Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
221 - 240 of 243 Posts
Discussion starter · #223 ·
Great shots, Eric. Glad to see youre enjoying the new tent, looks like it was a good choice. We need to get out camping together soon, I unfortunately leave Washington in a couple of months.
It's different than the Kukenam but loving it so far. Whens your official departure date? Lets plan for an extended weekend in May with everyone as a last horraw!

It's different than the Kukenam but loving it so far. Whens your official departure date? Lets plan for an extended weekend in May with everyone as a last horraw!
So @Snowtrout, @Trixter404, and myself have decided that Memorial Day Weekend will be good for my last camping adventure in the PNW (for a while). We're still discussing where it's going to be.

I hit the road for DC on June 1st, the house goes on the market in 2 weeks. I suppose I need to find a group of like-minded Xterra owners in the mid-Atlantic region.

Any ideas for locales that won't be blocked by snow come the end of May?

Discussion starter · #225 ·
So @Snowtrout, @Trixter404, and myself have decided that Memorial Day Weekend will be good for my last camping adventure in the PNW (for a while). We're still discussing where it's going to be.

I hit the road for DC on June 1st, the house goes on the market in 2 weeks. I suppose I need to find a group of like-minded Xterra owners in the mid-Atlantic region.

Any ideas for locales that won't be blocked by snow come the end of May?
A little late response. I'm going to out of town next weekend, so unfortunately I will have to miss out. The Utah photos looked great! I bet that was an awesome trip. Best of luck out there, I'm sure you'll find some xterra folks around there.

As for camp spots, I'm pretty sure most places should be AOK to go anywhere at elevation under 4500ft.

Discussion starter · #226 ·
Took a nice trip out to the Entiat Mountains, Washington. Ran into some snow and almost fell off the side of the trail. Horray for winches!!! Super fun quick camp trip / trail run.

Still snowing at Stevens Pass on 4/27/19

Some wildflowers

I thought I could drive around the snow bank. Well I only got a few feet before the ground on my driver side tires started sinking. SCARY STUFF

Axel the Adventure pup!

Discussion starter · #228 ·
@MrBoJangles_91 looks like you’ve had your ARB bumper for a while, what are your thoughts if you had to do it all over again?
It was my first "mod". I love the thing for three reasons

1. You can get it ASAP. Usually within a week or two. Which is awesome compared to a few months to a year wait time with others.
2. It is SOLID. The design is great.
3. I've used the front bar to tap trees in tight situation more times than I can count.

On dislike is that it does not come with recovery points. But all you have to do is get a little crafty.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but only because I've already done it. If I get another xterra I would go with a hefty

It was my first "mod". I love the thing for three reasons

1. You can get it ASAP. Usually within a week or two. Which is awesome compared to a few months to a year wait time with others.

2. It is SOLID. The design is great.

3. I've used the front bar to tap trees in tight situation more times than I can count.

On dislike is that it does not come with recovery points. But all you have to do is get a little crafty.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but only because I've already done it. If I get another xterra I would go with a hefty

Awesome, I’m between this or the hardcore bumper for about the same price. How’d you end up doing your recovery points? Did you end up using the factory hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #230 ·
Awesome, I’m between this or the hardcore bumper for about the same price. How’d you end up doing your recovery points? Did you end up using the factory hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P&P Engineering used to make these steel angled blocks that you can mount to the frame. I dont think they do anymore. I did not have factory hooks. But you could also go with that option

You can see them in this photo,

Discussion starter · #231 ·
Drove around Stampede Pass last Sunday with @Snowtrout. The pass itself is clear of snow but we did hit snow on FS-7040 at 4800ft. We decided to turn around and head a different way back to the top of Stampede Pass. We were 3 miles from our starting location where we were met with more snow on a northeastern facing slope. @Snowtrout was in front and tried to tackle it. After about 100ft he was sliding sideways - downward. We stayed calm and after a good 30 minutes of carefully winching we got him back to safety. A few weeks now and hopefully all that sketchy snow will be melted away.

Discussion starter · #232 ·
This last weekend I decided to switch up my camping routine. I borrowed my friends fully built diesel Mercedes Sprinter Van. I trekked it up to North Cascades National Park and camped on the eastern side. Such an amazing / remote area. The drove alongside the Columbia river to Teanaway, WA Saturday to meet up with some friends and camp. Sunday morning I participated in a trail run race, which was a blast.

This van is a beast! So much fun to drive. And it is GIANT compared to the xterra. Plus the diesel engine gets about 600 miles to the full tank = can't beat that.

Alcans arrived yesterday. Made it to my house one month after I ordered them directly from the shop. 3" @ #650. Gonna throw them on sometime next week.
[/IMG]
Before you do the install, get some silicon grease. You'll need to lather the bushings before install. Trust me when I say you don't want to pull it apart a month after install like I did!

Discussion starter · #236 ·
Well today was fun.... until it wasn't

Was out at Moses Lake Sand Dunes with some friends. We had plans to BBQ and jet ski. But first we decided to trek it through the dunes. Pretty much at the southern side of the dunes I drove over a rock. Said rock caught my skid plate, rotated the rock and the rock stabbed my oil pan. Instantly all my oil was now on the sand. At first I thought it was my front diff so I quickly shifted out of 4WD and turned the car off. Then I realized it was my oil pan and the pillar behind the diff that took all the damage. BIG props to my friend and his little jeep for towing my 80% out of the dunes. Another jeep passed us and offered to help tow the rest of the way. Thankfully I pay for roadside assistance and Geico got me a tow to the closest Nissan Dealership 65 miles away. The tow company rents Uhauls so I rented a Uhaul and made my way home. Tomorrow I will be picking up a auto trailer and trekking it 128 miles to go pick up the xterra and tow it home. Then drop it off at I think the dealership to have them take a look at it.

Pretty bummed about what happened but that's life and life goes on.

Discussion starter · #238 ·
A skid out have protected the oil pan but I'm not to sure about the cross bar. Photo below. They are assessing the damage at the dealer now. Its been a fun few years of the build and I'm not quite ready to give it up. This will act as a spark to get me to get it back to tip top shape. I have a list of maintenance that I have been putting off.

Once I hear back from them and get it fixed, it'll be time to revamp

Oh heck... a roll of duct tape, some scrap aluminum, a few pop rivits, and a tube of RTV and you'll have it fixed better than new. :wink:

221 - 240 of 243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.