1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RoxTerra Steel/Aluminum Drop in Roof Rack with vibration dampening
$350 for base model
+$60 for mesh aluminum -- attach hooks to the 100 holes
+$120 for powder coating - Semi gloss black, King Sport grey, other colors possible for extra $
Other customization are possible if desired, like a permanent Hi Lift holder which sits on top of the mesh, etc
More info on the rack, and coming soon rear bumper and bumper with swing arms: http://roxterra.com

Features
  • drop in aluminum roofrack for Xterra 2005-2015 made from 1" aluminum tubing
  • 51 inches long, maximizing the available roof space
  • can carry over 100lb
  • the cushioned attachment to the roofrack is such that the mesh on top will not rattle off road, with or without a load
Installation
  • comes with all mounting hardware to your stock Xterra round bars
  • uses rubber padded attachment from stock bars, no drilling required
  • attach the rack to Xterra round bars, and tighten 8 nuts
  • vibration dampened roof attachment
  • U bolts with padding included, all you need is 9/16 socket to tighten the bolts
Usage
  • 6 heavy duty round luggage mounting spots (2 front, 2 back, 1 on each side) - 1 inch holes
  • enough room between roof and bars to run a securing rope without rubbing the roof
Delivery
  • ready within 3-4 days
  • free pickup in Tucson, Arizona
  • $30 once a week delivery to Phoenix
  • about $80 to ship
Following are the pictures of the steel model
Also showing here (in black color) are the Thule cross bars and Thule bike holders, attached because of the custom brackets (1) welded to the top of the rack
2) is a custom "wing" which allows attaching antenna with a magnet base to the roofrack , allowing for garage clearance.

Roof rack with mesh top - use any of the 100 or so holes for tying

Raw steel pictures before powder coating - expanded metal mesh in first picture, and bars without that mesh in the following 2

Roof rack without mesh top

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nicely designed and well thought out

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does this still allow full access to the roof box/handle. I like it. Also those welded brackets is that an additional option or part of the rack price?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
That's a nice price for aluminum. Also, wouldn't you get a better ground plane with that antenna between the wet box and the rack :)

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, full access to the box and handle. there is a 4" gap from the stock basket or 2 1/4" gap from that basket's handle in the pictures. And behind the basket I have room for my roof standing 12" antenna -- meaning that I could still move the basket backwards about 2", if I wanted more room by the basket instead.
You could mount the basket a little further/closer to front if desired, since the mounting spots to the stock roofrack can be moved.

If you mean the top brackets holding the Thule bars, they would be an additional option for $20. Mine has a threaded 1/4" hole in the bracket, socket-head bolt holding it. At some point this could become a bolt-on option if there is enough interest. My bracket was custom welded from 2 right angled channels (channel=2 sides of a tube shape), but it looks like it was factory made as one piece.

Roofrack too short? want to carry 12ft pipes on the roof?
The blue and green bars could be added, round of square. The dashed lines could be your own temp ideas based on your front bumper.
The rack is now 51" back to front. The blue addition would add 30", the dotted line is another 80".... maybe the dotted 80" could slide out from inside the tubes of the existing 81"?
It just takes one prepaid order to make that possible. Extra cost for that of course.

With the blue 30", that make 81" and would support the whole bed length, most of drywall... The basket would still open no problem. The 36" part could be a light mounting bar, square or round...

Does this still allow full access to the roof box/handle. I like it. Also those welded brackets is that an additional option or part of the rack price?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cell signal boosting antenna doesn't get used often and it's nice being out of the way of my roof activities, flying highway objects... It's mostly used while the car is stationary.

That's a nice price for aluminum. Also, wouldn't you get a better ground plane with that antenna between the wet box and the rack :)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
My cell signal boosting antenna doesn't get used often and it's nice being out of the way of my roof activities, flying highway objects... It's mostly used while the car is stationary.
Ahh, rock on. That antenna looks a lot like the first antenna I had on my ham radio.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much, I have many ideas big and small, top, sides, back and maybe front someday. The bumpers design is already off the ground, with another model with dual swing gates coming in a couple of weeks, carrying a tire or not, maybe a ladder in addition/instead of tire, along with Hi Lift, gas cans...

I had a 6" tall Yakima roof basket on my stock setup, but even with just 1" lift it wouldn't clear the garage anymore. There was so much wasted space below the stock cross bars it was sitting on, then the mounting clamps on top of those bars...

And while carrying Hi Lift on the back bumper can be best sometimes, maybe out of sight on the roof can be sometimes or always better? And while Hi Lift can be mounted directly to stock bars, just wait until you hit your head on it once.... twice.... because it's sticking out away from the car

Nicely designed and well thought out

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowrider model (sits on top of stock bars with rubber padding) - Steel rack powder coated in King Sport Grey
The U bolts can also be powder coated to match the rack, here they are just original silver.
This is a very nice grey with smooth glossy texture.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lowrider model - one can hold on to the square tubing on the way up to stand on a wheel

Here the optional Thule bar mounts allow for Thule crossbars to sit above the rack

2.5 gallon fuel cans could be mounted in the back corners

3 1/2 inch height from the top of lower level to the top of upper level. (Could be taller with less than the above 1" of roof clearance.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Slim model - unlike Lowrider, the U bolts mount sideways, not on top of the stock round bars
- only the area between the stock roof bars is used, leaving your existing mounts alone - like shovels/axes/Hi Lifts
This is an aluminum model and weighs just under 20 lb with mesh

Here it is powder coated in black

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cost adds up with mesh cargo holder and powder coating, but
1) you could get creative with 1 inch belt-sized fabric and make your own "webbing", and
2) especially for aluminum, sand it by hand, prime it and spray can it, and it should be good to go
and
3) you could pick it up in Tucson or Phoenix, maybe also get the almost done rear bumper, or the coming soon curved 42" rooftop light holder. We have 70 degree sunny days now...

There is nothing like powder coating, but have you seen the hammered look spray cans?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A mesh-only bottom is something we are working on, one that would need very little support under it, yet be strong enough for heavy loads. The grid while cool looking gets covered up with mesh anyway.
That could save $100
Partial mesh you put on yourself? We just finished a 72 hour adhesion of VHB 3M tape to attach aluminum mesh to a steel tubing bottom. Time will tell, but that's what the tape is designed to do, join metals that are powder coated
VBH link - https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/vhb-tapes-us/

in the meantime...
With aluminum, you could sand, prime and spray can paint it yourself for just the cost of the primer, paint..... $20 ?
Even when it doesn't stick as well as powder coating, there is no rust concern anyway
- saves $100

Pick it up in Tucson as part of "Honey let's see the southwest which you always wanted to see" trip?
- saves $100

"Po boy December mesh discount"
- saves $40 on the mesh

Beautiful! I love the slim model with the mesh floor. But, with it being close to $700 (after $100 shipping), it's a little too pricey for me.

·
TNX Veteran
3,778 Posts
So basically a DepHep but aluminum...? It is pretty awesome. If I didn't have my DepHep already I would totally be in for this. I don't carry much in my basket, and when I do it is not hundreds of pounds. I think this would satisfy 100% of what I have carried up there so far. The light weight and rust-resistance would be much preferred.

I'm trying to think of a use case for the blue & green to the front of the roof. The green could obviously have lights attached to it. Maybe you angle the blue part down to follow the wetbox lines and have low-profile roof light mount. But what could you put across/carry on the blue lines? Of course I would love to still be able to open the wetbox, but have that be usable roof rack space as well. Maybe that is not possible though. IDK what I might carry in that spot realistically.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts