Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I did a search and didn't find anything. Im looking into getting an Xterra. I have a question about the manual transmission though.

I keep seeing this clutchless start mentioned. What exactly is this? Does this mean you can start the engine without using the clutch or does it mean that you can get the car rolling in first gear without the clutch?

Thank you.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
It's a "clutch bypass" so if you stall in a precarious position, you can keep your foot on the brake as you turn the key. Crank it (in gear), and release the brake. Viola.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I stole this fromt the other site: (Clutch interlock bypass switch)

The next time you stall on an incline, and want to continue moving uphill, without that creep backwards while moving from brake to throttle, just turn on the CIBS. When it's engaged, the clutch no longer has to be held in, and you can start in gear, with your foot on the brake. Once the starter starts moving the vehicle, let off the brake and let it pull you along until the engine fires, then it's back to driving as normal.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
The clutch start button allows you to start your truck w/o depressing the clutch pedal. Normally, when the clutch pedal is depressed, it presses a switch that allows the engine to start (safety feature, same as pressing the brake in an automatic). If the clutch pedal is not completely depressed, no start. With your X ignition key turned to on, press the clutch start button until it lights. Now you can turn the key to start and the engine will fire. If you are neutral, engine starts and truck stands still. Put truck in first gear and do the same thing and the engine starts and truck starts to crawl (especially in 4 Lo and locker on). This routine is great if you are off roading and stall negotiating a hill or a rock. If you had to restart with clutch in and then start easing out the clutch, you may roll back a bit while getting your foot off the brake and over to the gas pedal before you get going forward. This might be just enough to get you stuck, or slide off a rock, or off the trail with disasterous results. Makes you wish you had bought an automatic with a hill lock. This is when you use your clutch start button. With the clutch out and shifter in first, you don't need the brake. Just turn the key and you go forward. No rolling back at all. You can even bump the starter just a little to move ever so slightly without completely starting the engine. Best to try it out in your driveway or an empty paking lock before trying this maneuver in a sticky situation. Try pulling right up to a curb and give it a try. Your truck will just jump right over that bump. Also, try to find this little book: Mark A. Smith's "Guide to Safe, Common-Sense, Off-Road Driving". He explains this technique as well as other good stuff.

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Just purchased myself an offroad toy - 87 Toyota MT and it also has the Clutch Bypass button. So this idea has been around for a while :) I find this useful when I need to reach into the truck to start it. i.e. While standing outside the X, make sure it's not in gear, press the clutch bypass button then turn the ignition to start. No need to hop in and press the clutch.

·
on line
142 Posts
Clutch interlock bypass switch = extra equipment you need to defeat the other extra equipment that is put it to keep stupid people from starting the vehicle while it's in gear.

Z.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
ZwithanX said:
Clutch interlock bypass switch = extra equipment you need to defeat the other extra equipment that is put it to keep stupid people from starting the vehicle while it's in gear.

Z.
Along with the tire preasure things and seat belt lights and no smoking/drinking when pregnant. etc etc etc... oh and extra equipment is nice talk for surperfluous equipment...

·
Read Only
656 Posts
ZwithanX said:

Z.
I agree. If you must design stuff like this by law, at least design it to be defeated if desired by the end-user. Jeep knows this and made it easy to defeat the interlock bypass switch: simply remove (or is it add? I can't remember) one fuse. Instructions are in the manual.

As far as a rolling start and kicking off your truck, I've never tried it w/ the Xterra. Done it many times in the past with various cars w/ MT's. Start rolling it down a hill w/ clutch in and shifter in first or second, then pop the clutch when you're rolling pretty quickly. Usually will fire right up. I have also had someone push the car on a flat spot and do the same thing. Today I will get at the top of a hill and try this to see if there are anymore annoying "safety features" that prevent an easy solution to a common problem.

I get so ticked at reading warning labels on everything these days. Either mandated, or placed there as a legal disclaimer to avoid frivolous lawsuits. I'm surprised that the government hasn't required S&W and Colt to put BIG WARNING labels on their guns telling you not to point the barrel at yourself or others since "Serious injury or death may result."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts