Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

[MPS] Pocket Style Fender Flares**

FOR SALE 
52K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  PhullD 
#1 · (Edited)
Pocket Style Fender Flares

Hey X Community,

I finished making some pocket style fender flares that many members have been wondering about you can order them through my website in the link below or feel free to gather info about them on this thread.

www.x-trek.com

Fender Flares are an extension piece to your Xterra’s fender that provide additional coverage for your wheels and tires that stick out past the fender.

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.43.27 PM by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

20161208_095628 by
Features and Benefits
1. Fender Flares keep your Xterra in compliance with many states Vehicle Equipment Laws. They greatly lower the chances of getting pulled over and even fined for having tires that stick out past your fender.
2. Adds an additional 2 and a quarter inches of wheel coverage. They can be also be sanded down for less coverage.
3. Deflects dust and debris away from body paint. Preserving your paint and even resale value.
4. Uniquely style your vehicle like no one else. These flares come shipped ready to paint. They can easily be matched to your Xterra’s body paint or any other color you desire. They can be line-x, Rhino Line, or Kevlar Coated.
5. Easy to install. For most users these flares will require minimalistic drilling along with minor trimming. Preexisting factory holes can even be used as mounting points to fasten the flares.
6. For oversized wheels and tires, trimming out the entire wheel well portion of the flares and bolting the flares to the fender allows for coverage on extremely wide set ups.
Individual sets $650 + Shipping
Group Orders 7-10 sets $550 + Shipping

These are handcrafted and Made In America of the best quality. There's always the option to make cheap stuff in overseas, but these are quality.
What’s included
1. A set of fender flares that will cover both the front and rear wheel wells.
2. Rubber Trim for the edges of the flares.
3. Mounting Screws and 3M VHB Tape
Note- at the base price they come flat black, ready to paint and do not come with the bolts
Extras
1. Front bumper piece $50 Extra. (If you have a stock bumper you will want this piece. You won't need this piece if you have an aftermarket bumper)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/YLRa5E]
Front%20bumper%20piece_zpseroepmj4 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

2. Stainless Steel Short Bolts & Nuts (For bolt-on look) $55 Extra

3. Stainless Steel Long Bolts & Nuts (For actual bolt-on mounting) $95 Extra

4. Painted/Bed-lined $100 Extra

Installation and mounting

Xterra%20mounting%20pic_zpsecrs59ll-2 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

1. Remove mud flaps

2. Hold up the flares in place to the corresponding fender so they fit correctly. (Clamps work great to temporarily hold in place while mounting)

3. Using the screws provided, screw the flares to the under lip of the wheel well. (To secure the flares firmly use three screws for each part) Or if you have a wider suspension/wheel set up and you already trimmed out the underlip of the wheel well, you will have to bolt the flares to the sides of the xterra.

4. The rear door section can be mounted on by using industrial strength 3M VHB Tape (included). There is a flange on the back side of these flares that allows for the VHB tape to firmly mount the flares to the door.
(I don't recommend bolting this section to your xterra as putting holes in your doors will lead to your interior possibly being exposed to the environment)

Xterra%20rear%20mounting%20pic_zpsphogs55r by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

5. Trim flares where rubbing occurs or will occur when wheels are turned and suspension is bottomed out. Also if you do decide to mount the flares by using the bolting method be careful while drilling. You don't want to go to fast and puncture any of your Xterra's components. **This part is very important because if not trimmed the wheels can damage the flares.

Xterra%20bolt%20mounting%20pic_zpsfjo8hl04 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

Ordering:

You can order a set on my website: 3rd Gen Toyota Tacoma Grille Insert and Nissan Xterra Fender Flares

or send me a PM on here or email me at watki127@mail.chapman.edu and we can work out the details and payments via paypal.

When you send me an email include:
  • If you need the front bumper piece
  • If you would like the Short Bolts (for bolt on look) or long bolts (for actual bolt on mounting) or no hardware (if you'd like to get them yourself)
  • If you want them painted
  • Your address

FAQ's

1. Won't adding the fender flares lower the room I have for wheel clearance and cause more rubbing?

Not necessarily because the areas that get rubbing you trim out.

2. Are there returns?

No, buy at your own risk, you can always resell them. If you think there is something wrong or missing with the flares I will be happy to help and make things right.

3. What are they made out of?

Fiberglass

4. What if I they get damaged?

Fiberglass is easy to repair, paint, and work with.

5. How do they fit?

Most sets will fit without having to do any adjustments but not every Xterra is exactly the same nor will everyone have the same tire and suspension set up. In some cases you may need to sand down or do some minor modifications depending on your set up. In most cases they will fit but don't be be surprised if you have to do some minor tweaking. Most modifications can be done with the most basic tools such as sand paper and a Dremel in a small amount of time.

6. Will these fit with Rock Sliders?

Not all rock sliders are the same so I cannot answer that for all of them. The only area where rockslides could cause hindering with mounting and fitment is below the rear door section. To give you an idea if the flares will fit with the sliders, the flares hang down below the rear door section about 4 inches and are 4.5 inches wide. If it is a tight fit you can always sand them down.

FullSizeRender-27 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

FullSizeRender-26 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

IMG_2410 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-27%20at%2011.00.23%20AM_zpsh7qxfwbv by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

20170710_171722 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 5.12.12 PM by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

IMG_2409 by Travis Watkins, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I will be adding more pictures soon

For now this is the best pic I got of the gas cap side.

The picture is before I combined the rockler panels and the rear door section into one piece. So If you purchase a set the rocker panel and rear door section are now one piece. .

If you don't like the cut out in the flares where the gas cap is, there will be an option for a cover over the gas gap in the near future.

It will be probably be held in place by magnets and be tied on by a string. So when you fill up for gas and lift the cut out piece off the magnets it will be held on by the string. Kinda like how a gas cap dangles when you fill up for gas.

Here's what the cut out piece would look like just without the hinge.

#10 ·
@AlbatrossCafe, just get these. They're only like $800.
Lol... $600 shipped I could maybe swing but 800 is rough. It's too bad cus these are one of the best looking exterior mods IMHO, especially for green.

When are we gonna get a full 360 degree walk around/pics with the completed flares installed on an X? All the pictures I've ever seen have been of partially completed or partially installed flares

#14 ·
That X is Kuma.

Fell free to check out his review below is the link. He did not end up installing the rears because he had the beta (prototype) set that did not fit with his sliders. However, I have modified the flares to where they now will fit with most sliders without any modifications.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/50-members-xterra/87241-dexterra-21.html

#18 · (Edited)
Great looking stuff, I'm happy you are making these!

Two questions:

(1) What do I do if I have cut fenders for 35" wheels? I assume I could cut the front pieces to the same shape, but aren't they hollow inside? So cutting the front part off will reduce their rigidity and make the edge of the fiberglass very brittle. It will easily chip off, so likely not a solution for trimmed fenders?

(2) I read it in the other post that the latest version of the rear door piece is together with the rocker panel piece. Can you post a picture of it with the door open?

#19 ·
Thanks for your inquiry.

1. Yes the fender flares are hollow however fiberglass is pretty strong stuff. If you already trimmed your fenders to fit 35's and then cut the fender flares to that shape of the cutout, the flares should be able to hold up well. I can even add layers of fiberglass to add strength if you'd like.

Another option is rather than following the cut out of your fenders is only trim the inner lip of the fender flares that would go inside the wheel well and bolt the flares to your rig. That way you will see the arch of the fender flares while still giving your tires the clearance they need. But if you like the shape of your cutout then just follow that.

2. I will post a picture soon of the rear door section.

#21 ·
No problem, I think as long as you have some masking tape I don't think it would be too difficult to get some clean lines.

I really am not sure if they would clear those sliders or not. It might be pretty close but even if they don't all you'd have to do is just carve out a small cut for the sliders to fit.

To help give you an idea I've posted a picture of the rear door section. The first two pictures are before I fused the two sections together. The last picture is when I combined the sections however I they do not hang as low as that last picture. Sorry I am currently away from my Xterra and these are the best pictures I have for now.

The final parts don't hang as low.

#39 ·
I had 3M tape holding vent guards on 2 Xterras for years. Desert mostly. Feels like a very strong bond.
More weight? Use more tape or use VHB (very high bond) 3M tape. Apply pressure while curing.

You can drill sheet metal and then etcher paint over bare metal. Jack nuts would need big holes.
Nutserts? Jacknuts are recommended for thin or soft material (sheet Mets or plastic)

#40 ·
And the drilling has begun.
There is no other way. There is no backing to tape to sheet metal.
first hole is the hardest
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

2 wood screws pave the road (just to hold it)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Front view
Parts come roughly sanded, not around bolt cut outs and you want to sand there because that’s where peeling will start.
Prep is most important part of painting
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle Car

next steps? Bigger holes
5/16” nutserts needing quite bigger holes. Way less barbaric then sheet metal screws holding all.
afyer holes: etcher to protect exposed bare sheet metal. Then nut seers and screws bolting into nut serts. On and off without future damage to metal metal or paint.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.