Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove my mudguards as i belive it enhances the look.Only question is do they actually have a purpose?Are they protecting the undercarriage or the side rockers from dirt/sand/salt/debreis that will ruin the paint?

Ive been outside a few times with the screwdriver ready to go at it, then had second thoughts...someone convince me

·
on line
589 Posts
I'll bet you 80% of the owners on here have removed their mud guards. Nothing to worry about, in fact it's been known for them to break during off-roading anyways...

·
on line
60 Posts
You will get quite a bit of dirt/mud slinging when you remove them. But if you intend to get your truck dirty, then this helps. Right?

I don't regret taking mine off one bit.

·
on line
79 Posts
ive also been debating about removing mine or not. is there any chance that the paint will get scratched alot. if there isnt much of a chance im probably going to do it sometime soon too.

·
on line
60 Posts
pavementSucks said:
ive also been debating about removing mine or not. is there any chance that the paint will get scratched alot. if there isnt much of a chance im probably going to do it sometime soon too.
There's always a chance you will scratch your paint. Removing the mud flaps probably does increase that chance, however I don't have any scratches from doing so....

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least i'm not the only one debating this...I really started to think bout it when i looked at the crap that was collecting in them from the recent snow salt ice mixes...Is that kinda salt/sand mix harmful to the paint if left? I dont wash my truck very often....there's hershey kisses still in it from valentines day

·
on line
400 Posts
B REAL said:
At least i'm not the only one debating this...I really started to think bout it when i looked at the crap that was collecting in them from the recent snow salt ice mixes...Is that kinda salt/sand mix harmful to the paint if left? I dont wash my truck very often....there's hershey kisses still in it from valentines day
best to wash that salt off since it will through out time produce a chemical reaction that might eat away at the paint

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Yes you will get more kicked up on the side of the X without the mud flaps. If you wheel with them on you also stand the chance of doing some good body damage. I have taken them off and I have not noticed any paint damage from things being kicked up. Also I am very anal about a clean vehicle so the salt/slush is not an issue.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
You'll get minor nicks on the lower section of your rear quarter panels but people like me, with MT tires, might get them more often than others.

·
on line
332 Posts
remove them.. but keep the aft ones on until you go four wheeling that way you dont kick to many rocks back into traffic behind you during daily use.

·
on line
79 Posts
ive decided im taking hte back ones off and leaving the front ones on. the back ones seem to be more vulnerable and are really annoying when on gravel or snow.

·
on line
1,165 Posts
pavementSucks said:
ive decided im taking hte back ones off and leaving the front ones on. the back ones seem to be more vulnerable and are really annoying when on gravel or snow.
that would definately give you a different look. IMO, all or nothing.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies but i kinda solve my own problem last night. Pulling out of a spot, where i had been plowed in, appartly 1/2 of my passenger read flap was ripped out. I noticed when i got to where i was headed that it was hanging there with a what looks like a clip from behind it hanging there. I cant really describe it but as soon as i get dressed i should go look at it.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well the Rear don't do much at all with the plastic bumper corner back there, what can hurt that?

OK we move to the front, yea, that will spray all sorts of crap on your Xterra sides and rockers.

BUT { If you have a set of Shrockworks sliders, you are in luck, they take a lot of it for the X. Some people (Most I dare say?) put the tread tape on the Shrockworks bars where you may step, it preserves the powdercoat and keeps them looking new. Take the extra step and do the very front end of that Square tube also and this will really protect it.
And keep a coat of wax on it, Sliders........ S l I D E R S.

Take em off, they will come off anyways even on a Mall Crawler. MC

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...So there ar e 4 screws inside the wheel well and is it a clip that holds it on the backside to the bottom of the bumper (for lack of a better description) by the step or is it a rivet cause mine has no thread?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I remember there being some rivits. Pop out the middle and they come right out. Or as I did just rip em out... :blackeye:

·
TNX Administrator
20,444 Posts
Erick said:
I'll bet you 80% of the owners on here have removed their mud guards. Nothing to worry about, in fact it's been known for them to break during off-roading anyways...
Has anyone thought about installing the flexible rubber type, (i.e. Yosemite Sam), in place of the soild ones.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Old Navy said:
Has anyone thought about installing the flexible rubber type, (i.e. Yosemite Sam), in place of the soild ones.
Or how about the ones with the silhouette of the buxom babe?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Yeah, I have thought about it. I even bought some that fit. I've just been too concerned with aesthetics to install the ones I bought. I think it looks much better without them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts