Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

My "New" X and What to Do with It - Please guide Me through My Mod Dilemmas....

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  HawaiianXterra 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to all. I am new around here. Just acquired a 2005 X in great shape. Around 80k miles. Here's the beauty:

It already had almost new BFG KO2's 265/75R16 (32"), a DVD Bluetooth screen stereo, LED bar and a roof rack. Pretty cool! NOT the Pro4X unfortunately.

I bought the X as a dedicated adventure vehicle and to spend more quality time with my kids outdoors (less screen time). So I´m looking to turn it into a super capable Overlanding and Off Road machine in general. We are blessed to have many types of trail options around; Mountains, river side trails, desert (high speed), dunes and challenging rock crawling trails. So enough intro... This is the plan:

My first research into best suspension mods got me off course to the highly regarded Titan Swap. I am looking into the Nisstec TS kit and the PRG TS Budget kit (like the price better). First question: What are your opinions and reviews about the PRG TS kit?? It includes CV's meant to work with stock R180 front diff. This would be my first mod together with 285/75R16 (33") tire upgrade.

Because I don't have a rear diff lock, I would change my rear axle since is not a Pro4X, from a C200 (sticker says CA31) to an M226 with e-locker. This will also mean my gears would change from 3.13 to 3.36. So my front diff will need to match and this would be the perfect opportunity to go from the R180 to the Titan 3 rib M205 at 3.36. I will need to change my CV's to match the new M205 front diff. I would do this mods whenever I can get the rear axle and front diff. I assume it will not be easy to get them.

Then armor off course and a RTT. I plan on buying drawings and fabricate everything locally. Any good sources for drawings at a good price will be greatly appreciated. I plan on adding front winch bumper, rear tire bumper w/cable table, rock sliders, skid plates, molle panels and a RTT low profile roof rack.

This is my master plan. I will do it in phases since it's a lot of time and money to do it all at once. I would really appreciate your comments. Is my roadmap a good one? Am I missing something? Would you do things differently?

Any guidance and information that can spare me from rookie mistakes will go a long way. I hope my preliminary research also serves other new owners who are figuring out what path to follow on their mods to make the X a powerful off road machine.

Thank you for your attention and patience. Your young padawan,

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. If your Xterra has an Automatic transmission you need to replace the factory radiator immediately to avoid the dreaded SMOD. There are several options but koyo seems to be the best. I would do that ASAP and then perform normal maintenance before modding. They are pretty capable trucks as is, but with the mileage you have you should have many years to enjoy it as long as you get ahead on normal maintenance. Once you get up on maintenance the mods should begin.

#4 ·
Thank you for the fast and usefull welcome! Will look into the radiator replacement. Just learned what SMOD is on Google. Already did all general maintenance. First thing I did and found out about the pressure gauge flaw (mechanic oil pump).

#3 ·
The x is pretty darn capable stock with good tires. I think I'd get the rooftop tent and other camping gear first to get you out with the kids now.

Going straight to the Titan swap is definitely taking the buy once cry once mentality serious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: B@ATX
#5 · (Edited)
The x is pretty darn capable stock with good tires. I think I'd get the rooftop tent and other camping gear first to get you out with the kids now.

Going straight to the Titan swap is definitely taking the buy once cry once mentality serious.

I agree with you on getting the RTT first. On it. Already had some decent camping gear. My kids and I do go camping often. I have to bribe my wife though. Not an outdoors enthusiast...

Lol exactly, that's why I am doing all the research to make a plan and follow it through to buy once cry once, even if it takes me longer. Thank you for the advise,

#9 ·
I could see why that is confusing, but that "TRIM" does not correspond to the trim level in this context. I have no idea why.

Old Navy is right, you have an "S" trim per the model code TCKZLRN-EUA .

#11 ·
I could see why that is confusing, but that "TRIM" does not correspond to the trim level in this context. I have no idea why.

Old Navy is right, you have an "S" trim per the model code TCKZLRN-EUA .

That is very weird... Thank you!

#12 · (Edited)
Do you have a picture of the DVD Bluetooth screen? I'm assuming that is aftermarket, don't believe that wasn't 2005 either?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Definitely after market and post 2005. Don’t know the year cause the previous owner installed it. Here are the pics. Sorry for the bad pics, but I'm traveling and someone else helped me taking them.

#10 ·
How familiar are you with off-roading in general? It sounds like you are new-ish into that hobby, so I would advise against gung-ho Titan swap right out of the gate. Like @Mastermind46 said, the Xterra will do any forest road or "green" trail right out of the box with decent tires. Blues you can do with good skill. You only really need to upgrade if you wanna take risks or if you end up carrying more weight. I would spend a few trips with it and find ways to carefully test the limits of the vehicle. Then you can find where it falls short and decide to upgrade.

I had a buddy who was about to by a Ford Ranger and build the snot out of it for crawling come with me to a 4x4 park once. After that he said "nope" and bought an old Chevy long bed that he plans to keep completely stock lol.

