Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just told me he's looking into buying an X. He's a bit confused and so am i, which is why im posting this question.

The X is offered in 4WD SE and OR, which is best for what conditions.

and

Should he go with a manual or automatic 4WD? We've both never owned a 4WD and would love to get out there in remote areas of desert and mountain.
I doubt we'll be doing any rock climbing. We dont like our paint chipping or scratching.

We're thinking of getting '08s. Thanks guys!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Actually the X is offered in X, S, SE, and OR (2wd and 4wd)

X -is super base model (power nothing), steel wheels
S -is base plus power options (other things are optional), alloy wheels
SE -is the bling edition with RF stereo and chrome accents on the dash, it also has a trip computer that gives you dte (distance till empty) mpg (miles per gallon) etc., fog lights, 17" alloy wheels.
OR -is the real mans package. Rear locker, slightly larger tires, skid plates, bilstein shocks, power widows locks, fog lights, alloy wheels, and seats that are made of a water resistant material that make them easier to clean.

If you want to get a 4wd and you dont do extreme offroading then the S model would be fine, but if you want a little more bling the you could go with the SE model. But if you want a straight from the factory badass/ capable vehicle... then go with the off road.

As for automatic or manual... that is all up to you. If you are experienced enough with a manual while wheeling then that would be okay, but if you arent that good at driving a stick then auto is definietly the way to go... especially if you plan on doing offroading.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
The OR has a rear locker and Bilstein shocks.

If you are looking to go into remote areas in the desert and the mountains, the truck will get scratched. There will be paint chips. It is just part of 4 wheeling.

Auto vs. Manual is a matter of preference. There are strong opinions on both sides. Because I use mine as a daily driver (in Phoenix traffic), I chose an automatic.

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
definitely the case, AZ-TED. About chipping and scratching, i meant no way we'd go up paths where you're sitting on 3 wheels about to tip over nor going boulder hopping with risk of scraping against rocks. Off Road driving where you might get a branch running up against your paintjob, im fine with. Its part of the remote access fun and comes with the territory.

SE -is the bling edition with RF stereo and chrome accents on the dash, it also has a trip computer that gives you dte (distance till empty) mpg (miles per gallon) etc., fog lights, 17" alloy wheels.
OR -is the real mans package. Rear locker, slightly larger tires, skid plates, bilstein shocks, power widows locks, fog lights, alloy wheels, and seats that are made of a water resistant material that make them easier to clean.
Now, we'd probably go with the SE or OR 4WD only cuz we like the RF stereo and the extras. I do like the seats my 05 X SE has.
Now can you get the same interior in the OR as you get with the SE? Im definitely into havign the rear locker and larger tires, and extras the OR has.

Then again, maybe i dont need the fully loaded ORs, but then again, i just dont wanna mess with anything inside once i get it..... only maybe raise the suspension and bigger tires, and a few more external extras.

Decisions, decisions. Geez.

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive just been told the 2009 Xterras will have a new look. Hmmmmmmm. I think i might just have to keep my '05 til late '08.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Now, we'd probably go with the SE or OR 4WD only cuz we like the RF stereo and the extras..
I say skip the rockford and build your own system, it would be cheaper and sound better :geek: If you do get the SE I don't think you have a choice though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts