Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am starting the design of the rear window Molly.
I want this to be for me, and you.
Hopefully a single design, with the only variables being steel or aluminum materials. 1/8" thick. If there is a strong split desire, maybe 2 models.

After a few sales of the roXterra roof racks (2 types) on www.roXterra.com I am trying to add another tool to my and others' Xterras.

Personally I want to use only the left (driver's side - the last window before the rear window), achieving the following:
  • stabilizing attachment for my double stacked Thermarest (closed cell, rippled, rolled up) sleeping pads
  • attaching some tie-downs, rope pieces
  • maybe small fire extinguisher
  • i don't know what else, I always wish for small things to be easier to find
You can't see out this window anyway, and this area has been blocked by my stuff 24/7 since 2006, but still the immediate window area itself is not utilized.

Since I want to address others' wants too, getting answers to these would help, just copy and paste, then answer... Coming up with a common design, these could ship in the next few weeks.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Which of the following would you prefer
1) Steel or aluminum? Both? Either? How many of each (1,2,etc).

2) Which window (how many of each) - driver back, passenger back. Or some different odd shape, not at all on the window but next to it? Like a wide strip? Ceiling mounted strip?

2) Bare metal preferred? (or powder coated black, etc)

3) Hole size or shape or attachment desire? (Do you have a specific bolt thickness/etc you want to use for attachment) Holes fitting some special round carabiners?

4) How soon would you buy them? Prepay now, after seeing first copy, after someone else's feedback, when in stock, etc.

·
Well then...
480 Posts
1) Steel or aluminum? Both?

I'm not carrying it, so I would probably take which ever is the cheapest to purchase.

2) Which window (how many of each) - driver back, passenger back. Or some different odd shape, not at all on the window but next to it? Like a wide strip? Ceiling mounted strip?

I am with you, I would only do it on the driver side window as to avoid a blindspot.

2) Bare metal preferred? (or powder coated black, etc)

Bare metal might look pretty cool, especially considering that this product is mounted on the inside of the vehicle rust shouldn't be an issue for me. Maybe offer powder coat options and see what the difference would be?

3) Hole size or shape or attachment desire? (Do you have a specific bolt thickness/etc you want to use for attachment) Holes fitting some special round carabiners?

Is there such a thing as a standard molle spacing? I'm not sure here.

4) How soon would you buy them? Prepay now, after seeing first copy, after someone else's feedback, etc.

Your stuff seems very top notch, I'd be willing to be a guinea pig and pay when the product is ready to ship as long as the price is at a point where you make some money and I get to keep food in the refrigerator and gas in the X.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just one issue with bare steel, it will rust with moisture in the air...won’t take long. It needs some coating even if it’s with your own $6 primer+paint spray can.
One could just clear coat it for steel look but I would take a matte color instead.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
this sounds like a good idea, your right about that window basically being wasted space as you cant see out of it anyways.

1) Steel or aluminum? Both? Either? How many of each (1,2,etc). Aluminum, no rust, lighter, just be conscious of how much weight your putting on it, but it should be able to hold plenty though for its application and location.

2) Which window (how many of each) - driver rearmost window 1

2b) Bare metal preferred? (or powder coated black, etc) Bare- user can paint it color of choice. i wouldn't want black as it could get hot and heat up the inside of the vehicle or items attached to it. I'd probably spray it some sort of flat gray or something.

3) Hole size or shape or attachment desire? i would think a combination of like molle type cuts and maybe some holes or eyes for other types of attachments, or keep it mostly free of holes and let the user drill their own... for me I would like a good amnt of molle style attachment points with space left for adding customized mounting points as well.

4) How soon would you buy them? I'd want to at least see a finished example, preferably installed, before purchasing, also a ball park price would be good to know

I hope that helps

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Overall.... a couple of thoughts/comments

Price point has to be less than Dep Hep, which I believe is about $99 each.
Which window?? Well "one size fits all". If it works on the driver side it will work on passenger side.
Bare metal?? A lot can happen between your place and the buyers location. To prevent a "bad reputation" because something isn't quite right... powder coat. (Besides I'm lazy and don't want to spend the time chasing down someone to powder it.

Finally... I have one in the driver's side, and made one for the passenger side, so I wouldn't be in the market for one.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great input. Yes Molle Molle Molle

Most interest is in bare metal, with some interest in powder coating probably lighter color.

Some holes pattern, some blank for user drilled holes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1) Aluminum. 2 each.

2) Driver back, Passenger back. One of each.

2) Black powder coating.

3) Standard MOLLE spacing is fine.

4) Prepay now or when in stock. Depending on price.... Lets be realistic

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Curious, it seems like you're just re-making Hep products. I know the design is simple and not exactly complex but I guess its good to have others making very similar products? Not trying to be a d1ck, just honestly curious

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I want to use the driver back window and maybe the adjacent area as the go-to place for those "where did I put that" things that are light, used often. 10" pieces of rope, double sided velcro roll for tying things, flat screwdriver, scissors, a container/plastic bag with really tiny pieces like butt splices, tire valve caps, 2032 round watch sized batteries, always useful rag...

Like a garage wall organizer where you can find things by looking instead of opening cabinets.

I want it for me, and for others, and with input it can mature. Like the suggestion above for a plain area, so the user can drill his own holes -- input like that. And when those holes lose meaning, turn it 180 degrees and drill new ones down the road.

Cabinets with drawers sliding outwards work great for big things. My focus here is for the smaller things that are either in my center console, or the glove box, or the box above it, nor the area behind the driver seat, or passenger seat (when the car is setup as a 2 seater with folded down seats)... or it's in the drawer. Or under the window. Or under the seat. They would be a lot more visible held against the side. Then I wouldn't be looking in 7 wrong places before finding them.

Only so much fits under my seat, 2 screwdrivers, wheel lock, suntan spray from 2010,

Maybe a bolt should hold things, maybe some tensioned wire. Maybe the whole plate should swing sideways for mounting new things.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I'd be interested depending on the price. I've wanted one for awhile but it's always been hard for me to justify an 80% mark up over costs / materials / labor to buy a hep one. I was about make a cad file up to have my local water jet cutter cut me one for the $20 of metal and time on the machine it would take and just powder coat it myself but I guess I'll see how this plays out.

1. aluminum (probably 1/8th" I'd guess would be fine). driver rear only.
2. either.
3. standard molle spacing
4. depends on price. I would prepay or order after seeing a prototype and the mounting system

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if you do already, but if you decide to do the door molle's I'd be interested.

Curious, it seems like you're just re-making Hep products. I know the design is simple and not exactly complex but I guess its good to have others making very similar products? Not trying to be a d1ck, just honestly curious
While this is true, I had a pretty lame experience with my Hep's products via the vendor so having another, similar option on the market that will allow me to avoid giving my business to them would be much appreciated. I know it sounds petty but it is what it is.

Edit: That being said, I did notice that with my Heps rear window molles, I had ever so slightly a challenge with getting my pouch straps through to holes at the spacing/diameter of the Heps panels. I would have to go out and measure but I'd say its a matter of just making the holes a couple of mm taller (top to bottom)?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Do you mean the whole rear window molle -- K9 dog style?

I thought about the rear passenger glass window part, the part that doesn't go up and down, but swings open with the rear passenger doors opening.

I don't know if you do already, but if you decide to do the door molle's I'd be interested.

Getting an exact hole size you'd like would help a lot.
I say you, but you are probably not the only one to benefit...
Edit: That being said, I did notice that with my Heps rear window molles, I had ever so slightly a challenge with getting my pouch straps through to holes at the spacing/diameter of the Heps panels. I would have to go out and measure but I'd say its a matter of just making the holes a couple of mm taller (top to bottom)?
which window I am targeting first - the very back side one, the one you can't possibly see out of as a driver

The other side would be also good, with enough holes you can still make out shapes and some detail in traffic, but primarily it's the driver's side that I have unused space to pursue, and at eye level - high visibility to find stuff. My 25ft air hose for example would be well placed there, instead of taking up a hole bag elsewhere for itself and the inflation gauge.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

I haven't done any prototypes or modeling because my CNC machine support hasn't been there, but the moment it is, I want to be molle-ing everything.

The top stock hook can hold the weight, but sides could be velcroed to the plastic. 3M tape is good for replacing any glue (gluing to that other glue), and ages well.

Instead of screws going into plastic... velcro 4 inches here and there. Then you can re-adjust as your use changes.

I have that red 3M tape on the inside and outside of Xterra, if it sticks for 5 years in the sunlight and is still going strong, it will do inside. It comes off the plastic years later too, not always 100% but it's pretty close.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're working on rear window (both sides) prototypes now.
Which sized holes would you like, 2 inch wide bottom curving into 2.25" widest and 1 inch tallest?

Does anyone use the 511 Tactical Molle bags and can comment on which sized holes fit them?

·
Well then...
480 Posts
Not sure on the screws.. as far as the 3M tape I would think the same but we tend to under estimate the porous surface of the plastics? I tried getting my cab radio holder that way and it would not stick well to the plastics around the driver seat. Food for thought, I’m sure something can be made to work.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts