Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I can only anticipate some clever comments for that one)

But seriously, how do I fix it?

·
Read Only
656 Posts
I get hit w/ a bad smell when I first turn my A/C on, too. Although I think of the smell as more of a chemical one, similar to flurocarbons. Usually clears up in a few minutes. Been having weird weather here lately: heat on in the AM and A/C on for the ride home. So I've followed a tip someone mentioned and turning the A/C off before parking the X. About a mile from the house I turn it off and turn the fan up and the recirculate off. Windows down and by the time I get in the garage the cool air is all gone and the vents filled w/ fresh air. Next day when I turn the A/C on for the trip home, the smell is not as strong as clears quicker.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
(I can only anticipate some clever comments for that one)
It just scares me that you know what a moldy nut sack smells like... :drunken:

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Pull the micro filter (if you have one) spray some isopropyl alcohol into the housing, also spray alcohol into the HVAC air intake, then run the AC. Repeat for a few days and follow Buxwheats suggestion on killing the AC before you stop the car. The moldy smell is coming from moisture in the condenser and mold forming when the car is turned off.

·
on line
237 Posts
buxwheat said:
So I've followed a tip someone mentioned and turning the A/C off before parking the X.
A friend of mine had to have her entire Rav4 ducting replaced due to this moldy smell. The dealer told her that you should always turn off the air conditioning and allow air to circulate prior to turning off the vehicle...otherwise moldy smell to develop in your car. But I haven't heard of this problem or solution alot.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well clean the air ducts. Lysol, put some in intake and let it sit overnight. Change the Micro Filters, And from now on, as you come in for a landing turn the Ac off about 3 to 5 min before you turn it off, this gets the humidity - moisture out of the air and drys out the ducts thus preventing the problem. Same info may be in OM. MC

·
on line
631 Posts
There is also the recirc intake on the passenger side, above the carpet edge right below the blower motor. i have an air freshner there for this reason, so i dont have this smell.

·
on line
551 Posts
I got some of that AC refresh spray and it cleared up the same problem we had in the Dodge Dakota. Of course it came back, cause the dealer could never get it fixed correctly. But it did work fairly well.

·
on line
37 Posts
it helps to take showers once in a while. that way your nutsack doesnt smell or get moldy!!!

maybe a splash of simple green up under the sack would do the trick!!!

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
my truck finally has this smell.

found this in another post...
Look for a product by the name of Nu-Calgon Foaming Evaporator cleaner should cost about twelve bucks or any brand of rinse free foaming coil cleaner from your local heat and air supply shop. Gain access to the evaporator coil and spray the stuff on thick and resemble and the job is done you do not even have to weight for the foam to break down.

The idea of simply spraying the foam down the center vents or filling the blower housing with foam and using the blower to distribute it does not seem that effective to me I would rather see a thick even coverage sprayed directly into the coils. Just be careful not to bend any fins over as even a few will seriously affect how efficient the system is.

I have not seen ours but if you can see where the drain pan's drain tube is the foam can be handy to blow the hose out with the pressure of the foam, this will clear any blockages that more likley caused the odor in the first place. Just do not turn on the AC for an hour or so to let it do its work. If their is any humidity in the air the next time you turn your AC on for a few minutes the condensation will wash any residue chemicals away, I would recommend doing doing this after an hour or so of the treatment. Just let it run until you see the tail tail dripping under the passenger side just in front of the door.
Question is, how do you get to the Evap Coil?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I had this a bit, it was helped by not turning the truck off with the AC on (AC off a few minutes before reaching the destination) ... as I'm sure was mentioned once or twice. What made the biggest difference though, for me, was replacing the in-cabin micro filter ... I think some condensation may have gotten to it and caused it to start growing things.

·
on line
606 Posts
surprised nobody brought up fumunda cheese all know what i am talking about... also do they make a foam you can run through the ac i saw something like that on two guys grarge
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
I had this a bit, it was helped by not turning the truck off with the AC on (AC off a few minutes before reaching the destination) ... as I'm sure was mentioned once or twice. What made the biggest difference though, for me, was replacing the in-cabin micro filter ... I think some condensation may have gotten to it and caused it to start growing things.
yeah, i've been really good about turning off the ac before i get somewhere...it just got REALLY bad in the past week. I want to throw up if it's been sitting in the heat.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts