Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gen2 Xterra ladder
  • 12 inches wide inside stepping area in this prototype, will be cut to 10 inches instead
  • left side will be how it is, right size will be narrowed
  • left bar stays out of Pro-4X stock camera view as much as possible (camera view below)

Tubing: 1.25 inch up-down bars, 1 inch step bars
Material: steel
Finish: black powder coat

Current weight: 16lb ladder only (narrowing will drop 1 lb), mounts add about 3lb

Price: $400 +$40 shipping

Availability: ships within 1-3 weeks, depending on interest (more interest speeds things up)

First 2 will be done in a week (August 6) and powder coated within a week (by August 13).

Questions? Comments? You can message me directly or comment in here.
This is for passenger side.
Driver side version availability? Depends on interest, if there are 5 people interested it could happen.

Profile - 2.5 inches to 3 inches separation from glass and body (closer on very top and bottom)

Looks a bit wide, would be more comfortable at this 12 inches step width (inside width between up-down bars) but for looks 10 inches will do better?

mount top, bolts will be thicker, showing: either a locking nut, or a cap nut (acorn) with locking washer under it
Exhaust-like short tubes will be cut to minimum and closed

mount bottom
- small bolts from the outside bottom

Rear view on Pro-4X stock camera. Ladder bar to the left of camera shows partially

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X
23 Posts
For those of us without a backup cam, can you take a photo from the drivers seat looking out the rear glass?

Looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
788 Posts
This looks very interesting
so it gets mounted to the trim/lip of the door like it gets sandwiched on the top and bottom

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would be a little interested in the drivers side ones if there are more people interested would the price go down a little? Also any 3m stick on type solution instead of drilling

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I will take a photo tomorrow
For those of us without a backup cam, can you take a photo from the drivers seat looking out the rear glass?

Looks like a nice setup.
Steel wraps around the rim by about 1 inch on top and bottom, and something cushions metal on metal. Either a rubber trim piece or a taped piece.
Bolts are on the outside and attach these steel wrap brackets to the ladder itself, and the pull from the ladder
This looks very interesting
so it gets mounted to the trim/lip of the door like it gets sandwiched on the top and bottom
Yes 3M stick on tape is great, I have used the 30lb version for years, it will mold into rubber over years, but on plastic or metal is can be cleaned up afterwards if needed, it has some thickness to it...
The trim may work better on top lip (to protect stock paint, but on the bottom dirt accumulates and gets into the trim, so it's not great there, stick on would work better on the bottom at least.
Passenger side may be more popular, but if enough people want the driver side, it can be a group buy kind of deal, there just has to be enough interest. It may look like it's the same ladder flipped, but it gets a little more involved than that when putting them together. I want to have both sides at some point at the same times see how feasible that is, and if they could be joined for a "backpack" kind of carrier for off-the-highway transport of bigger and lighter items.
I would be a little interested in the drivers side ones if there are more people interested would the price go down a little? Also any 3m stick on type solution instead of drilling

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is the 12" step width looking? Unnecessarily wide?
I wanted a comfortable width for 2 feet together (or some items like Rotopax attached) but the 12" look too much. That is 12" of inside width of the steps. When I measured my 2 shoes width it was about 10".
The 12" look is an FJ Cruiser look someone said, we don't want that, do we?
10" is what I want to do.
The right bar would move in (left) 2 inches, the left one would stay as is, it has to, to not block the middle of the stock rear camera.

The key hole access on the back may be effected, it's totally clear now with 12" but it's within 1.5".
Does anyone ever put a key in there these days? I never have, power locks handle all door.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
788 Posts
would love to see later on how it gets mounted up close ..
its not like I am going to buy it now to be honest... I need to invest into my suspension first but this is something that is on my list of items I want in the future for sure !

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,229 Posts
Robert! Ida bought one of yours but I bought a Gobi earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I didn't want a ladder even months ago, but since Sherpa I keep wanting to mount things and my idea is for 2 ladders on mine, 1 for carrying things like Rotopax, and 1 for occasional climbing but also for looks, and i's nicer to open/close the hatch while holding the ladder!
It's also a wind shielded area there. I have carried awkward light packages for short distances which could have been mounted to 2 ladders back there (short distance, not highway). Or other bulky items which seem easier to mount there than on the roof. Dirty things or dripping things.

Did you get your ladder yet? Or do you have any input what you like/don't like about ladders, width, etc, etc?

Robert! Ida bought one of yours but I bought a Gobi earlier this year.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,229 Posts
I thought I didn't want a ladder even months ago, but since Sherpa I keep wanting to mount things and my idea is for 2 ladders on mine, 1 for carrying things like Rotopax, and 1 for occasional climbing but also for looks, and i's nicer to open/close the hatch while holding the ladder!
It's also a wind shielded area there. I have carried awkward light packages for short distances which could have been mounted to 2 ladders back there (short distance, not highway). Or other bulky items which seem easier to mount there than on the roof. Dirty things or dripping things.

Did you get your ladder yet? Or do you have any input what you like/don't like about ladders, width, etc, etc?
Yep. Got it a few months ago. Used it on my trip up to Black Rock Desert. The only negative I have about it is that I do have the backup camera and it's view is most definitely blocked by the ladder. Also a bit wider would be nice. Looks like you've already taken care of those problems. The rack is your slim aluminum that I picked up in Tucson from you. Works great! Only photo of it I got on the trip.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stock camera
Is that only on Pro-4X?
I saw a 2012 today and it didn’t have the camera from factory, was the camera on some years only?
Can anyone with the camera or Pro4X say what trim/year they have and with/without camera?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Stock camera
Is that only on Pro-4X?
I saw a 2012 today and it didn’t have the camera from factory, was the camera on some years only?
Can anyone with the camera or Pro4X say what trim/year they have and with/without camera?
AFAIK.... that option was only on Pro4.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks interesting. Can't wait to see the final production version!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts