Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the X since 2009 and it's by far the greatest vehicle I've owned. So useful. I've got a few questions for you MT guys. The truck has 170km on it and still original clutch.

I've noticed that the clutch pedal is hard to press compared to other manuals is that normal?

When pressing the clutch pedal and when I have cars or a wall next to me I can hear squeaking from outside the truck.

I've noticed that it can be difficult to change gear smoothly for 1-2-3. I slip the clutch so it's smoother but sometimes it feels like the friction spot is moving by a bit.

I also have the hard to shift on cold days. I'm in canada, we can get up to -40c. Should I be using redline?

·
on line
951 Posts
Hard shifting in cold weather is due to the oil in the transmission being thick. Make sure the oil you are using is the correct viscosity. As for difficulty between 1 2 and 3, sounds like it might be time for a clutch. Mine is slipping in 6th if I really get on it, and once in a while in 5th as well. I didn't notice a difference in the clutch pedal between the nissan and my last car, except on cold days when the nissan was easier. The difference with that might have been the mechanics of it, the nissan has a hydraulic piston on the outside of the transmission pushing the fork, and my last car had a hydraulic throwout bearing.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Diaphragm clutches are known for getting stiffer just as they wear out. Something with the angle of the release fingers from the worn disk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts