Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Finally clouds in the desert after a week of heat waves up to 107 degrees...
combining my recent projects with amber lights, Baja spots.... and the Lowrider roofrack
It's nice how the Bajas fit in between the ambers without overlapping... like I planned it. Big light from 2x3 inch lights.
View attachment 127215
Love your X, and love Tucson sunsets!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
July and August during the monsoon season can have great skies... sunsets... bad weather is good weather for photos.
Sometimes it's right all over you, and sometimes it makes photos far away. Sometimes it's too close for comfort

·
Registered
171 Posts
July and August during the monsoon season can have great skies... sunsets... bad weather is good weather for photos.
Sometimes it's right all over you, and sometimes it makes photos far away. Sometimes it's too close for comfort
View attachment 127218
WOW, simple amazing picture. Can't wait to check out monsoon season!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
When monsoon is about to hit... drive from Ajo Rd towards Desert Museum in the rain. It's a paved winding 1 lane road each way and monsoon forms temporary 8ft wide rivers flowing across the road... it's a fun ride for the family. Also by White Dove of the desert (San Javier Catholic church) area, it floods... nice route afterwards.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thule bars and other Thule stuff is on sale now at EMS.com for 20% off.... prices already show the (original and also) discount price, if not, call them.
Discount codes don't work on Thule on EMS, this is one of the 4 times a year of Thule sale at EMS. And probably elsewhere, but not many places sell the retired line of SquareBar.... new one is LoadBar (with slits)....

I ordered 78 inch bars... the plain bars are getting hard to find. I will be cutting them to 65 inches like my old retired ones.
I ordered "INNO Square Base Bars for Roof or Truck Bed Rack Systems" on Amazon, got them, hated them, returned them. Cheap soft ends, cheap finish, not a good experience.

Thule is Thule. My 10 year old ends rusted slightly, I should have just cut off an inch off each end and kept them. They are hard to find now, 65" no longer made, 60" is longest, now ends have slits for attachments which may be helpful.

Some of you showed interest in the Thule mounts for the roof rack, so this info may help....

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thule bars 78".... $87 on sale from $110 at EMS, only for another 5 days or less

hard to find... discontinued... cut it to whatever size you want.
Even 60 inch Thule bars cost $110 or $120 normally

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If you're after the aluminum roof rack, current turnaround is about 2 weeks. Metal possibly too.

Plain U bolts (they don't stick up this much)

or powder coated U bolts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Aluminum Lowrider weighed in at 18.19 lb today.
I thought it was over 20lb before, but I didn't use this scale, and I trust this scale. What I did before was use a bathroom scale with me and with and without the rack, and since then I have seen some discrepancies in its numbers for different items....... but not with this gravity scale!

Following pictures with 4 bags of 40-50lb soil each:
I am not just the owner, I am also a customer : )
I don't put up 150lb of stinky dirt on the roof just for the show

The white strip is an LED strip... work in progress. RGB colors with a controller, remote control, in the mail (this was step one, step 2 supplies are in the mail)

yes all that could go inside, maybe spill a little, but what if your inside was like this already:

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Subtle lights up top

Not so subtle at night:
The white lights, when turned on, up top feel like side lights or reading lights.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Transporting 2 steel racks to a powder coater over an hour away..... so a 4 hour deal eventually. Striking a balance between cost and time to complete.
Ideally I would go on a cross country trip just delivering all in person! I think 3 boxed ones would still be safe on top of each other. So a custom trailer with another 5-7? : )

Mine is steel, and I would still pick steel, but when you load/unload them several times a day, you start appreciating the 18lb Aluminum version!

Steel version is 43.67 lb vs 18.19 lb for Aluminum above.
Why steel? I like the curved edges of the tubing 😀 and I like the imaginary flex of steel when I pull my weight up when standing on the tire.
And mine is copy #1 and is about 65 lb and I definitely don't want to be ever taking that off. (Lesson learned on what too much material feels like)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shout out to Robert at Roxterra for such a great product. Love that I could support small business owners and his fledgling business. Those looking for a drop in style rack. I highly recommend this.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thank you very much Brandon! Very nice scenery in the last photo!
I really appreciate the feedback. No matter how excited I get about my 100 roof rack uses, it's the buyer's feedback that matters even more.

You mounted an ARB awning with your own U bolts, I hope to address rack mountable ARB awning brackets sometime, as well as something for Trax boards, for those who want them angled within or outside the basket. Or some push-compress letgo-expand go-through-the-mesh clamp for easy on-off Trax boards.

I had the idea of putting Trax boards above the stock roof basket (wet box), for those rooftop-loaded users. It would flip up so then the wet box can flip up.... someday maybe.

From another what else can I carry on the roof episode..... Xterra stock bumper wrapped up. Worked fine at 80mph, and the Thule bars helped with more anchor points and contact area. The 20 lb lightness of the load was a concern here.

A rare day with Arizona clouds, it's just blue skies during the month of June, but monsoons are coming in late July.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sunset from mid May

Aluminum racks are still same price as steel, and at 19lb are less than half the 44lb weight of steel.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts