Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my new lowrider rack powder coated and mounted on my 06 X. Couldn't be happier! Robert was a pleasure to do business with and they make an outstanding product. I went with the aluminum version with the mesh floor on the base of the rack. The welds are clean and the rack was light enough for me to get it all mounted up by myself. Can't recommend the roxterra lowrider rack enough 🤘

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Kyle for a great review, I use my roof rack often, and i wouldn't it trade for other options either. Gen1 people have been asking for them too.

Your X sure looks classy and clean.
If you do a lot of highway miles, the tip of your hood may catch gravel and chip your paint. I had the plastic hood protector from Nissan since day 1 on both of my Xterras, it looks great too.

(when my X was new)
View attachment 131179
PXL_20210115_163839532.jpg

Great suggestion! My old X had one but I guess I just forgot about it.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
174 Posts
I'm looking into a weatherproof case to put in my roxterra rack for added dry storage - has anyone already found something that fits exceptionally well? Thinking something like a pelican case or the like to put stuff like sleeping bags, pads and maybe the tent. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Some people used this 145L, 33x22x17 inch, it's waterproof
You get enough room on Lowrider for its 33" width, but on Slim you would be 3 inches over, so stay around 28 inches with Slim (but you can always turn it, you get 49 inches of length).

Others use Plano 30x14.25x12.75 case (should barely squeeze into the room on a Slim).
From Bass Pro Shop. I couldn't find it on their website.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
174 Posts
Some people used this 145L, 33x22x17 inch, it's waterproof
You get enough room on Lowrider for its 33" width, but on Slim you would be 3 inches over, so stay around 28 inches with Slim (but you can always turn it, you get 49 inches of length).

Others use Plano 30x14.25x12.75 case (should barely squeeze into the room on a Slim).
From Bass Pro Shop. I couldn't find it on their website.

Thanks, Robert! I grabbed one of these the other day.

Going to see if it's useful at all and if it is I'll buy a second one that I think I'll be able to put back to back - meaning one opens up on drivers side and other opens up on passenger side.

I'll update the thread with how that goes.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Shortest month, but most orders per month this year so far...... 2, almost 3 for rack orders!

Aluminum is the material of buyers' choice, it makes for easier handling, but you still have to paint it. Everything is better painted. (Aluminum still oxidizes on the surface)

Aluminum Lowrider
288 welds, weld and pause, can't have too much heat... Aluminum is like a ballerina, while steel is more like a lumberjack. Aluminum you get right the first time. Steel you weld and grind. Similar effort, different welding style (TIG vs MIG)

White welds and "stack of dimes" is how pros do it. Our pro has been welding for 30+ years (aircraft aluminum among other things). Black welds mean "nice try, but no".

Few will try, and fewer yet succeed with thin walled aluminum. Many know to stay away from it. Stainless steel and aluminum are many times niche specialties, you do that and nothing else.

You can see the scratches on the brand new aluminum, it's unavoidable (arrives to the store already that way), but it comes right off during the required sanding, or better yet sand blasting (except you don't use sand on aluminum, it would tear it up, you do media blasting with something softer like acorn shells)

Sand blasting takes the skin off, any liquid spills, scratches, etc... sand blasting pitts it up

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Many people find it surprising that you're looking at 50ft of aluminum tubing here. 15 ft just for the top alone (51 inches twice, 30-36 in between, and a step), and the bottom is the back and forth of the grid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shortest month, but most orders per month this year so far...... 2, almost 3 for rack orders!

Aluminum is the material of buyers' choice, it makes for easier handling, but you still have to paint it. Everything is better painted. (Aluminum still oxidizes on the surface)

Aluminum Lowrider
288 welds, weld and pause, can't have too much heat... Aluminum is like a ballerina, while steel is more like a lumberjack. Aluminum you get right the first time. Steel you weld and grind. Similar effort, different welding style (TIG vs MIG)

White welds and "stack of dimes" is how pros do it. Our pro has been welding for 30+ years (aircraft aluminum among other things). Black welds mean "nice try, but no".

Few will try, and fewer yet succeed with thin walled aluminum. Many know to stay away from it. Stainless steel and aluminum are many times niche specialties, you do that and nothing else.

You can see the scratches on the brand new aluminum, it's unavoidable (arrives to the store already that way), but it comes right off during the required sanding, or better yet sand blasting (except you don't use sand on aluminum, it would tear it up, you do media blasting with something softer like acorn shells)

Sand blasting takes the skin off, any liquid spills, scratches, etc... sand blasting pitts it up

View attachment 133594
How much does it weigh?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
This much in raw aluminum...18.19lb
vs 45lb in steel
Powder coating adds 1lb. Like a frosting on a cake, sparks it up...toughens it up in the oven. Even if you just paint it normal, cooking it helps (but nobody does that...only cooked when powder coated)

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
You need the right welder machine, good stuff starts at $1500 (this one is $2500). With wrong gear it’s too hard and it won’t be the same...no matter the effort.

it takes 14 hours or so per rack, the cutting, clamping, welding, waiting.
Aluminum will flex from heat..bow. Countering weld will make it bend back. Too much heat and you burn it...pit it...bow it. Like actual holes. You appreciate the good welds after you see the bad ones. And it’s not easier to do a so-so job. Both take time...

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
With aluminum you sand the pieces about to be welded. But you can’t sand all at once, there is a time limit. It becomes a delicate affair, not for the impatient. Like model plane glueing.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
174 Posts
Thanks to another member who hooked me up with some amazing brackets, I got an awning mounted alongside my lowrider rack this week. Really happy with the look!

81 - 100 of 111 Posts