Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
176 Posts
@BKCTX what brackets are those? Will be useful to others!
They are custom brackets that were designed and built by a former member, @brett. His build is detailed here. They're made from Yakima X-Tower mounts and some aluminum bar that he drilled to spec. I had seen his build and thought that the design of these had the best chance of fitting with the rack. So I reached out to him in the off chance he still checked this account and I got lucky!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Boxed rack on my rack, but this box is special. It is going on a plane, while others have gone ground. Flying mostly over water.

Rack on a rack on a rack, both heading west. Too big for post office, this wasn’t the drop off. Very windy day, tying was more critical than with unpacked racks.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
105 Posts
Thanks roxterra! Got my rack. All the way to Hawaii. It's looking good. Prepping it now to raptor bedline tomorrow. Hopefully turns out good.

Btw...if anyone on here is from Oahu, I'll be selling my Garvin Roof Rack/Basket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got my roXterra Lowrider cargo rack yesterday. Aluminum and powdercoated and looks great! You can really see the thought that went into the design and the craftsmanship in the construction. Even my wife was impressed when she saw it. Can't wait to use it overlanding with my family.

Fits perfectly and went up easily. Only four clamps. No wind noise or vibration on the road, even at freeway speeds.

I would post a picture but haven't figured out how to do that yet. But you can see plenty of good pictures on his roXterra website. When it was delivered I got the chance to see in person his Sherpa side panels with the Rotopax gas and water containers which are pretty cool. Might have to be my next purchase!.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Thank you @Candiman snd @Argan !

@Argan, to upload pictures from your phone, when writing here, click on the icon to the right of the chain link, or the 9nth icon from the left. That is the “image” icon and lets you include photos from your phone. These icons are just above the writing area.

·
Registered
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6spd
105 Posts
Raptor-lined the slim rack. Ran out of paint so gonna hit some spots I didn't fully cover. It's looking good. Longest part is prepping. Scuffing up every shiny aluminum part and decreasing. But I'm happy with the results. Looks good so far. Can't wait to set it on the X.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Looks great @Candiman, a bit rougher than powder coating, but it will take abrasion better, like muddy shoes up there? :)

@Argan black on white looks classy, a concealed look that looks stock.
I really like dark gray on red (like mine) but for any other color I prefer black. Even on red Black looks great!
Or maybe I prefer black on any color when looking at this picture

Let's see both of yours loaded up when you use them!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Roof rack use #127: broken wheelbarrow
  • nice fit and the Thule bars wider attachment helped too
  • 46x30 inch "Accent" rugs from Walmart/online help with protecting the rack

and fixed afterwards. Huray for another 3+ years of use (good tools are worth fixing)
The 1.5 inch wide flat bar used on all racks for U bolt mounts was the right material use for sandwiching the broken and cracked plastic of the bucket.

Roof rack use #128: 10ft rug

What was the wheelbarrow for? 10,000 lb of gravel, that's how you decorate front yards in the desert

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Loading expanded aluminum (mesh) for new racks

and 150ft of tubing

Prices keep going up on steel, aluminum and stainless steel, doubling for some heavier items.

Packed rack headed for Oceanside

Rack in use

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
New accesories for 1 inch tubing (like Slim and Lowrider racks) here powder coated steel. Next batch is 1/8 inch aluminum instead.
Price tbd, around $25, powder coating $5, shipping $5. Some length flexibility on the tab length.

Light brackets or anything brackets, attaches with 1/4 inch bolt and nut

hangs left from top bar, stands up from top bar

(same 2, attached differently)
hangs down from top bar, stands up from verticsl

·
Registered
2013 Xterra S, M-226 and M-205 differentials, winch/bumper, tire carrier, aluminum skids
4 Posts

I just installed the aluminum slim rack, with mesh.

The workmanship and finish on the rack were excellent! Installation was simple, though my fat fingers made starting the lower bolts a bit challenging. There was no problem mounting the base for Rotopax cans in the mesh at all.

It was less than three weeks between ordering and receiving, and Robert quickly responded to all of my emails.

This will solve a number of problems I have been having with water/gas can mounting, and I am no longer concerned about damaging the roof of my truck when I place stuff there. I recommend this to anyone who does a lot of camping or hauling with their X!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Thank you Plucky!
It’s great seeing the rack on different Xterras!
Really great.
In the past some roof racks took 2 months before shipping, this year some are ready in a week, and another 3-5 days for powder coating (at auto body shop, powder and car paint is all they do)

My roof cargo of the week: Gen2 rear hatch door from a 2007. Used for our ladder testing and experimenting. 13mm if you ever have to remove one, but the inner bolts both seized, yet look fine, now what? Under the headliner are 2 more bolts holding the other side of the swinging latch, those were fine.

last month cargo winner was a Nissan Sentra hood, a 100 mile transport. A lot less awkward to move than Xterra hatch door.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Off to go camping with the RoXterra low rider aluminum mesh rack. Canopy fit perfectly along with chairs, table, and firewood.
No wind noise at highway speeds even though the cargo was higher than the wet box.
Very happy with the rack!

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Awning holders for our roof racks, they fit with stock bars only, and/or Sherpa side rack
Here in raw aluminum (before being powder coated)

closeup for Sherpa mount

Fitting stock bars, same padded U bolts (extra one for awning only). U bolts will be cut 1/2" from this for a more flush look.
Slim Rack can use several (extra) U bolt mounts. Lowrider Rack can use one U bolt mount up front, with second mount being the Sherpa kind mounts (slim, need about 1/4" around the stock bars).

Fitting Sherpa, re-using the mounts holding Sherpa

Side view, 1 inch gap between Sherpa and awning bottom (here 2 inch gap)

Awning extended

Lower sitting brackets could be made based on interest (moving the holes, shortening the bracket), barely sticking over the stock bars or lower if possible. The above brackets let the Sherpa work with the awning, and the awning has to sit higher to clear Sherpa.

The 30lb awning weight is fine with 2 aluminum brackets. For 60lb awnings (they do exist, 270 degree self supported wings), steel would be used instead and 3 supports may work better.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts