Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stock Bumper Version (Sold Out!!)
Stock bumper brackets shown with included shims and hardware...

Aftermarket Bumper Version (Sold Out!!)
Aftermarket bumper brackets shown with included hardware, no shims required...

(additional comparison photos below...)

Cost for either version, stock bumper or aftermarket bumper, is NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE/set delivered which includes two 1/2" thick front recovery brackets, all new grade 10.9 mounting hardware, and shipping (US).

The stock bumper version will consist of 1 left & 1 right bracket, whereas the aftermarket bumper version utilizes 2 typical pieces. The stock bumper version will also include four 1/4" thick shims (two per side) to use between the frame and bracket to achieve a little more clearance on the factory bumper lower fascia; the mounting bolts provided will be of sufficient length to accommodate this additional 1/2" thickness, but remove one of the shims for each accessory of comparable thickness, if applicable; for example, in my pictures, I have a 1/4” thick lower winch mount bracket as well as a 3/16” thick radiator skid, so no shims would be required here. Shims will not be provided with the aftermarket bumper version since you shouldn’t need them, but I’ll send a set along upon request.

If you’d like to place an order, please shoot me a PM for ordering instructions. I accept payment by PayPal, credit card, check, or cash.

More info/original discussion here.

---

Stock bumper version. CAD designed for a forward projection no further than the factory hook while the shackle pin hole sits a little closer to the bottom of the bumper due to material limitations. Only the tiniest bit of trimming was done to the lower bumper fascia in the pictured photos, but a little more trimming would result in an even more desirable clearance.

Also have a variant intended primarily for use with an aftermarket bumper without a good recovery anchor point, ala ARB, Calmini, etc. Leading edge clearance is about comparable to a Shrock radiator skid.

A few parting shots. Don't mind the shot directly into the late day sun... :geek:

(Pictured above: Aftermarket bumper variant on left, stock bumper version on right.)

Of note, 1/4" thick angle was used for mock-up prototyping only; production pieces will be manufactured from 1/2" thick steel. Front recovery brackets will include a pair of spacer plates to achieve the clearance shown and allow for adjustment for an aftermarket radiator skid; Shrock fitment is confirmed, NXRocks/Hefty ought to be comparable.

---

Comparison of the stock bumper version to the factory hook (shown on 1/2" thick shim)…

Footprint width has been reduced to match the stock hook...

Overall length is just a touch longer. Not that you'd typically use this version with the ARB bumper, but the aftermarket bracket version is the same length and these are designed to match the constraints of the ARB boxed bracket.

Comparison of the Aftermarket Bumper version to the factory hook (no shim)….

Overall length matches the stock hook...

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Special thanks to Mr. Bills for putting together & tracking the following pre-order list for the intro offer. Added a couple updates below.

* * * INTRO OFF HAS BEEN FULFILLED/EXPIRED. * * *

Interest List (fulfilled as of 6/23/15):

Stock Front Bumper Version:
J Sexton - Shipped!!
Mr. Bills - Shipped!!
smcpartland - Shipped!!
DaMacBrain - Shipped!!
Zennmaster - Shipped!!
Polar Bear - Shipped!!

Aftermarket Bumper Version:
Five4321 - Shipped!!
Bassman - Shipped!!
CALIROCKS - Shipped!!
WreckDiver1321 - Shipped!!
* * * INTRO OFF HAS BEEN FULFILLED/EXPIRED. * * *

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
I'm glad this Member Product Sale is up and running.

It is a terrific option for those who want two front recovery points, don't want or need an aftermarket bumper or winch mount with welded on shackle tabs, and who don't want to settle for the factory tow hooks.

·
Premium Member
9,954 Posts
I'm glad this Member Product Sale is up and running.

It is a terrific option for those who want two front recovery points, don't want or need an aftermarket bumper or winch mount with welded on shackle tabs, and who don't want to settle for the factory tow hooks.

X2!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, working on adjusting the footprint on the aftermarket version to match the ARB boxed bracket (weird...). Sure, add $20 for powder coating (blast, primer, black top coat) but it will push your shipping out till mid-June for my next powder coating run. PM on the way...

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys, I was able to reduce the lot size on my order and get these going early. :cheers: That is only way I'm gonna be able to get these out in time for goneMoab anyway...

Beef!! :)

Still plenty of work to do (obviously...), but look for the first few sets to be going out in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take a look at the h2 h3 recovery brackets from GM. They are about $150 come in blk or crome. The metal is normalized so you can weld them in place instead of bolts.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any update on the first shipment?
First set, a stock version, went out to Mr. Bills yesterday. He was needing them for goneMoab. The rest will be a couple weeks as I am sidelined prepping other materials (winch mounts, front receivers) for fab the next week and a half.

>>>>> Anybody else (existing orders, I mean...) needing their set before goneMoab??

Take a look at the h2 h3 recovery brackets from GM. They are about $150 come in blk or crome. The metal is normalized so you can weld them in place instead of bolts.
Ummm, these are cheaper, made for the Xterra, and bolt-on with included hardware... :confused:

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished the first couple sets of stock bumper brackets...

Footprint width has been reduced to match the stock hook...

Overall length is just a touch longer. Not that you'd typically use this version with the ARB bumper, but the aftermarket bracket version is the same length and these are designed to match the constraints of the ARB boxed bracket.

Final, complete set of stock bumper brackets shown with included shims and hardware...

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
Front Recovery Brackets Received and Installed!!!

I received my RockyMtnX front recovery brackets and shackles on Friday, May 8 and installed them Saturday May 9. As far as I know, this is the first set installed on a customer vehicle, and just in time for goneMOAB.

Installation is straightforward; clearly written installation instructions are included. Just prep for paint, primer and paint the brackets and shims, and when the paint is dry unbolt the passenger side factory tow hook, remove the corresponding bolts on the driver side (if any), and bolt on the new recovery brackets with the supplied hardware. The only other thing you need to do is trim the plastic bumper fascia slightly to provide clearance for the shackles. The area that requires trimming will be obvious when you put the shackle in place.

PHOTOS:

As received from USPS, ready for sanding and painting (note the factory tow hook to show scale):

After sanding off the mill scale and adding a coat of primer:

Painted and ready to install:

Installed:

(Note: the driver's side is finished, with bumper fascia trimmed and rubber washers installed on shackle to prevent rattling. The passenger side still needs fascia trimming and the rubber ballcock shank washers for the shackle.)

This is a well made product and worth every penny. RockyMtnX has come through for us again! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.