#15 · (Edited)
That is a very good point @AlbatrossCafe. I have always enjoyed outdoors, camping, ATV's, cooking and offroading. I have never done any serious rock crawling. I recently discovered Overlanding and realized it's a mix of many things I already enjoy and do. I also like complexity, engaging in a project and following through until things happen. So I see the mods as a good project to work on too. Not only to achieve the mods but to enjoy the process as I enjoy the trail or the hike to get to a destination. I will probably not be doing serious rock crawling for the sake of it, but maybe I have to in order to reach a good campsite. Or maybe I do enjoy rock crawling after trying it. I like addrenaline rushes and problem solving. You might be right and maybe the Titan swap is over doing it, but I know I will enjoy the process and if the opportunity arises I'd be able to tackle challenging trails. I appreciate the wise "take it easy and try it first rookie".

#13 ·
Where to start.

So far I see an Xterra S 4x4
Interested in a Titan Swap
Add am M226 rear axle
Install an M205 front diff
Body Armor
Strengthen the roof to support the weight of an adult and children. (Possibly two adults) Did. Someone mention roof leaks are a pita?

If your looking for a serious offroad Xterra, I think your wasting time and cash trying to recreate a Pro4X.

If your wishing to improve your off road capability, add an air locker to your C200 rear differential. Install some body armor if there is a need, otherwise pick up some skids from a pro4x.

You can spend $10,000 over the cost of your vehicle and it wont be worth any more than a stock Xterra S and may only be marginally better offroad.

#16 ·
Lol @Just a Hunter. None of these is a good investment definitelty. I don't expect the value of the rig to ever match the money and time thrown in. It's definitely a hobby. And an expensive one.

Ok so you are saying I can just add a C200 air locker (not inexpensive) and then keep the R180 at 3.13? But what about the R180 weaknesses? I was planning on getting M226 & M205 from junkyards. Isn't that less expensive than a ARB C200 air locker?

How can I stregnten the roof? Thank you, no one had mentioned anything about roof leaks! (yet).

What a great communty!

#14 ·
Just a Hunter makes a good point. The pro4x isn't anything special. You can likely setup the c200 to be as good or better for less. There's no proof that the c200 is weaker and I think it has some aftermarket gears and air locker.

If you want to swap axles anyway, I'd go for a Titan axle to match the front track width.

#17 ·
Just a Hunter makes a good point. The pro4x isn't anything special. You can likely setup the c200 to be as good or better for less. There's no proof that the c200 is weaker and I think it has some aftermarket gears and air locker.

If you want to swap axles anyway, I'd go for a Titan axle to match the front track width.

Adding an air locker seems to be expensive too. I was planning on buying M226 & M205 at junkyards. So a Titan axle with an Elocker to match the front track width and gears at 3.36? It would proably be easier for me to find the Titan axle together with the M205 anyway! And no spacers needed now. Wow! Great leaning. Thank you,

#31 ·
This. I've an X trim with 33's and a body lift. I can go just about anywhere I'd ever possibly want in it. You can go basically everywhere with your current set-up and some driving skill. The locker will make it easier to get somewhere you can't get unstuck from.

Have fun!

I know right. And it looks good on the Colorado. When I was researching doing it seems like almost no one really does it or are against the way it looks for the Xterra. Weird. Cheap and functional while you wait 3-6 months for an aftermarket bumper.
Uhhm. who is taking 6 months to produce a bumper? Don't give them your money. Hardcore Offroad had my money and three weeks later the bumper was on my X.

#23 ·
What up. I am also new to the forum and xterra game. And that’s my buddy with the vk swap video. Needless to say he is the reason I got one. Actually bought it off him. I didn’t blink twice and bought everything for the titan swap. Along with bumper, sliders, engine skid plate. I will tell you IF you think like I do you will throw money at it tswapping it though. I was like well going to swap the rear axle so might as well do ubolt flip kit with bash plate, going to change the diff fluid so I’ll throw and arb cover on, new shocks so grab some rear shock skid plates, don’t want to wonder about an add a leaf flattening out so bought ome full leaf springs. You get the point. But meh one and done like I said. I will tell you what swayed me to do this is riding in my buddies titan swap frontier. But also makes me want to vk swap mine too next lol. That thing rips!

#28 ·
If you’re really just wanting to get out there now which you can, but two things that you could do now to help is the rear diff breather mod which will transfer to whatever you decide to do with the rear. Plus cut your front bumper to make a better approach angle. The stock front bumper was what was holding me back the most. 285s will fit stock height with melt mod as well. Here’s what cut front bumper looks like. Haven’t did it because my shrockworks will be here next week but going to do it to my buddy’s X maybe this weekend

#30 ·
I know right. And it looks good on the Colorado. When I was researching doing it seems like almost no one really does it or are against the way it looks for the Xterra. Weird. Cheap and functional while you wait 3-6 months for an aftermarket bumper.

#32 ·
Uhhm. who is taking 6 months to produce a bumper? Don't give them your money. Hardcore Offroad had my money and three weeks later the bumper was on my X.
[/QUOTE]
Shrockworks was 5 months for mine and sliders. Heftyfab says 16-20 weeks build time on theirs via website. Ordered an engine skid from them and it came in half the time it said was needed though. I’ve been waiting almost 3 months for radiator clamps from prg but got other items from him quick. Emailed maxterra for a rear bumper. He said 5 months lead time. I’m glad you ordered yours and got it quick. It doesn’t always happen that way. I’ve ordered from almost every vendor and it’s just a toss up of what happens it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.