vehicles. As I said before, our stock lights are bright, and they make some people think our high beams are on. I also drive a lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee with crystal clear lenses, great visibility, and I rarely get flashed. In my X, with lights a bit lower--I get flashed all the time. What do you guys think it is?

·
on line
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think it has to do with that fact that some vehicles lights (even if they have the same watt bulbs and are just as bright) have a built in grid work on the inside of the lens. I believe its called a diffuser lens. these lenses do just that. they diffuse the light passing through it so that the beam isnt focused in the same area. it kinda breaks up the light. therefore it seems less bright even though its exactly the same. Now on our X's we have a clear lens with a chrome like mirror working inside the lens. this clear lens allows the light to pass through it unobscured. there for the beam of light is some what focused. therefore appearing to the eye as being brighter. ive also noticed that my voltmeter or what ever that guage is, while the engine is running is above half way. this means that the alternator might be supplying a little more than usual amount of power to the headlights. i dont know that this is the real reason our lights are so bright, but i am speculating. like i have said before:i am not a mechanic, nor an engineer(yet). so take what i say here at that which it is. Speculation. ill post a picture of my guage while my x is running to show u what i mean.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts