Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like the idea, I have been thinking of ideas for not having to drill holes.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
I got one of the prototypes. Unfortunately, it was too big to fit in the house hold oven in the garage for powder coating / heat treat high temp paint for exhaust manifolds and junk (I did that one time in the oven inside in college, BIG MISTAKE) , and slightly too small to fit in the grooves where the rack would sit ( no way it would just hang in there on a piece of wire or string like you should to do powder coat, but don't let that discourage you if you want to get an oven for your garage, this was a $30 oven from an estate sale, probably not the biggest out there).. No big dealio, I took it to my powder coat buddy who does my big stuff with a drive in size oven. $20 later, I have it. Can't wait to hang it (was gone during 4th of July and just got home so haven't had a chance yet, just picked it up, never know when he's going to heat up the big oven anyway). I plan on using 2 sided Gorilla tape for the bottom mounts. It's what I have my winch box held into my bumper with (for 6 months that's been some what exposed to elements and it's still solid) and my fuse box inside my driver side wheel well (and it's still solid). So, I'm feeling confident about it as long as I properly clean and prep the surface (which I will) for a no drill solution. Will post results after I've had a chance to hang it, put some weight on it, and test it and let everyone else know, but I feel solid about it since the top holds the weight and the bottom is just to keep it from swinging. I plan on using mine to hang my on board air hose with some 8" velcro cable straps, tire deflator (w/ same straps), and a few other odds & ends with a few pouches I was able to dig up out of my old USMC stuff (that have actual molle straps: probably trail tire plug kits, valve stems, trail tire stuff, etc etc). I always said I wouldn't do a molle panel, but after seeing how handy @AlbatrossCafe had his tire stuff, I decided I would. I had seriously considered making up a file and sending this to my laser / water jet cutter who cut 5 of the battery tie downs I designed at a great price ($20 / per) but after the time of doing designing the file and all that jazz with so much other crap I have to do, gotta say good on @roXterra for designing, making them, and not extorting our small community. thumbs up emoji x inifnity.

After actually having my hands on it for more than 5 minutes, I have to say, everything about it seems pretty good quality.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I made a Molle thread in another forum here and it got moved back here to this area, and it has taken off....
so let's keep the new comments there, and have this one for history only ok?

Here is the new thread:

101 - 105 of 105 Posts