Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member asked me to post photos of my 6" lift with a differential drop kit (below is a diagram of a drop kit).

I never planned on doing rock crawling when I got my lift. Rather, I planned on doing beach and overlanding only (in addition to being my daily driver). Therefore, my shop recommended a differential drop kit because my X would continue to ride like OEM, and there would be less wear and tear on the steering and suspension components.

Needless to say, I got the rock crawling bug, and went to the East Coast Xterra Challenger at Rausch Creek. I did have some clearance issues due to the differential drop which resulted in some awful thuds and other sounds. However, my differential skid plate did its job, and I was otherwise able to keep up with the big boys and girls.

Rectangle Parallel Diagram Pattern Font Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
788 Posts
It took me a moment to realize that LCA is been moved down wow..
so nice to see all the new pars on the truck right )
I need to work on saving up for similar body armor now... I do like metal front bumpers but at the same time I dont really want to add extra weight if I do I will more likly have to replace my springs as well but for sure I need under body armor...

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
TNX Veteran
4,573 Posts
I've heard clearance complaints before about the front crossmember, but I don't really get it. You don't really LOSE any clearance under the crossmember, it's just the rest of the truck has moved higher in comparison to it. Instead of having a pretty flat surface from front to back, you now have a "lower" spot under the engine and a low spot at the rear axle. I think the clearance you gain in the sides is well worth the maybe inch or so loss of clearance from random brackets at the front crossmember.

Looks great!

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
208 Posts
is there a skid under there or is the bracket essentially the skid?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there a skid under there or is the bracket essentially the skid?
This is the body armor I have:

Radiator

Wheel Tire Truck Vehicle White

Front Differential

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Transmission
, Transfer Case & Gas Tank (138 pounds)

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Motor vehicle Machine

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Attached are additional photos of my front differential armor and differential drop.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel Tread Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I've heard clearance complaints before about the front crossmember, but I don't really get it. You don't really LOSE any clearance under the crossmember, it's just the rest of the truck has moved higher in comparison to it. Instead of having a pretty flat surface from front to back, you now have a "lower" spot under the engine and a low spot at the rear axle. I think the clearance you gain in the sides is well worth the maybe inch or so loss of clearance from random brackets at the front crossmember.

Looks great!
Its because a lot of these kits leave the LCA at the factory angle, while a 2 or 3in lift has them at a steeper angle (giving a couple more inches under the diff). His LCA look level/horizontal, while a 2-3in lift gives you that much more space under the front diff/skid.
Also, SOME of the drop brackets are straight across, while others curve up in the middle (like this one, or have an offset/asymmetrical structure that's only as low as the diff, and not any lower. So, some are much worse than this one. Also, probably some people just being frustrated that they don't get anywhere NEAR "x inches" of additional clearance under the dead center part of the truck thats likely to hit in a simple rutted trail.
Its all a trade off of where you think you'll most benefit from additional clearance.

With that said... rocker clearance is our weak point (on many types of trails) and I'm sure the axles are happier being level, and possibly a better alignment/handling with the level control arms.

Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
on line
2,413 Posts
Looks like you are missing the longitudinal reinforcements that keep the drop bracket from fording back under severe loads. The brackets are there, just nothing hooked up to them. Typically there are strut rods that toe back into the transmission crossmember.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like you are missing the longitudinal reinforcements that keep the drop bracket from fording back under severe loads. The brackets are there, just nothing hooked up to them. Typically there are strut rods that toe back into the transmission crossmember.
Can you post a photo of what you think I need?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. As someone running an Ironman lift kit, it seems like they used Ironman leafs for the rear, were you aware of that? Just curious is all.
No. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

·
Registered
105 Posts
No. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Don't think it is either, just curious if you chose them specifically or if the shop chose them. I have the exact same leafs in my lift kit and since Ironman doesn't seem that common around here, it is interesting to me that some shops are using its parts as parts of its build that's all!

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
788 Posts
I really like all of that armor under this is something I will need to get slowly... overtime I guess...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I really like all of that armor under this is something I will need to get slowly... overtime I guess...
As someone who has done that. I'd suggest against it.
1, you pay a lot more shipping it in parts.
2, there's usually a discount for ordering a full set.

I did mine in parts because some was a Bday wish list (and full set cost was too steep to 'request'), along with wanting some aluminum and some steel. On top of that, I've recently ordered a radiator skid with $65/$75 shipping, which would have shipped for free with a bumper (I'm not ready for that yet, but you can see how the costs add up).

But yes, the skids do bring piece of mind to the noises you hear while wheeling lol AND, they let you slide right over stuff rather than getting hung up.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yup. that keeps the whole diff from rocking back when you smash the flat front drop bracket into a rock... or pile of sand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts