Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
201 - 220 of 243 Posts
Discussion starter · #203 · (Edited)
Took a trip out to the coast with the pup. Meant to stay out for two nights but halfway through the second day, in the middle of nowhere, the Xterra failed to start. I tried turning the key for a good 45 seconds before it actually fired up. Drove an hour and half to the nearest auto store and battery is AOK.... decided to head home after that

A video recap of the fun

I don't know... I'm at 125k. Its almost as if the engine dosent get enough breath to fire up. Or only a few cylinders were getting juice
Hmm, might be the starter too if the battery was fine. How is the idle? Is it fine? Trip any codes?

Those position sensors go at some point and will leave you stranded, might as well change them first as preventative maintenance. Use the Hitachi ones. The Xterra doesn’t seem to tip you off when they are due before a no start situation.

On my Nissan X-trail the FSM recommends changing the position sensors for either the cam or crank (or both don’t remember) at 150k km. Symptoms are rough (usually low) idle and trouble starting on the X-trail. Different vehicle, but at least they included the change up in the maintenance schedule.

Mine gave a P0340 when the cam sensor went so it wasn't hard to track down. I've got a bit higher mileage then you and I've been expecting the fuel pump to go any day now. From what I remember that gives a pretty similar no-start condition with no codes to help track it down.

Mine gave a P0340 when the cam sensor went so it wasn't hard to track down. I've got a bit higher mileage then you and I've been expecting the fuel pump to go any day now. From what I remember that gives a pretty similar no-start condition with no codes to help track it down.

Am I remembering correctly this one can be diagnosed by listening if the fuel pump comes on?

^^ was really worried this meant you were selling your X before I saw in the other thread that you were just going in a different direction for RTT

So far no codes shown. Idle seems normal. I'll mark down the rpms when I fire her up on my way home.
My passenger side cam position sensor pooped out on me and threw no codes the first time I had issues with it. My rig lost power while driving so I parked it and shut down. Wouldn’t restart. Started up just fine an hour later, no CEL at all. A week after that it had troubles starting, and when it finally dit it ran like crap, but this time threw a code for the sensor. I had 75K miles on my rig at the time. Hopefully it’s something else. Changing the passenger side cam position sensor was as much fun as getting a prostate exam from Andre the Giant; a real pain in the a$$.

Discussion starter · #216 ·
My passenger side cam position sensor pooped out on me and threw no codes the first time I had issues with it. My rig lost power while driving so I parked it and shut down. Wouldn’t restart. Started up just fine an hour later, no CEL at all. A week after that it had troubles starting, and when it finally dit it ran like crap, but this time threw a code for the sensor. I had 75K miles on my rig at the time. Hopefully it’s something else. Changing the passenger side cam position sensor was as much fun as getting a prostate exam from Andre the Giant; a real pain in the a$$.
Yeah, I'm not to sure what it is. So far this has only happened twice. Both after running on forest roads for a few hours and both at 2000ft + elevation. And now that I think about it, both times on the Olympic Peninsula....

Discussion starter · #217 ·
New tent. Sold the old Tepui on CL in less than 12 hours. A local 4x4 store dropped the Tepui Lightning in price by $1000 so I hopped on it. The thing is AWESOME. 4 buckles and it is set up in less than 15 seconds. Didn't get to camp this weekend as I was busy but will be testing it out next weekend and I am stoked!

New tent. Sold the old Tepui on CL in less than 12 hours. A local 4x4 store dropped the Tepui Lightning in price by $1000 so I hopped on it. The thing is AWESOME. 4 buckles and it is set up in less than 15 seconds. Didn't get to camp this weekend as I was busy but will be testing it out next weekend and I am stoked!

Looks great. Was the setup time the primary consideration for the swjtch?

Whats the weight of the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #219 ·
Looks great. Was the setup time the primary consideration for the swjtch?

Whats the weight of the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few things. The zipper on the rain tarp was a PITA. Plus it was never any fun breaking down the old tent in the rain. This one works better on the gobi, it's much more streamlined / aerodynamic. It was functional crossbars.

Downside, is its 195 lbs.

Discussion starter · #220 ·
Drove out to central Washington for a quick trip to unplug and relax. Tested out the Tepui and did some trail running with the pup. Was just what I needed. Camped at 3900ft elevation and it got cold and windy. The tent didn't budge against the wind.

The eastern side of the mountains is so beautiful.

Complete photo album located here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVbNLWsc3bMARrSx7

201 - 220 of 243 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.