Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Silver metallic $6 spray can paint job, per Molle, both Molles.

It was supposed to be just one, but painting is addicting.
Would you clear coat yours after painting it?

Small holes hold 1/4" machine thread hooks and nuts.
The slits are good for 23" velcro strips (across 8" separation) -- allowing for tie down of cargo.

I like the bare metal look but in the sun the Molles got smoking hot, plus it's just a matter of time before raw steel discolors and rusts.
This should help with temperature control too, and these 106+ degree days are the ones to test on.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Pics and details would be great.... like spray gun? clear coated? 220 grit sanded beforehand?

Got mine in the mail today. I need to install the hooks, so after that, prepping and painting this weekend I’ll post some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Well then...
542 Posts
Pics and details would be great.... like spray gun? clear coated? 220 grit sanded beforehand?
Thinking more of a spraying down with a degreaser, quick sanding finished off by a rattle can prime and paint. I’m also wondering if raptor liner would be a good option, except that would be very, very permanent.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I sanded (poorly) my 2 Molles, then spray painted metallic silver, then clear coated after 48 hours (was a long time without Molles, I got used to the new standard places for my gear).
I only used 220 grit sandpaper, but should have started with 60-80, then gotten finer. But then again the rough look adds character?

Definitely better painted, doesn't get as hot as with raw steel hanging in the window.

My current Molle use, the busy driver side,
  • starting with 20" zip ties velcro strapped in 2 spots
  • bag of small ropes, fused 12V switch cord with loose end under it
  • small bag under it, still TBD use
  • screwdrivers, box cutters, double sided red tape usable on almost any serface, inside or outside (has been holding my wind deflectors for the past 5 years)
  • still TBD bag now holding my hanging scales which should be on a narrow U bolt for quick use
  • small carabiners
  • water bottle draining of drops after use... 3/4" velcro strap keeps the bag snug, because the bag is meant for wider bottles

Passenger side, keeping front (left here) clear to keep driver vision not blocked.
  • tape measure with 1x2 inch car wrap under it to avoid metal on metal scraping
  • ropes wide enough to attach roof cargo across and back (about 12ft each).... held by another 23" 3/4" velcro strap
  • 1/4" threaded hook holds the rope with a nut on each side, wrench tighten for a strong hold
  • bag of Molle stuff, extra hooks, velcro straps... also "current small things used", or "don't forget about these loose things that don't belong with anything else"
  • tbd (not showing) small First Aid kit, except not the usual huge 100 piece set, but a bandaids only with something else, but mostly bandaids -- attached to the Molle on top, but may hang under the Molle and be attached on the plastic if out of room, trying to keep the top clear for driver vision.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
New Molles:

$75 shipped
includes 4.2lb Molle from 14gauge steel, may have some warping because of the Plasma cutting
includes 2 L brackets, 2 holes each, self tapping steel screws (put your own metal on the other side of plastic), 2 bolts + washers + nuts
(includes shipping, unless you're somewhere outside of 48, then a little more)

Issues:
1)
holding the bolts on the other side of Molle is not the easiest thin, I am considering nutserts pressed into the L bracket, so that your bolt goes through Molle and then on the L bracket are 2 nutserts into which your bolt goes into (no need for nuts or holding them).
I need enough interest for that first, it's a nice have if you anticipate off-on activities. It was fine for me the first time, but when I took it off, painted it, organized it and then tried to put it on (with many Molle bags attached), I sure wished for nutserts!!
Nutserts=rivets=rivnuts... like how the roof bolts screw into the roof with nutserts
Are the nutserts worth it to you for $5 extra?
2)
extra L brackets..... still working on a design
I drive on highway with open windows and 80mph and off road and nothing rattles but I see vibration on the passenger side (can't see driver's side but that side is heavier and has a lot more airflow blocked. The only thing that rattled was loose aluminum carabiners without anything on them just hitting the Molle in the airflow/road vibrations (on passenger side).

Ideally I would add 2 L brackets on each side (total of 6).
Everyone wants lighter Molle...... this is 4lb..... 11gauge would be double the weight at 9lb.... but lighter means not as hard. And lighter should be secured more if you're concerned.

Delivery timing:
Usually within a week but they come in batches, so earlier pay gets the Molle sooner.

Customization:
possible, if you want it to say something else (non offensive) instead of roXterra, or you want a graphic in part of the Molle instead....... bigger change, bigger cost

Powder coating:
Only if there are 5 at a time, same color..... In between the 3 powder coaters, Molles are the hardest to juggle with price/color/time-to-complete
Or spray it yourself, the hardest is waiting for paint to dry!! And overspray, watch out for overspray, start before and end after the object, lighter coats, less is more.

I think I answered all questions for the past week.... here and in private conversations? Let me know if you're waiting for my answer...

·
on line
128 Posts
I like the nutsert idea since I would want to be able to install/remove easily. Looks good though, I'll probably want one for the drivers side once the R&D is complete. And by the way, thanks for offering great products for the X!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Looking good!
No runs, no drips really? I get runs with Rust-oleum.
I hang it by a hook or 2, or a cord and get to both sides, then second coat few minutes later.

·
Well then...
542 Posts
Looking good!
No runs, no drips really? I get runs with Rust-oleum.
I hang it by a hook or 2, or a cord and get to both sides, then second coat few minutes later.
No runs here. I was thinking it would stick but it didn’t. I just waited 30 minutes, flipped it added 2-3 medium coats let it sit for another 20 minutes then moved it to the garage to fry overnight.

A couple of spots could have used better sanding but overall 7/10 I would say. Not bad for a $5.98 and hour and a half paint job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my prototype a week ago. First piece of feedback, don't ship FedEx. They held on to the package for 6 days at a distribution center in California. Why you ask? Because they're FedEx. I experience nothing but problems with every FedEx delivery.

The molle is great for the first prototype. I will be sandblasting it with 220 aluminum oxide, and spraying with a HVLP. Will either do an air cure matte black, or a heat cure olive drab. Would prefer the olive drab, but the oven in the garage isn't big enough to heat cure, it's mainly for gun parts. Need to see if I can come up with a different oven. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thank you Citron, yours was ground Zero, the very first.

I like my 2 a lot, had them for 2 weeks, painted them because raw steel gets super hot in the sun, I have 6 bags, 2 hooks for ropes, 6 velcro straps for holding the contents snug, zip ties and bandaids and scissors at very convenient spots, tying ropes snug and handy...

I will have more Molles to sell soon, I am waiting for a little more interest, there have been 6 almost ready buyers, only 1 wants nutserts for the L brackets...others will too, they just don’t know it yet.

I ordered rubber holders for round handles (they may need custom attachments, aka zip ties) for my scale and tire gauge, air hose may need a plastic hook on plastic trim attachment because my Molle real estate is getting crowded. The air hose doesn’t get used enough to be in the passenger side prime access Molle spot area (my driver side has a cabinet rising tall)

What does Molle stand for?
MOdular
Lightweight
Load-carrying
Equipment

It’s one of several acronyms for similar purposed standards in the military, with specs and compatibilities, and purpose filled pouches.

We just want quick access to useful tools, especially when something goes wrong. And then tools lead to need for bandaids. And a mini garbage pouch.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I have 3-6 ready to go by Monday.
$75 shipped, send me a personal message for payment details.
There will be extra holes, 2 per side, to allow 2 more L brackets to hold on each side.

You get 6 L brackets, bolt/washer/locking nut for each of the L brackets (6) each with 2 holes, so 12 bolts/washers/nuts

If you want a nutsert (rivet,rivnut) -- which is a bolt held in place permanently, so that you just use a bolt/washer without having to fiddle with a nut behind the molle, it's $5 more. That's a nutsert in each of the L brackets (2 per L bracket).

No changes to the Molle (other than the extra holes, not yet showing)
Raw steel (the following one is painted with $5 Rust-Oleum spray can).

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Right side L brackets...new
This is showing approximate location. New slit holes will allow mounting, and near big holes were shrunk to offer more structural strength there.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
784 Posts
Ordered.

Thank you for offering this product, Robert.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thank you for your confidence CAchief! And for all the other buyers already.
It's a few steps forward, a few steps back with anything new, it takes just 1 weak link to break the chain, delay, make me think about quitting 😀

It was a lot harder with the roof racks, but when the sold count reached 10, it's a great feeling.
Only half way to 10 with the Molles so far, maybe the recent extra bracket support (and soon coming pictures) will help. I know I will appreciate the nutserts, I wanted to take the Molles off and on to re-organize.

Some Xterras don't have a top hook, the key to holding a Molle, but the ceiling hook mount (threads to hold it) are there on all Xterras, can someone comment on how they installed a hook? (or all 4) -- There are YouTube videos on how to locate the spot to cut without having to drop the headliner (the mounts are just above the headliner).
After cutting, the plastic housing will make it look stock...

I have 5 (used) hooks for sale at $8 each if someone wants them (assumes shipping with a Molle) -- Xterras have 4, one by each window and 2 by the back window. You get the Hook, bolt, and plastic housing in the picture

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Attaching the Molle:
  • first hang the Molle and mark where you want the holes for the 2 (bottom) + 2 (right) + 2 (left) L brackets to be
  • drill the holes through your plastic trim
  • pre-drill (small holes) the 1x1.5" metal pieces, place on the other side of plastic
  • screw in (Phillips) all self tapping screws (bottom photo) -- at this point the L brackets will be standing up
  • attach Molle, screw in (Phillips) bolts through the nutserts
1) Nutserts
Nutsert in place showing. For half the price, the nutserts could be aluminum and color match, but they wouldn't last as long, spin or break down the road. Ever dealt with a spinning nutsert? These nutserts in the picture are carbon steel... durable
As far as me enlarging each of the 12 holes (for 6 L brackets).... currently without a vise.... we will see how long I can keep that up.

The nutserts go into 2 holes on each L bracket. First the bolt goes through the Molle hole, then into the nutsert.
The black tip tool is used to squish the nutserts into the shape shown.

Nutsert before and after

2) L bracket attachment
(the bottom L bracket is just used to elevate the top one for the picture)
2 side by side self drilling screws on the left. You will have to drill your plastic, and on the other side hold the 1x1.5 inch metal piece (pre-drilled by you) to anchor the Molle. You don't want to attach to just plastic, it won't last, you need these anchors.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Molle version 1.1 (new version as of yesterday) -- now has mounting holes on the sides. 3 slits and one hole.
Top corners have been trimmed by 1/4" to make the fit better without scratching plastic.

6 L brackets installed. Nutserts in all outer holes.
side L brackets are at near 45 degrees except for the bottom right one in this picture
bottom L brackets are at normal (90 degrees)

To anchor, drill through plastic with 1/8" bit, at the marked spots (below)
All holes are 1/2" from the edge. "Along" means you follow the trim line (1/2" away).

Drill also so that you mark the metal tab you hold behind the plastic. Some spots behind the plastic have thin support fins, so marks on the metal will let you know the holes can match and plastic be properly sandwiched.

Take the tab out, pre-drill with 1/16 bit, enlarge with 1/8 bit, drive self tapping screw as well while it's not mounted yet, it will make the installation a lot easier.
3 of the L brackets are bent at about 45 degrees (once you put pliers on the L bracket, it will bend).

note: this is on the passenger side
On the driver side, the holes are a mirror image of this (same Molle)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts