·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wings for Shrockworks front bumper.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Covering the otherwise exposed corners.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

It should help with mpg, how much depends on many factors. Would help pushing through snow.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel

Currently made from 14 gauge stainless steel (factory applied plastic sheet on it still). Attaches with 5 bolts to bumper lip. Make holes for 1/4” bolts.

blue arrow points to a dimple needed because of stock geometry.

Bare metal or paint it yourself or powder coated to match or be 2 tone.

price tbd, depends on interest, timing, rising metal prices, if you want stainless (twice as strong as regular steel) or not…

because of location I prefer stainless steel for mine

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are 3 mounting points (showing bulky bolts) above, and 2 more holes are showing without the wings.
I will make one more hole near those 2, but all other spots get awkward unless you start with the bumper off the vehicle.

The stiffer stainless steel makes it better (stronger than thinner regular steel). I would be ok with lighter than 14 gauge stainless steel too, but 14 gauge feels like the right thickness, and weighs 5lb each.

The large open sides were never my favorite.
Tire Car Snow Wheel Land vehicle

the wings avoid air or snow resistance
Snow Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
94 Posts
hmmmmm.. if that would add 2-3mpg, i'd give up not having to remove anything when changing oil. Also, how would that hold up if that corner dropped on a rock? My rad skid and the mount are literally bent in the middle by half an inch when my front dropped on a rock and landed on the skid.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am used to seeing 15mpg on good days in 80mph, I saw 19mpg today with 1 wing, but after the 20 mile highway ride at 70mph I was returning at 17mpg.

not enough testing yet, I don’t have both wings yet, all takes time, this has been 6months in the making due to different delays, mostly waiting on bending. I will have the other wing in a day or so, now that all is figured out with bends that make it fit and it’s a mirror image for the other side.

with wheel turned this should not be in the way of reaching oil filter?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It becomes a longer reach to oil filter.
Wing is there but barely showing due to angle. Maybe 10” are added to oil filter reach.
Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

1 bolt used, 2 more holes showing. Lip to lip attachments. No highway noise and the bolt showing is barely hand tight, but I will add 2 more bolts. Wasn’t a priority since it will be coming off for powder coating.
Smaller heads on bolts, locking nuts instead of locking washers, all will be different for final attachments.
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Composite material Gas

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
313 Posts
Neat idea. I'm following. I'll have to think about it. I am not sure how much MPG it will add...but fact its not stupid thick helps(was thinking 3/16" steel hanging out there will add more weigth than aerodynamics would offset). Although if it gets whacked by a rock it ain't going to be happy at barely more than a 1/16" thick.

I'll await a pic of both installed to get a feel for it.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holes added to Shrockworks plating, 3 on the front skid plate and 3 on the bumper, for a total of 6 holes per side.
Etcher primer applied to the exposed raw metal, with a mini brush, after spraying spray can onto cardboard.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Bumper

All 6 holes showing
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

holes are big enough for 1/4” bolts
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Cobalt bits is what you want to use. I used a wireless Dewalt drill which lost torque as battery drained. I have a 1/2” wired drill which I had to use for 5/8” and larger holes before. But only a wireless drill for these holes, switching batteries once.

You start with minimum size bit and step up 3 times in my case to get just over 1/4”. My smaller bits were dulled so 2 small holes were only partially through. Drilling steel like this is very noticeable when your bits are dull.

my set has 29 bits in a cup, looks like this

And it’s on sale so that is my cue to get a new set. I paid $100 in March of 2021, 17 months ago. Very useful set if you have gone through several small sets before. These are stiffer than from HomeDepot, they have more carbon.

You need to use cutting oil, if you see smoke that is bad news and you are dulling your bits.

if you only want minimum investment, get a 1/8 and 1/4 inch and something tiny and a specialized final size…like 1/32 over 1/4 for this project

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both wings are now at powder coaters, waiting for a gray coating pretty close to the stock gray Shrockworks powder which is
Tiger Drylac DB703

Mine is a Cardinal something, I think GR64, to save time and cost.

raw stainless steel
Sleeve Grey Wood Asphalt Collar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts