Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, from 126k to 169k it has been a labor of love for my N50. Many of you might know me for my roof rack design that I have yet to follow through with, but I thought I would show you my build up of the X. Repairs, maintenance and the fun stuff like adventures and modifications. I hope you enjoy the pictures, I am/was a Pro photographer haha. Feel free to chat about repairs/modifications etc!

My first adventure was on my way home from buying the car! An abandoned mine that I bypassed the concrete barriers by using that "4WD" switch, whatever that is. When I arrived in Oregon, my current home, I started the real journey of maintaining this adventure vehicle. Serpentine belt, air filters, fixing the washer fluid reservoir crack, replacing spark plugs(NGK,) Cleaning throttle body, Oil change(high mileage full synthetic,) rear/front diff fluid(full synthetic,) bleeding brakes and of course checking them.

Then it happened. The dreaded transmission death of the 05/06 years. Previous owner flushed the tranny(gender neutral) and sold it to me knowing it was dying. Boom goes my savings account. 4k dollars down but not a problem since.

My parking brake suckeddddd so bad(being a rental vehicle at the beginning) and eventually I stretched the Transfer case chain by parking on extreme hills. 1k to buy and replace transfer case with a used one(full synthetic oil put in that I supplied to mechanics.) By this time I was running with a cheap 12v compressor to air down tires off road. I learned that I needed a chainsaw after cutting trees by hand and breaking the remaining with my tow strap and factory tow hook.I'd show you a picture but it has my ex so f that b amiright. I now own a milwaukee 18v Chainsaw which I definitely recommend!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let's move into some major adventures and some of my first investments. I wanted to start with recovery devices that could be moved from vehicle to vehicle in case I ended up not sticking with this car or made friends to go with. I own a pair of OG orange Maxtrax, paired with my compressor and deflators, I could go most places unbothered as long as it wasn't too rutted etc. Don't buy the knock off Maxtrax for the love of anything; Mine have not faded one bit after three years and have been bent and abused(by people I helped) and they are still fantastic. I have replaced two studs that got melted of by said person with a bolt and nut; that has worked well as it's similar to the new maxtrax.

Let's talk accessories that you might have noticed in the first post. The first thing I removed was the the terribly low side steps that I would have crumpled into my rocker panels soon enough. Second thing I took off was the low hanging tow hitch. Do I regret it very very rarely? Yes. Am I glad its gone 95% of the time? Yes. You'll see later how I made that 99% of the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now comes the end of an era... No more stock look, stock ground clearance/sag, or getting stuck(or at least being able to get out.)

First lets get rid of those stupid(imho) 17 inch rims and get back to some 16 inchers. I want less rim and the most rubber I can get. I got some matte black 16 inch rims with and inset spoke pattern to avoid rocks and some LT265/70R16 KO2's to go with them. I had to employ the "melt mod" to get it not to rub as I hadn't received my lift yet.

The next thing to arrive was my ARB bumper. Sure you guys love the shrockworks but the ARB is tested and in my opinion offers more customization. There's holes and mounts for loads of stuff like big lights, fog/turning/running lights and a hi-lift. It was b to put on considering a tow truck driver tore my stock tow hook off and bent my frame. I had to upgrade the bulbs in the ARB lamps to LED otherwise the X thinks its pulling to much current/shorted and shuts off the turn signals. I went with the new rugged ridge 10k lb synthetic winch to accompany it.

Then came my OME heavy duty(front/rear) lift kit. This was pretty easy install except for the coils in front which bent my cheap(harbor freight) spring compressor and were barely small enough to squeeze in to place with the compressors on. I think I had to sacrifice straps to get them in actually, cutting them once in place. I definitely get coil bucket contact even with the bumper/winch. I think I will get the Calmini UPA soon to remedy that and get more flex out of the front.

As the weight of my X increased I knew I needed to upgrade brakes. I had new rotors/pads in the back previously and I know that the front does at least 60% of the braking so I went ahead and went with the Powerstop heavy duty kit for the front. Slotted/Drilled rotors with great pads and new beefy calipers. I didn't stop there. I installed the Nisstec stainless braided brake lines front and rear. Both of those combined have given me much more confidence in stopping power. My next stop with be going with DOT 5.1 Fluid which I hear is much better at not compressing.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
892 Posts
For brake fluid they are a liquid which can't be compressed so there isn't one that "compresses less".
The only thing you get with the higher DOT number is a higher boiling point so if you aren't road racing or dragging your brakes all the time there really isn't a need for higher boiling point on our Xterra's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts