Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
How cold was it and did you apply pressure for 20 seconds, and let it cure for 24 hours before putting a load on it?
I have used 0.5 x 1 inch strips above the shifter (below climate controls), sometimes longer and they have lasted.
Tonight I put a test strip where the Molle would touch, and after a day I will see how strong it holds there.
If 1 and 2 are used (hook and bolt), 3 and 4 could be 3M tape, have 2 inches of velcro maybe (better glue from 3M tape than from the sticky running-glue-in-hot-temp tape on the back of velcro).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure on the screws.. as far as the 3M tape I would think the same but we tend to under estimate the porous surface of the plastics? I tried getting my cab radio holder that way and it would not stick well to the plastics around the driver seat. Food for thought, I’m sure something can be made to work.
Same. 3M tape wouldn't hold even a radio mouthpiece when stuck to the plastic. I cleaned it and heated it up with an air gun, and waited a day. It held fine for a couple days then fell off when it was bright and sunny and was shining directly on the piece. I'd rather do screws or a bracket that grabbed on to the plastic edge by the glass.

·
Well then...
480 Posts
How cold was it and did you apply pressure for 20 seconds, and let it cure for 24 hours before putting a load on it?
I have used 0.5 x 1 inch strips above the shifter (below climate controls), sometimes longer and they have lasted.
Tonight I put a test strip where the Molle would touch, and after a day I will see how strong it holds there.
If 1 and 2 are used (hook and bolt), 3 and 4 could be 3M tape, have 2 inches of velcro maybe (better glue from 3M tape than from the sticky running-glue-in-hot-temp tape on the back of velcro).

View attachment 127488
This was at least 1-2 years ago, it was mild I know that because Vegas weather is extreme in summer. I also know I tried multiple, multiple times and different ways and different surfaces. I have the same problem with my sticker collection from state and national parks on the hatch, they always seem to want to come off and I end up using some gorilla glue to encourage them to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I've never had any issues getting 3m to hold my radio up. I have gorilla 2 sided holding my fuse box up in the driver foot well area and gorilla tape also holding my winch control box inside my bumper (granted yes that's metal vs plastic). Personally, I'd rather see the hook #1 used, and then 2 T / L style -brackets that attach to the back of the panel and you can wither double sided tape them down or have an option to just screw them down if the user wanted. Using bolt hole #2 is gonna get in the way of other crap. that's usually right where my fishing pole sits for me. I think keeping it contained within the window out line area is best. and yes my paint skills suck.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My overnight experiment with 2" by 1" red 30lb 3M tape, just below 3. in the picture:
after about 12 hours (first time I checked), I had to get my nails into it and still only made 1/4" progress, it was holding really good, as my experience has been with it... anywhere. Even outside rubber trim around (touching) the windows, inside everywhere..

Screw into plastic with body screws and right angle brackets would be always a choice.. 3M tape only an alternative.

Anyone tried plastic anchors in plastic in the car? Vs just screw into plastic without back support... Bolt and nut would be clumsy if you ever need to re-attach.

This was at least 1-2 years ago, it was mild I know that because Vegas weather is extreme in summer. I also know I tried multiple, multiple times and different ways and different surfaces. I have the same problem with my sticker collection from state and national parks on the hatch, they always seem to want to come off and I end up using some gorilla glue to encourage them to stay.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Anyone tried plastic anchors in plastic in the car? Vs just screw into plastic without back support... Bolt and nut would be clumsy if you ever need to re-attach.
Yep. After 3 months went back to nut and bolt. The anchors will spin in the plastic eventually.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rivnuts then. But needs a rivnut gun (and right sized rivnut for plastic thickness), so not for everyone.... bolt and nut for most then.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good idea until the panel moves and the bracket hits the glass and the window breaks.
Okay, so that but with a piece of silicone, felt, or any number of other materials stuck to the window-facing side of the bracket? Or a hard plastic bracket shaped to fit the bottom window area and hold a bracket.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have one interested prototype buyer, anyone else?

$52 shipped. PayPal payment.
Bare metal. Driver size model. Potentially extra hole to be either driver or passenger side. Could leave on Monday. You would see a picture before paying.
Probably 1/8 inch thick or 16 gauge (2 different thicknesses, do you have a preference?)
Prototype means that holes might not be where and how I want them. There may be a 1/8 inch difference in shape here and there from final.

I am just trying to see how many “changes” we can make...before final version.

current shape, 2 bolt (each side..just one hole so far) right angle bracket behind the bottom

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Targeting hot rolled 16 gauge steel. Was suggested. 11 gauge would be too heavy?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
16 gauge steel vs like 11 gauge aluminum for strength.. no benefit with aluminum suggested by people who know. Need heavier gauge and then you lose weight benefit.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Prices:
$52 shipped Prototype of which $12 is shipping

Target final:
$60 base
Extra for hardware, powder coating,shipping
All done locally. Powder coating can be done within a couple of days usually as long as we have enough volume (maybe 5, 10 is better). And all want same color. Medium gray anyone? Doesn’t black absorb more heat?

If you’re easy, prototype will do.
Otherwise you can wait.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Current layout.
Bottom single holes should be doubles for each, 2 screws holding in an L shaped bracket, attaches to plastic... still tbd
Top hole is for hanging -- this shape is for the passenger rear (my driver's side is too messy). But with another hole, this should fit driver side. (Wanting 1 product to fit both sides, easier for everyone)

Square holes will be rounded probably. Small holes are cute (in between big ones) but may bring up the price too much because of the CNC reality (number of restarts after a cut is complete). So it may be just the big holes, except for a deluxe version if someone really wants those small holes? Could be used for threads sticking out or bolts going in... something individually utilized in different ways. Choices are good, unless they cost too much.

Top hole is for the hook (reversed... easily) holding the weight

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Current layout.
Bottom single holes should be doubles for each, 2 screws holding in an L shaped bracket, attaches to plastic... still tbd
Top hole is for hanging -- this shape is for the passenger rear (my driver's side is too messy). But with another hole, this should fit driver side. (Wanting 1 product to fit both sides, easier for everyone)

Do you HAVE a DepHeps Molle panel? Look at one online if you don't.
I do have one and I can tell you that the panel will fit either side without two (2) different top holes. IMHO... you're making the left/right mounting too complicated. One panel will fit either side of the vehicle.

·
Well then...
480 Posts
I’m getting a prototype, if anyone need a write up on adding the hooks needed to your base model X, start here:

The part is about $8-10 range. Since I’m brining the headliner down anyways I’m buying all 4.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts