Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my stock muffler finally cracked and needs to be replaced. Any recommendations? Also, is there a How-to on the topic?

Thanks,
Mike

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Do you want stock quiet or obnoxious loud? And plenty of options in the middle as well.

Once you decide that will give way more insight into what advise you should be seeking.

I have had my share of loud exhausts. Fun when young and dumb, they get obnoxious when on a long trip. It's not like the V6 sounds all that good anyway, I sure don't want to hear more of it.

I believe you can get a good stock type muffler from Walker.

Curious what cracked on the stock muffler? If you are thinking a few of the spot welds on the bottom, they all do that and still work just fine.

·
on line
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So just called the local shop, was quoted over the phone with $290 to swap out muffler w/ labor included (this included a Y-pipe needed). Lifetime warranty on muffler as well. I'm going to take it to another local shop who doesn't specialized in mufflers but said he might be able to weld the rear seam to buy some time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
You don't need the Y pipe - you just need a muffler with 2 in 1 out and a shop can run the piping without the Y. In fact, many of us delete the Y pipe because it tends to restrict airflow. I bought my muffler online and brought it to a shop. They ran bigger pipes, and deleted the Y for 100$

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
buy a flowmaster on ebay for 50 to 80 and take that to the shop. shouldnt cost more than 40 to have it put in...

y pipe work will cost more. 100 sounds good for labor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts