Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Best in snow with only 2wd?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which will be better for driving in 2wd on snowy roads? BFG AT KOs or Definity Dakota MT or Firestone Destination MT?

·
on line
191 Posts
I'm sorry, what is this "SNOW" is that some type of weather condition? Never heard of it.

·
on line
104 Posts
Actually, if you are talking strictly snowy roads, the best tires I have ever had for those conditions were the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos.

·
on line
704 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not driven in snow on any of the tires mentioned above.

Something tells me that a lot of things depend on the snow (deep, moist, hardened, etc) and the kind of driving you plan to do. If you are talking about somewhat well packed deep snow, you probably want to float on it, not dig in. For floating you would want to get the widest footprint and moderate "claws" in order to prevent digging yourself in. If that is the case, then you should probably get all terrain tires and deflate them.

Now, if we are talking about not soo deep slushy snow, then you probably want skinnies at normal pressure so they can dig in through the snow, hit the ground and let you use the traction that comes from the tire-to-ground contact. Then I'd vote for an MT tire that is known for NOT packing snow.

I have heard that Firestone Destination M/T is somewhat in the middle between AT and MT. Also, take look at Cooper ST which is a bit more aggressive then BFG AT.

·
on line
80 Posts
Stay away from a MT tire in the winter, especially if it doesn't have sipes. MT tires are great in fresh/loose/semi-deep snow, but scary on hard packed snow and ice. Winter tire treads are covered in sipes, to remove the fine layer of water that forms on ice/hard pack snow that causes you to slip.

MT tires suck in the rain for this reason as well.

·
on line
617 Posts
For the winter I would recommend something along the lines of Latitude X-ICE from Michelin. This is a studless ice and snow tire with low temp compounds intended for winter driving.

I had a similar type of Michelin studless tire for my car and it made the car nearly unstoppable in snow up to 6". I even drove through Red Mountain Pass, Colorado in a blizzard once on those tires.

The downside is you end up with a second set of wheels and tires. The upside is that you save 4 month of wear and tear on your regular tires and you end up with one hell of a winter vehicle.

-Old Army

·
on line
51 Posts
I went up skiing at Big Bear yesterday with about 40 miles of snow covered roads (what a novelty for socal). I was very impressed with the traction of the AT KO on the packed snow as well as deep snow. The the traction control system (VDC) was also impressive - with the VDC on, the computer really made it difficult to get out of control, further increasing confidence. Of course, spinning around in a huge parking lot with the VDC off was entertaining.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
I used BFG AT's for 3 and a half years when i was stationed at Ft. Drum. I never once had a problem through the winters and absolutely loved them! Never stuck, went through snow in 2wd like a champ. I had a 94 Ford Explorer 4x4 back then.

Now that being said, this time around when i need new tires i will try out the General grabber AT2.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
BFG AT's for sure. I've had very good luck with them in the snow.

The LAST thing you want to do in snow is 'float' on wide mud tires. That's a sure way to go sliding. Narrow tires with greater bite work much better, packed snow or fresh snow.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not driven in snow on any of the tires mentioned above.

Something tells me that a lot of things depend on the snow (deep, moist, hardened, etc) and the kind of driving you plan to do. If you are talking about somewhat well packed deep snow, you probably want to float on it, not dig in. For floating you would want to get the widest footprint and moderate "claws" in order to prevent digging yourself in. If that is the case, then you should probably get all terrain tires and deflate them.

Now, if we are talking about not soo deep slushy snow, then you probably want skinnies at normal pressure so they can dig in through the snow, hit the ground and let you use the traction that comes from the tire-to-ground contact. Then I'd vote for an MT tire that is known for NOT packing snow.

I have heard that Firestone Destination M/T is somewhat in the middle between AT and MT. Also, take look at Cooper ST which is a bit more aggressive then BFG AT.
Better listen to the disclaimer and ignore everything else :)

For ALL conditions, you want a narrow, skinny tire with good bite in the snow or ice. The more PSI of pressure you can create for the contact patch, the better.

For winter snow driving, I highly recommend studless snow tires on dedicated winter steel wheels. My current favorites are the Micheline X-Ice on my Mercedes, and Pilot Alpine on my Audi.

·
on line
504 Posts
I live in Alberta Canada and I'm running the stock tire size of 265/70/16" BFG AT KO and I love them. On harder packed ice like snow they definatley slip around but overall they are amazing. I had them off roading in the snow and they are great. I found that you have to sometimes spin them to clear the treads to gain traction once in a while but highly recommend them!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Another VERY good dedicated snow tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak (sp?) ... I've never been off road on them (they are what my parents have always used on their cars in the winter, in Colorado), but when I've driven with them in the snow the vehicle has usually surprised me with its 'surefooted-ness'.

-Jonathan

·
on line
2,306 Posts
Now that being said, this time around when i need new tires i will try out the General grabber AT2.
I've been incredibly happy with my AT2's over the past couple months, and we have had a boatload of snow, and resulting ice conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

The BFG KO's were decent as well, you'll rarely hear anything negative about them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts