Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Looks great SpacemanSpiff!
Powder coaters know to sandblast the U bolts before powder coating, but stainless is trickier to powder coat, make sure they have experience with stainless (some places don't want to do it). When trying to match color with U bolts, the rack color is 60% semigloss black textured.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I was in the market for a rack and stumbled across roXterra's on this forum. A quick discussion with Robert sealed the deal for me. I went with the aluminum lowrider rack and am more than pleased with it!

A quick before and after. (Added 285s too)

I needed the rack somewhat quickly in time for a hunting trip. I asked Robert if he could expedite the fabrication and he agreed. I sent payment on July 29th and the rack was here for pick up on August 17th! Robert maintained constant communication throughout the transaction. A+ customer service. Highly recommend Robert and any of his products!

Hopefully I'll have a picture to post of me hauling a nice set of elk antlers on the rack from Wyoming all the way back to Mississippi!

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looking good in Mississippi! Nice and green around, and the powder coated U bolts match your X. Thank you for your review Nathan 😀

Let's see your rack when it’s loaded on the trip! And with antlers too.

Zip ties have their uses up there. 8” or 20” sometimes. I carry them and ropes on the Molle.

Pre-knotted rope, cuts down tying by half count.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Triple decker..... no 4-decker experience yet, but with the extra width of Thule bars, I would be ok with that load, especially if all are aluminum. Need to watch overhead limit bars then!

Here at the top is aluminum rack and under it steel. Steel has a darker layer on top of it from factory, it comes off during sandblasting/sanding before being painted.
Both materials would be bad news if not painted, they get really hot in the sun, and even raw aluminum develops oxidation discoloration, raw needs to be painted, no matter how it's painted, it needs that layer of protection.

2 aluminum racks on top of each other, both in same black semi-gloss powder coat, but the top looks different due to the sun angle

Permanently attached Thule holders (left),
vs the removable Thule holders with a hole on the bottom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got back from a ~3,600 mile elk hunting trip. Somehow I managed to fit all my gear without using the rack for the commute out there and back, but the rack came in EXTREMELY useful while actually out hunting/camping. I neglected to get many action shots of the rack doing its work, but here's a couple with ~75lbs of double bagged elk meat (meat itself in game bags, then wrapped in contractor bags to keep dust off). The first meat haul had 2 elk hindquarters on the rack for a total of ~120lbs.

The rack was used a lot for throwing garbage bags, dirty gear, etc. on top to try and keep the interior cleaner.

Love the rack and others do as well! I've lost count of how many compliments and questions I've gotten about it. A few more shots from the trip.

Leave it to me to get stuck in drought/red flag fire conditions! Learned my lesson...If you see a wet spot out there during a drought, avoid at all costs!!

Thanks again to roxterra for such an awesome product!

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
178 Posts
I’m thinking one of those aluminum dudes on the triple decker might be mine!!! Super excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X
18 Posts
Question about the hitch rack and all that weight you carried on it. Were you hitting the bump stops or do you use airbags on the rear? I used a hitch rack for camping a few weeks ago and was bottoming out on the bump stops a lot! Almost made it scary to drive it. Had one cooler and 10gal of water back there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question about the hitch rack and all that weight you carried on it. Were you hitting the bump stops or do you use airbags on the rear? I used a hitch rack for camping a few weeks ago and was bottoming out on the bump stops a lot! Almost made it scary to drive it. Had one cooler and 10gal of water back there.
I hit bump stops a few times while on the washboard roads but it wasn't an issue. I rarely could travel over 20mph due to road conditions. On the highway, the hitch rack was fine. Had ~250lbs or so on it. My stock leaf springs are still in decent shape, that may have something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That's a great photo with snow, where is that exactly?

Thanks for the review Nathan, I am happy to see the rack used in different ways, but it looks great empty too : )
Awesome that it turned heads!
Were the comments from other Xterra people or non-Xterra ones too?

Just got back from a ~3,600 mile elk hunting trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a great photo with snow, where is that exactly?

Thanks for the review Nathan, I am happy to see the rack used in different ways, but it looks great empty too : )
Awesome that it turned heads!
Were the comments from other Xterra people or non-Xterra ones too?

Snow pic is Wyoming. Fortunately we didn't get the foot of snow another part of the state got! Comments were from other SUVs and trucks, didn't talk to any Xterra owners. Everyone just loved how it sits flush with the expanded metal bottom. There is a definitely a larger market out there to tap into with this design! Glad to see the nationwide distribution of the racks. Keep it up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little late to this party, but happy to be among the attendance now.

I have to say that RoXterra's roof rack is easily the best out there. I originally had a "universal" one and lemme tell you how much of a lie that sales term is; I spent a few hours retrofitting it to work with my Second Gen X. Even after it was all said and done it never really got the job done...That's when I ran into RoXterra here. Found him on eBay and bought his stock X-pro's roof lights. Chatted in email and then was introduced to a man that had figured it out. I saw the rack and wanted it instantly. I know I took a bit to commit due to some life events, but when I went full send...the process was quick, professional, and totally worth it. This is a rack that exceeds anything stock by Nissan and anything else out there on the market. I say this not just for XTERRAs but I've never seen a more uselful rack for the roof of any SUV.

Aside from its spot on usefulness and adaptive layout, I do have to say that the design and look is a perfect addition to my X's theme; I'm a sucker for black and neutral silver. I tend to call her my ViXTERRA...a true silver vixen in my life.

I sadly didn't think to take a picture the few times I've hauled something but damn did it do it's job. I'm moving in January and I'll be sure to see this rack pushed to it's true potential and take better images!

A big thanks and respect to you Roxterra!

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Thank you Kyle for a great review, I use my roof rack often, and i wouldn't it trade for other options either. Gen1 people have been asking for them too.

Your X sure looks classy and clean.
If you do a lot of highway miles, the tip of your hood may catch gravel and chip your paint. I had the plastic hood protector from Nissan since day 1 on both of my Xterras, it looks great too.

(when my X was new)

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
178 Posts
I'll follow up here too - I received my roXterra rack earlier this week and let me tell you that it is awesome! To start, the packaging was bulletproof. The whole thing bolted up easily even when I had to re-install it after Robert informed me that I forgot the rubber dampening strips - whoops! Finally, it looks awesome and compliments the truck and my new gobi ladder so well. I highly recommend to anyone looking for a fantastic rack from a really awesome fabricator.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just send message through your web site!!! Looking forward to hopefully ordering ASAP.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thank you @BKCTX for your review! Nice clean Xterra in the pictures.
I enjoy seeing different Xterras with our racks.

For anyone else looking for a roof rack, that would make it #20 for this year, a great milestone!
Still a few weeks left in the year 😀

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Rack pictures all in one... too much red below, anyone with roXterra roofrack to post pictures you haven't yet?

I didn't get to all of your pictures you already have posted in this post or emailed, I will....
It's really 2 sets of pictures I want to combine into a single 1, A) different Xterras/owners and B) different cargo types

61 - 80 of 121 Posts